Rhule or Sanders

HuskerX

After watching the Colorado/TCU game, who would you rather have as Huskers Head Coach?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Matt Rhule or Deion Sanders

• Rhule
    • Sanders

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/13/2023 at 01:21 AM

36 minutes ago, corncraze said:

Ugh this makes my head hurt. So Deion inherits a significantly worse team, he pulls in more talent than us, beats us by 3 possessions, doubles CU’s Ws from last year in just 2 games while we’re 0-2, but somehow we have the better coach. I envy your optimism.

Judging a coach two games into his first season seems like an unreasonable adventure. This goes both ways though, 0-2 start doesn’t mean a coach is bad, nor does 2-0 mean a coach is automatically good. Has Deion brought Colorado back to relevance? Yes. Is the media hyping them more than deserved? Also yes. 

There is no argument that Deion is an excellent recruiter. I do have to point out that he inherited a 1-11 team on paper, but cleared out 90%? of that team’s roster. So not exactly an apples to apples comparison YoY. His disregard for program culture or team unity works when they’re winning. The true test will be to see how that plays when the team and players face adversity. 

My perspective is that Rhule is a program builder and an above average college head coach. Given the state of our program since Pelini, I believe Rhule is a better fit in rebuilding our program for sustainable success. 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

20 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Based on your sarcasm and the six days of analysis you took before the reply, it is possible that both are in fact true. Deion and his high powered offense with "allegedly" two Heisman contenders putting up a zero 25 minutes into the game would not be considered "good." Rhule made it pretty clear that they didn't want to get into a shootout. Having hit the post on a field goal and a fumble on the first possession result in zero points given up, 0-0 seemed like a decent spot to be in for us. < It does helps that we were averaging 4-5 yards per rush at that point despite having nothing on the scoreboard. 

In the end, yes Colorado won and their offense took advantage of our miscues. They have some talented players and to their credit, they did make some halftime coaching adjustments to help themselves get going in the second half. However, I still do believe that Rhule is the better coach for our program than Deion would have been and strongly believe that using the first two games as the barometer of whether we made the right or wrong choice between the two is foolish. 

To be fair, this is an overwhelming amount of mental gymnastics.   It takes a while to sort out.  I still don't think we disagree that much.  Based on everything you've said we both agree that Sanders is better at acquiring talent and getting them ready to play.  Even if you take the scenic route getting there.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, The Dude said:

To be fair, this is an overwhelming amount of mental gymnastics.   It takes a while to sort out.  I still don't think we disagree that much.  Based on everything you've said we both agree that Sanders is better at acquiring talent and getting them ready to play.  Even if you take the scenic route getting there.

Haha whatever you say man. Deion is a good recruiter, but recruiting does not equal coaching. And no, I am not yet convinced that he is better at getting his players ready to play nor better at building a program. But I don’t view that based on a single game or month. 

Again, judging a coach two games in should not be how we determine whether the coach will be successful long-term.

• Plus1 3
11 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Haha whatever you say man. Deion is a good recruiter, but recruiting does not equal coaching. And no, I am not yet convinced that he is better at getting his players ready to play nor better at building a program. But I don’t view that based on a single game or month. 

Again, judging a coach two games in should not be how we determine whether the coach will be successful long-term.

Recruiting is part of the job description of being a coach, probably the most important part.  That might be where we disagree.  

I don't think anyone here would be saying "we can judge yet!" if it was Rhule doing a significantly better job than Sanders.  We can totally judge the job they've done so far.

• TBH 2
21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Recruiting is part of the job description of being a coach, probably the most important part.  That might be where we disagree.  

I don't think anyone here would be saying "we can judge yet!" if it was Rhule doing a significantly better job than Sanders.  We can totally judge the job they've done so far.

Sure, recruiting is important, but developing the talent is more important from my perspective. The Frost era should have taught us that recruiting alone does not mean good coaching. I think looking at wins/losses alone is foolish this early into his tenure.

I see signs of improvement and development from Rhule that encourages me that we made a good choice. Some of those include leading the nation in sacks after two games, being top ten in rushing defense (under 2 yards per attempt), and averaging over five yards per rushing attempt. Doing all this with largely the same group of players as last year. I'm excited to see how they continue to develop the players and I'm hopeful that the wins will follow with time. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

51 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Sure, recruiting is important, but developing the talent is more important from my perspective. The Frost era should have taught us that recruiting alone does not mean good coaching. I think looking at wins/losses alone is foolish this early into his tenure.

