What did we learn Michigan Game

1 minute ago, The Maudfather said:

It wasn't pretty last season, but they're off to a good start so far this year. Lost to what may very well be a quality Miami team and are a 2.5 point underdog to Alabama this weekend. 

So, it took them a year with the same staff and using NIL to develop the team.

We are in year one of that.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

22 hours ago, Enhance said:

So, I have a genuine NIL question (not trying to be argumentative): does anyone know if we have raw data to analyze Nebraska's NIL efforts, specifically from a financial standpoint? Or, are we hypothesizing their NIL efforts are sub par based on certain players failing to meet fan expectations?

To this point, I haven't yet seen anything related to what I'm curious about, but that doesn't mean it's non-existent. Nebraska's recruiting 100% needs to improve. It has for some time. But, is it more because Nebraska's being stingy with the checkbook, or more to do with the fact this place is a coaching carousel that hasn't done much of substance in 20+ years and has done a poor job of identifying/developing NFL talent of late?

Most people "in the know" about Nebraska's football program continually claim that Nebraska has no real financial limitations when it comes to competing nationally from an NIL standpoint, so obviously there is a disconnect somewhere.

I think it's a fair question and would say that my criticism, at this point, is result oriented. I wish there was some way to quantify. 

Nebraska may very well be doing all that they can to attract talent to Lincoln. If the current results are as good as it gets, then Nebraska may just continue to be a bad to middling B1G team. 

Hope this staff and program can figure out a way to take recruiting and NIL to a higher level. This team needs talent desperately. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, it took them a year with the same staff and using NIL to develop the team.

We are in year one of that.

Not exactly the same staff - they did bring in Bobby Petrino, but I get your point. The issues with Texas A&M hasn't stemmed from a lack of talent. 

Take a look at the 247's team rankings for the last few years (2020 class through current 2024 class): 

image.png.e3d617295d230ae9675d17b11451da7e.png

image.png.ab407e5c1f76ecce66833bc163cf6daf.png

image.png.2194f582538ab0a1ce40830be3cbdd6f.png

image.png.7fb5da496469ef9c2ee83e903fed9ff0.png

image.png.8b788693445d221c985f3e25713c9405.png

image.png.bca1d4bec3c9590c394d0a8f51c364db.png

Compare that to Nebraska's: 

image.png.c93a4697c36ec1378fcf167439d08844.png

image.png.6a1581c888eee02ec43a34e2c58930f6.png

image.png.53d3114edec1ae6d0c857aad2e595a7c.png

image.png.2c063533fff18b83502f599335e979b9.png

image.png.f0d885bae16aba9e89845ff58f3ebf7d.png

image.png.a768cd72dcf753b221f6f6788b559623.png

• TBH 4
1 minute ago, The Maudfather said:

Not exactly the same staff - they did bring in Bobby Petrino, but I get your point. The issues with Texas A&M hasn't stemmed from a lack of talent. 

I mean, if they're not lacking talent and have a coach that has won a national championship, what could they possibly be missing.

Other than it's just harder to get everything go the right direction - and complete against other teams that are all doing the same thing - than most people want to admit.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
23 minutes ago, The Maudfather said:

I think it's a fair question and would say that my criticism, at this point, is result oriented. I wish there was some way to quantify. 

Nebraska may very well be doing all that they can to attract talent to Lincoln. If the current results are as good as it gets, then Nebraska may just continue to be a bad to middling B1G team. 

Hope this staff and program can figure out a way to take recruiting and NIL to a higher level. This team needs talent desperately. 

I agree there probably isn't a good way to quantify it, unfortunately. I don't necessarily know if the current results are as good as they get (I hope they aren't) but I just don't know if the physical resources are the issue. I tend to believe they're not. Recruiting and getting a positive ROI on a player is still a multi-layered challenge, and everybody is trying to do what Nebraska is doing.

