What did we learn? La Tech version

Red Five

I learned we need to build around the O that Sims and HH are capable of running “successfully” ie minimal TO’s.  Read Ron Brown has been helping to teach how receivers blocked under TO and how to run that style option.  2 back sets.  PA passing.  Use dives and counters.  Lean on the running game.  Pass enough to keep the D from constantly putting 8 in the box.  (Actually pitch on the option sometimes). Let the D keep us in the games (or win them).  Potentially boring, but potential to win at least 4 more.  

9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Umm, that was 30 years ago, and even then we didn’t rely on the QB running the ball like we are this season. NU has already had to play 3 QB’s in 4 games due to QB’s picking up injuries. It’s not a recipe for long-term success.

I know you think NU needs to run the triple option like the military academies, but you will see how bad of an idea that is this coming Saturday against Michigan. 

I wouldn’t run the option like the academies don’t think anyone thinks that. I wouldn’t even run like Osborn did with almost a 3rd of the offense being the option. I would run the option a little more like solich as a speed option but I would only run it 10-15% of the time. I think rhule had a nice balance of when he uses it. Run it just enough to make teams have to prepare for it and run it just well enough we can even run it to the short side of the field. I would still revolve my offense around the power running game, and I would make up the difference of running the option less by passing more than we did back in the day and I would sprinkle in some trick plays. Until we get better in the passing game we will have to run it more. We don’t have to be an option team to have it be part of our identity, but I was reading an article it was talking about the old school is the now new school. A lot of the coaches and teams don’t even know how to prepare for the option as well as they use to and it was very difficult even when we did run it all the time and they would prepare for it every year they had to play us. Plus kids these days aren’t as disciplined as they were 30 years ago. Not advocating we should do what we did 30 years ago but it could be a part of what we do, but we will see what Rhule does with it. Right now it looks like it’s what’s working. We have basically a walk on backup qb, our top two running backs out, young wr and no downfield threat and a very shaky offensive line especially on the left side yet he is still managing to put out on the field a reasonable offense. Running the option has been a big part of that far under HH it has been our best play, I’m actually pretty impressed with what Rhule is doing considering what he has to work with. There’s a lot of potential here and we can certainly build on it

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised we trip up against Illinois on a Friday night after a physical game against Michigan. While Illinois looks its worst since Lovie, I can see NU going out s#!tting the bed and giving the game away in the end.

Sure, NU sucks too.  But so does every team in the west.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, ndobney said:

I wouldn’t run the option like the academies don’t think anyone thinks that. I wouldn’t even run like Osborn did with almost a 3rd of the offense being the option. I would run the option a little more like solich as a speed option but I would only run it 10-15% of the time. I think rhule had a nice balance of when he uses it. Run it just enough to make teams have to prepare for it and run it just well enough we can even run it to the short side of the field. I would still revolve my offense around the power running game, and I would make up the difference of running the option less by passing more than we did back in the day and I would sprinkle in some trick plays. Until we get better in the passing game we will have to run it more. We don’t have to be an option team to have it be part of our identity, but I was reading an article it was talking about the old school is the now new school. A lot of the coaches and teams don’t even know how to prepare for the option as well as they use to and it was very difficult even when we did run it all the time and they would prepare for it every year they had to play us. Plus kids these days aren’t as disciplined as they were 30 years ago. Not advocating we should do what we did 30 years ago but it could be a part of what we do, but we will see what Rhule does with it. Right now it looks like it’s what’s working. We have basically a walk on backup qb, our top two running backs out, young wr and no downfield threat and a very shaky offensive line especially on the left side yet he is still managing to put out on the field a reasonable offense. Running the option has been a big part of that far under HH it has been our best play, I’m actually pretty impressed with what Rhule is doing considering what he has to work with. There’s a lot of potential here and we can certainly build on it

Paragraphs are your friend my man.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 2

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I keep seeing this comment. 

which option play should have he pitched in?  They literally never committed to stopping him. Now, Michigan will. So that will be interesting to watch. 

Yep!

Rule one when running the option, do not pitch it if you don't have to pitch it.

Rule one on defending the option, make the QB pitch it.  There is a chance of a f#&% up.

LaTech never really got close to making HH pitch.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I hate bagging on individuals, but it's hard to watch.

He looks like he doesn't even belong on the field.  Like he's someone's kid or has naked pictures of a staff member.

Oh well. They are all paid to play now. You’re not taking shots at his character. He is just a future office worker like the rest of us. Just one that will be 6’6”. 

I don’t even want him at guard. He is just awful. 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Decked said:

Oh well. They are all paid to play now. You’re not taking shots at his character. He is just a future office worker like the rest of us. Just one that will be 6’6”. 

I don’t even want him at guard. He is just awful. 

I'm with you.  I often watch games and think back to the glory days.  I was never an o lineman, but if I had to ask myself "How would I look as a Tackle at Nebraska?", I could just watch his film.

• TBH 1