Triaging the QB room

Scarlet

37 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

No, Rhule  said it was described as a high-ankle sprain on the field but didn't appear to be the multi-week kind. Sounded like we expect Sims to play Saturday, but too early to say for sure.

Yeah if I am Rhule I bench him for a game for performance. No way you can have a performance like that and have no consequences. I predicted we go 1-11 anyways and I stand by that Northern Illinois in not a game a believe we can win with Sims at the helm. I don’t think we can win with HH either, but if we don’t turn over the ball we have a chance

At this point, I find it hard to justify keeping Sims as a starter with how many turnovers he has had and his apparent discomfort in the passing game and making good decisions with the football. I completely understand why someone like Grant with a fumbling problem might get benched faster than a starting QB with a turnover problem (fair or not, QB's are just treated different). But, it's so incredibly hard to believe that between Purdy and Haarberg, one of them couldn't at least hand the ball off and make a few important throws while avoiding turning the ball over.

I didn't get to watch all of the Colorado game, but of the bits I caught of the first half, Nebraska looked like the better team on the lines of scrimmage. Maybe that was just bias of the 10-15 plays I got to see, but it looked like Nebraska had an advantage there to exploit if they just. don't. turn. the. ball. over.

And if Sims really is better than those two despite being a lock for one turnover per quarter, what an absolute dumpster fire of a QB room. It's so bad that's it's almost unbelievable that they could be any worse.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2

I think the. "the 2nd string guy can't be that bad" comments are not remembering history all that well.  All one has to look at is the Texas Tech debacle where Callahan, basically said you want the backup, you got him.

And last year or the year before when Frost benched Martinez and started McCaffery and he proceeded to piss down his leg under pressure.  I'm sure there are others out there, but those are two off the top of my head.

2nd string QBs are there for a quarter or two if your main guy goes down, that's it.  There are very few programs in the country that could trot out their 2nd string QB and keep winning. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

So help me understand something. Shadeur said the huskers were disrespecting CU by meeting in the middle of the field, on the logo. But they were praying and having a moment of silence? Did I miss something? Didn’t Rhule say he asked him if he wanted to pray? 

ya know…….smh. How many years does he have left? I want him in Lincoln next year. 

3 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

So help me understand something. Shadeur said the huskers were disrespecting CU by meeting in the middle of the field, on the logo. But they were praying and having a moment of silence? Did I miss something? Didn’t Rhule say he asked him if he wanted to pray? 

ya know…….smh. How many years does he have left? I want him in Lincoln next year. 

A lot of great players invent slights and disrespect as motivation. Quite possible he didn't buy Rhule's explanation and still considered disrespectful, also quite possible it had no impact and he just wanted to say something. But it's pretty common for players to take things personally to fuel their competitiveness, whether or not they actually beleive it was meant to be an insult.

Just now, Husker in WI said:

A lot of great players invent slights and disrespect as motivation. Quite possible he didn't buy Rhule's explanation and still considered disrespectful, also quite possible it had no impact and he just wanted to say something. But it's pretty common for players to take things personally to fuel their competitiveness, whether or not they actually beleive it was meant to be an insult.

Oh I get all that and I know it’s common. But it’s goofy to me. 

• TBH 1
8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Chubba is the QB2, great.  He's supposed to be the better passer.

They both threw for around 55ish% their senior year of high school. Chubba had way more passing attempts than Haarberg that season and he wound up with over 3,300 yards passing to Haarberg's 1,857.

I think both players have some real potential and it would be amazing to see them both stick with the program without transferring.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, mwj98 said:

:lol:  All we're expected to do is praise excessively. 

It's not the first time and it won't be the last teams set foot on a logo. It didn't take much to get into their heads. So what if a visiting team does it. Instead of flipping your lid and taking your helmet off, focus on the game. Taking things personally like that gets you nowhere. I'd be saying the same thing if one of our players pulled a stunt like that and whined. A little different situation, that kind of thing could potentially cost your team a game. 

Coach Sanders won't say much if anything at all about fans chanting obscenities at their guests though. The vandalizing of their property, bottle throwing, balloons with urine in them and all the rest fans have come accustomed. "That's not what we're all about"? Probably not. 

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, does this mean Sims is out for the next 4-5 weeks?

I saw this coming in advance.  It was only a matter of time.  Only question was when and against who will he bail out against?  He's done this his entire CFB career. 

Played one game against FSU in 3 years, and never against Georgia.  I doubt he will be healthy to play against Michigan, if you ask him.  

Seen Gtech play every year since the 90's (football and basketball), and this his MO.  When adversity hits him straight in the face, he goes to the sideline.  Nice kid and all, but just isn't tough and not a leader.  Every year, it's a sore foot, a bad ankle, blah blah blah.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Those having inflated egos are known to interpret things as an attack, disrespect, etc. It involves a lot of emotional immaturity. These types really believe things are intended to be an insult. 