I see signs of improvement and development from Rhule that encourages me that we made a good choice. Some of those include leading the nation in sacks after two games, being top ten in rushing defense (under 2 yards per attempt), and averaging over five yards per rushing attempt. Doing all this with largely the same group of players as last year. I'm excited to see how they continue to develop the players and I'm hopeful that the wins will follow with time. 

Nebraska defense 8 sacks

Shadeur Sanders 0 turnovers

• TBH 2

I’ve wanted to find holes in the Coach Prime methodology.  I don’t like it, but the fact is it’s working.

I watched nearly all of their 3 games and I have new theory after yesterday.

Theres no doubt coach prime has improved Colorado, but he is not the major reason they are successful.  It’s the elite QB play of Shadeur.  He’s on a different level than just about everyone I’ve seen this year.

They are going to start losing games as the schedule gets tougher but that kid is special.  I believe prime would be struggling without his son at QB.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I’ve wanted to find holes in the Coach Prime methodology.  I don’t like it, but the fact is it’s working.

Theres no doubt coach prime has improved Colorado, but he is not the major reason they are successful.  It’s the elite QB play of Shadeur.  He’s on a different level than just about everyone I’ve seen this year.

They are going to start losing games as the schedule gets tougher but that kid is special.  I believe prime would be struggling without his son at QB.

They have an elite QB and great skill positions. It will allow them to beat some of the weaker teams on their schedule. But if you've watched CU football this year you have noticed they get dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. They are not a top 25 team and it will show when they play one. It's not even a dig, they weren't supposed to be great this year and I really don't think they are. It takes time to build the lines even if you are Prime and they are not even close to there yet. They are lucky Shedur rarely if ever makes a mistake. He is a special talent for sure.

57 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They have an elite QB and great skill positions. It will allow them to beat some of the weaker teams on their schedule. But if you've watched CU football this year you have noticed they get dominated at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. They are not a top 25 team and it will show when they play one. It's not even a dig, they weren't supposed to be great this year and I really don't think they are. It takes time to build the lines even if you are Prime and they are not even close to there yet. They are lucky Shedur rarely if ever makes a mistake. He is a special talent for sure.

CSU shot them selves in the foot several times. The “pick” penalty in 2OT was a weak call.

CSU < WSU/OSU/OU/Usc/UW/UU/UCLA. Those teams will thump Colorado and the love affair will end.

State of Colorado football is dirty, that game last night had to be an officials nightmare. 

• Plus1 1

I watched some of the CU/CSU game and heard the sideline guy (I think) say that Sanders told him “they aren’t there yet and he still needs 6 or 7 more dudes”. 

Well hell, if NU had 6 or 7 more dudes on offense, NU would be a top 15 team also with the defense the team has.   I don’t understand how the reporter thought that was some big revelation.   Quite a few teams might be to 20 teams with “6-7 more dudes”. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

"Coach Prime" made Colorado better.  They have been so bad, that even modest improvement would be noticeable.  Deion actually made them A LOT better.  Top 25? Probably not... Bowl eligible and compete with some ranked teams? Definitely.

But what Deion is doing is not something every new coach at every school will be able to do.  And it shouldn't be expected by anyone not hiring "Deion" or someone comparable to his football fame.  He is a "persona" that knows football.  Kids follow and Deion is smart enough to bring in great coaches and some great players who personally bought into Sanders.  IF he stays at Colorado and keeps his assistants, I can see them being really good down the road.  But any school hiring "John Smith" from "SW Atlantic State" that had an imaginative offense and expect him to rebuild a team in one year through the transfer portal has an asinine expectation

In regards to the Huskers, no way Rhule (or Beilema, or Fickell, or etc.) could have pulled off the same results.  And the long term results are TBD, once Sanders' personal connection to his QB, WR/DB, and RB wear off.  Ending the season 7-5 (which is really a TREMENDOUS improvement and worthy of coach of the year) might do a lot to wear off the shine.  It's a crazy situation.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

CSU shot them selves in the foot several times. The “pick” penalty in 2OT was a weak call.

CSU < WSU/OSU/OU/Usc/UW/UU/UCLA. Those teams will thump Colorado and the love affair will end.

State of Colorado football is dirty, that game last night had to be an officials nightmare. 

CSU also had some bonehead penalties.  The dude that hit Hunter should have got tossed.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

*moves goal posts*