Naturally, money has become a big part of the recruiting process, but there are still a number of other things that could cause a recruit to look this way and think "naw, I'm good. Thanks though." And even if they get them here, there isn't exactly a lavish track record of cultivating high performance. So, that's why I've been asking the questions and pushing back a little bit on the mindset of "just open the checkbook" because I think that it unfairly boils the problem down to just one variable. An important variable, but still only one.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I mean, if they're not lacking talent and have a coach that has won a national championship, what could they possibly be missing.

Other than it's just harder to get everything go the right direction - and complete against other teams that are all doing the same thing - than most people want to admit.

This is true yes, but would you rather have 20~ 5 stars and 50~ 4 stars on the team to do it with, or the 0/25 number we have?  That is the point about hoping NIL can improve those numbers for us to make it easier to right the ship.  That is what we are saying.  If Rhule is the developer we are led to believe he is, he surely can reach higher with 4/5 star talent versus 2/3 and a few 4's. 

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is true yes, but would you rather have 20~ 5 stars and 50~ 4 stars on the team to do it with, or the 0/25 number we have?  That is the point about hoping NIL can improve those numbers for us to make it easier to right the ship.  That is what we are saying.  If Rhule is the developer we are led to believe he is, he surely can reach higher with 4/5 star talent versus 2/3 and a few 4's. 

My point is the answer isn't as easy as many like to make it out to be.

• Plus1 2
59 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Very well stated. 

• Plus1 2
On 10/2/2023 at 4:59 PM, Mavric said:

Everything anyone has reported (which is all just relatively speaking, no on has hard numbers to publish), indicates we are near the top in the NIL game.  Most of the big-money numbers that have been reported have turned out to be false.  

Are we #1?  Almost certainly not.  Are we in the top 10-12?  That seems extremely likely.  And possibly toward the middle of the top 10-12.

Bob Devaney didn't need any of that. And he came from Wyoming who also didn't have any of that. And Tom Osborne was a tall redheaded woodpecker assistant from Hastings who didn't have any of that.
Because they've changed to semi-pro ball it may be very important now, but we're now competing with about eight Texas's who can financially beat anything we do.

27 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I think the point being made is that the other team is mostly scoring off turnovers, just another direction to look at it from. That is a stat that is looked when deciding how good a defense is because its generally easier to score off a turnover. 

Ok…then why isn’t the stat just “points off turnovers”?  That’s simple to see. 

There are one hell of a lot of variables in this stat that make it odd. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok…then why isn’t the stat just “points off turnovers”?  That’s simple to see. 

There are one hell of a lot of variables in this stat that make it odd. 

Well yeah there are variables in every stat. No stat stands alone without context. I would guess it's presented in this way because that number of touchdowns would indicate that almost all points against us were after turnovers. This number seems more digestible to that point because points off turnovers may not mean anything to someone not knowing how a stat like that ranks nationally. Obviously they should have included more context to this, but I think as a general point seeing only 2 TDs not scored after turnovers seems pretty low. 

No coach is going to recruit 20+ 4 & 5 star recruits to a program that is losing this many for long.  It is a GRADUAL rebuild, not one class. 
CU did the unthinkable and chased away almost entire roster. So far, that’s not exactly working wonders.  Time will tell.  It is process as some like to point out.  

A lot has been done for future years.  A fee transfers have come for this season but highly rated #s are very few. Some have done ‘ok’ but we are not getting 5 star transfers. The few we have landed are not becoming all conference.  

Hopefully, dome will.  Simms was a big disappointment but it is still just game 5.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

I look at it this way. We are not seeing "smoke screens" of "implied improvement" by this staff...we are seeing the real deal in where we are at. Iam far more confident in this build then I have been from Riley to Frost. Bo, had the ability to coach, but his ridiculous persona was his downfall...like it or not, you need an adult to coach your team, or it gets toxic (Pelini).  I hate where we are at, but optimistic in where we are going to be.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1