I'm not a religious person but I say whoever wants to pray, let them. Anywhere on the field.  I'll take the guy who's faith is personal for him and doesn't use it to manipulate and exploit. JMO

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3
7 hours ago, soup said:

I think the. "the 2nd string guy can't be that bad" comments are not remembering history all that well.  All one has to look at is the Texas Tech debacle where Callahan, basically said you want the backup, you got him.

And last year or the year before when Frost benched Martinez and started McCaffery and he proceeded to piss down his leg under pressure.  I'm sure there are others out there, but those are two off the top of my head.

2nd string QBs are there for a quarter or two if your main guy goes down, that's it.  There are very few programs in the country that could trot out their 2nd string QB and keep winning. 

In general, I agree. The backup QB is always the most attractive player on the team unless you have a Heisman caliber QB.

To adjust what I posted earlier, I'm lamenting less the backups not playing, but more the poor execution of the starter and what that suggests about the QB room. It's incredible to see that a QB who has has helped produce 17 points and 7 turnovers in seven quarters of football is truly their best option at QB. And if that's true (which, apparently it is, given the fact that Rhule said he would be the starter sans whatever is going on with his injury) then that's an unfortunate indictment of what is in the current QB room.

The only real reason you'd keep Sims as a starter based on what he's done so far is because you think he still gives you the best chance to win, and that's just a really tough pill to swallow based on his performance so far.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Undone said:

Part of what's hard is that it's only been two games and I can't be the only person asking how good our two opponents really were. It seems like Minnesota still has a very good defense this year, at least.

What I've seen so far makes me think that either we just aren't executing very well out of the heavy sets or we need to back off of them quite a bit. Maybe you have your TE or fullback in the pistol but then you've got 3 receivers split out. We're just not getting out into space when these big guys go out for passes out of the heavy sets from what I've seen, but maybe I'm way off.

Back to the Ravens though: The stuff they did with Mark Andrews was so good over the period that Greg Roman was there.

Great points:  Heavy sets can definitely be counter intuitive if you can't put multiple defenders in conflict.  Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I thought Rhule teams were known for RPO's, and I can't recall many plays that would fall in that category.  

• Plus1 1

I was looking over a Gamecocks board and they feel bad for us.  One thing that stood out was them talking about the complexity of Satts playbook.  Said that they beat UT and Clemson because Satt was told to pare down the playbook.  Said he tries to run a very complex playbook that would work in the NFL as guys have a lot of time to learn and practice.  College not so much.  I hope Rhule sets him down and says this is what each QB can do more often than not.  Sh!t can the rest.  I need plays for each one that they can execute in their sleep.  If it’s only 10 plays then give me multiple formations to run them from.  They need to set Sims down and explain the basics of football to him.  For example in the presser Rhule said Ron Brown advised you might want to have Sims just fall on the ball instead of getting away from it……WTH.  Why should this even be a conversation.  Why does it take Brown to point this out.  What has Rhule and Co been doing…

A lot of stuff here regarding that conversation.  Rhule and Co teaching Sims to get away from the ball.  Also Rhule isn’t planning a quick fix.  Not in his DNA:

“This is kinda what you get when you hire me. It’s not gonna be a quick fix, not overnight," he added. "It’s gonna be, what we believe, built to last. It's going to be built on rock. So we take advantage of these painful, painful moments. We sit there and our goal right now is say to ourselves as a coaching staff in three years, ‘We did our best coaching during these weeks.’ So I understand if there’s frustration. ... But we’re trying to learn how to win. We're trying to learn how to win. That's everything."

You best way to learn to win Rhule?  Friggin do it.  And maybe realizing that turning the ball over 36% of the time isnt teaching anyone a damn thing, but that we are playing the wrong guy at QB, that we have no other QB, you have set of double standards or that you can’t develop guys to be better….

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/article/husker-head-coach-matt-rhules-monday-press-conference-after-the-colorado-loss-before-playing-northern-illinois-215957392/

From another article and painfully true.  No QB, wasted rebuild year…

"Nebraska doesn't have any weapons, they don't have a good offensive coaching staff and they clearly picked the wrong quarterback. They're not gonna make a bowl," said CBS Sports' Tom Fornelli this past weekend on the Cover 3 College Football Podcast. "... You can do a lot of things 'right' in your rebuild — whether it's going to 50 guys in the transfer portal, or going to five guys and then relying on vets. But if one of the guys you pick in the transfer portal is the wrong QB, it is going to derail your rebuilding efforts at least in that first year. Matt Rhule picked the wrong QB in the transfer portal, and it is killing them."

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, lo country said:

No QB, wasted rebuild year…

Not picking on your semantics, just some thoughts on this.

In your other quote of Rhule, he basically says that he isn't going to look for a short term solution for a couple games or just one season. Now for me, I don't really love the sound of that. I think if we don't get to a bowl game with this easier schedule and the upperclassmen that we have that it's a total failure.

But, a "rebuild year" means setting up for the future. "Rebuild" implies long term, not "right now," right?

It is a bit weird though thinking about whether or not the staff would beg Sims to come back for a super senior year. Have to play more games to figure that one out though.

• Fire 1