What did we learn? Colorado edition

Jeff Sims should not be in a role that requires him to pass or hand the ball off.  If he can't make plays as a runner, he can't make plays period. 

Our backup QBs are actually worse than Sims.  I have no explanation for how such a thing is possible. 

Our defense is forced to do way too much because our offense continues to put them in unwinnable situations.  

• TBH 1

Shedeur Sanders is probably the best QB in college football. CU will go as far as he takes them. They are a legit top 25 team with him at QB, but they'll struggle to win if he gets hurt.

Nebraska has improved noticeably on the defensive side of the ball. Sims is awful as a QB. The OL continues to suck, so we can't get a running game going consistently. I still think we're a 2 win team, but our defense might get us another win or two with some lucky bounces.

• Haha 6
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, C-4 said:
  • If Sims is the prototype, Rhule prioritizes the wrong aspects at QB (i.e., athleticism over being a QB).
  • There has been no tailoring of the offense to Sims' skillset by Satterfield. Sims is our biggest issue right now, but even when we move on from him, Satterfield will continue to dampen the O.
  • Our defense showed moxie, but Colorado and especially Minnesota are two of the worst offenses we'll face this year (and Colorado still had several offensive TD's). I can't say we've learned yet that they're very good.

Lol, what? We don’t face another team this year with the collection of qb and wr/ rb speed and talent Colorado has. Michigan included.

ppl overlooking the biggest reason Deion is pulling this off, his son is an electric qb who selectively runs and has a quick throw with zip. I love the way he plays, reminds me of a slimmer/quicker jt Barrett 

• Plus1 2

It was fun here at Reed’s Tavern down here south in Lone Tree. Great crowd, great service. 

our defense plays well enough to win. Hate to say it this early in the season, but I hope our locker room doesn’t start to divide cuz our offense is so bad they deserve some side eyes from our defense. 

like I said in the Duke v Clemson thread:

how is it possible that perennially crap teams can put something together for a game or two but we just cannot?  Hell, KU looked decent last night. Can we ever just look competent? 

we have a huge plug in our asses as a program. We need to pull that plug and just play some damn fun football, go for broke, lighten up, make plays. 

defense A-

offense D-

I said it last week and I’ll say it again. 
We need to return to old school.

I see that with the defense, lots of sacks and positive things today tacking in space. Just got gassed worn out because our offense is the worst in Power 5.

Stop with the poor QBs, slot WRs, lightweight RBs.  We are not getting that talent away from like 40 other teams that do it waaaaaaay better. This team needs to be rebuilt on the lines, especially the offensive line. REBUIlD THE OL OR GTFO. 

Sims has to sit. You can’t keep trotting a turnover machine out there. Get him into the portal.  He has singlehandedly cost us more than any player I can remember.

You may not like Deion but the guy is right. Talent wins football games.  He cleaned house and brought in talent.  He saw the landscape of college football and took huge advantage of it.  I am not bashing Rhule but he can’t waste this season now. He needs to change his QB, and I actually would applaud firing Raiola. That was the most stupid move keeping him chasing his nephew and taking Sims over Thompson, season crushing decisions. 

You have to start identifying OL talent and become an OL pound you in the ground offense.  Defense and OL rebuilds Nebraska, not one QB recruit. Once you do this you can get skill guys to come play here.  We are taking ACC rejects thinking we are now a legit offense, it’s a joke.  Win the LOS, win the game.  

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Does Nebraska go a full decade between bowl appearances? 

This season is over 10 days in, and the foundation for the future doesn't exist on the roster right now. 

We do have some foundational pieces. Honestly, I wish Ty rob was suspended the whole game so Lendhardt was forced in more, guy is a stud and could be something special.

I imagine we start seeing the young guys next week, particularly at wideout. Bullock isn’t out running anyone and if he can’t catch, what’s the point in having him out there 

• Plus1 2

I learned that it doesn't matter who our coach is, our players cannot get the job done. Deion completely restructured a bad team and beat the defending national runner-up (facts are facts) and a 5-time national champion team and sits 2-0 while winning 2 games seems like a benchmark for a successful season if those games are Iowa and Wisconsin.

Just now, gossamorharpy said:

We do have some foundational pieces. Honestly, I wish Ty rob was suspended the whole game so Lendhardt was forced in more, guy is a stud and could be something special.

I imagine we start seeing the young guys next week, particularly at wideout. Bullock isn’t out running anyone and if he can’t catch, what’s the point in having him out there 

I think they are promising on defense, but on offense? 

This can't get worse on offense, so maybe that's a saving grace.

1 minute ago, walksalone said:

so next year we’ll win 4-5 games as opposed to possibly 2-3 this year?

I'm with you. Improvement isn't even a given from year 1 to year 2 of a coaching regime (look how our offense went backward under Frost; we technically lost our minimum number of games with Pelini in his first year, etc). Let's stop with the cliche and look at what, if anything, is being built for a better 2024+. 

This 0-2 start is going to hurt recruiting, especially QB recruiting.  It's going to hurt our momentum for the rest of the current schedule. Rhule is losing fan support. 

So what is currently being developed for next year+? Are we as fans supposed to just believe that it's stuff we can't see and are we supposed to just go with the "it takes time to rebuild" cliche?

Note: I'm not saying we fire Rhule. Obviously that's stupid at this point and for the forseeable future. I just expect more out of a coach at this point. 

• TBH 2