What did we learn Michigan Game

22 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

How does one run a 3 safety Tampa ??  I played in a tampa 2 in college and every time I looked over I only saw one other safety.  

My guess is the middle safety has the normal responsibility of the MLB in a Tampa-2 - would carry anything up the seam deep but initial responsibility is the middle underneath the 2 true deep safeties. But I agree that is weird and probably not accurate terminology.

IF THE UNIVERSE IS FAIR - NEBRASKA WINS THE 2024 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. :bigredn:

HERE IS THE FORUMLA 

1993 FSU beats Nebraska for NC

1994  Nebraska wins NC

1995   Nebraska wins the NC over Florida

1996  Florida wins the NC

1997  Nebraska wins the NC over Tenn

1998   Tenn wins the NC

1997 Mich and Nebraska tie for NC

2023  Michigan wins NC

2024  Nebraska will win the NC  -   Easy Peezy  - it is in the bag.  :koolaid2::restore2

Ok Rhule and company - Get'r done.   No pressure to fulfill the destiny of the universe.  :D

(Oh, forgot the mention - The Universe doesn't care about what is fair.  )

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

There were also some misses that were not as straightforward as people claim. This guy is a Michigan guy, but he breaks down some other Big Ten stuff and I really like his insights.

The wide open TD Penix and the WR are reading different DBs. Because of the bust that allows the WR to be so open, they (QB and WR) come to different conclusions on the coverage and how the route should go. Penix sees Cover 2 and throws the corner route, Odunze sees Cover 3 and runs it up the seam. He didn't just "miss the throw."

And for the one Herbstreit was up in arms about, Odunze just isn't part of the play as designed other than to make Michigan commit numbers over there. It would have taken entirely abandoning the play call and/or somehow recognizing that despite the numbers advantage Michigan wasn't effectively covering Odunze while reading the opposite side of the field.

Still not sure I buy him as an NFL QB anyway - but it seems like the narrative is he was flat out missing guys all game and that's just not true. Michigan disguised well (which NFL teams will do even better), and then also got lucky on some key plays - the above, a couple screens that fell apart, etc. 

I'll admit Penix rarely had much time, but he seemed locked into his primary receiver and was making that throw regardless, even when other receivers had gained far more separation. And he sailed a few of those open throws in a way great QBs rarely do. Even before the injury he just looked spooked, and as leadership goes he wasn't able to spark much of anything among his teammates. By then the OC went to the super short passing game, which played into the Michigan defense. Husky offense looked uncertain and off-rhythm, and that wasn't entirely on the Michigan D. It was a Big Game mojo problem for the whole team and coaching staff.

I think his draft status takes a minor hit, but Penix still goes in the first round. It's always hard to tell who translates into the NFL. I wouldn't have guessed C J Stroud myself.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

IF THE UNIVERSE IS FAIR - NEBRASKA WINS THE 2024 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. :bigredn:

HERE IS THE FORUMLA 

1993 FSU beats Nebraska for NC

1994  Nebraska wins NC

1995   Nebraska wins the NC over Florida

1996  Florida wins the NC

1997  Nebraska wins the NC over Tenn

1998   Tenn wins the NC

1997 Mich and Nebraska tie for NC

2023  Michigan wins NC

2024  Nebraska will win the NC  -   Easy Peezy  - it is in the bag.  :koolaid2::restore2

Ok Rhule and company - Get'r done.   No pressure to fulfill the destiny of the universe.  :D

(Oh, forgot the mention - The Universe doesn't care about what is fair.  )

Bout time I read a post with a little optimism.  Next year might be too big of a jump, but there's a god damn power vacuum occurring in the Big Ten... Ryan Day is slowly running tOSU into the ground, Harbaughs inevitable departure back to the NFL will bring Michigan back down to earth.  There's a sleeping giant lurking in the BigTen heartlands that is about to ascend to the top...... Perhaps a new Rhuler on the horizon

• Oh Yeah! 2

Last night was the first Washington game I had watched all season and didn't know what to expect out of Penix. I only watched the Huskers this year and very few other games. But what I saw was awfully familiar: little time to work in a collapsing pocket, missing wide open receivers, lack of touch on passes, and an ugly sidearm motion. Not impressive at all. 

4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Last night was the first Washington game I had watched all season and didn't know what to expect out of Penix. I only watched the Huskers this year and very few other games. But what I saw was awfully familiar: little time to work in a collapsing pocket, missing wide open receivers, lack of touch on passes, and an ugly sidearm motion. Not impressive at all. 

You should watch the Washington/Texas game - dude was unreal in that one, and human against Michigan. Plus you get to see Texas lose.

• TBH 3
4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

And so if Husker fans have the same complaints about their QB as they do about the Heisman runner-up.....

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1
  • Worth a Look 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You should watch the Washington/Texas game - dude was unreal in that one, and human against Michigan.

Well, what I'm not gonna do is go back and watch a f#%king Texas game for no reason.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

And so if Husker fans have the same complaints about their QB as they do about the Heisman runner-up.....

That's a good way of looking at it. We can call Haarberg our own little Penix. 

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Bout time I read a post with a little optimism.  Next year might be too big of a jump, but there's a god damn power vacuum occurring in the Big Ten... Ryan Day is slowly running tOSU into the ground, Harbaughs inevitable departure back to the NFL will bring Michigan back down to earth.  There's a sleeping giant lurking in the BigTen heartlands that is about to ascend to the top...... Perhaps a new Rhuler on the horizon

We can only hope and pray. 

1 hour ago, Ulty said:

I watched a lot of Washington, and last night was the antithesis of the rest of the season.  Michigan did a great job of making him uncomfortable, but that kid can make every throw imaginable if he get his feet set.  He was pressing last night also once the D was giving up 20 YPC in the first quarter!  :lol:

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll admit Penix rarely had much time, but he seemed locked into his primary receiver and was making that throw regardless, even when other receivers had gained far more separation. And he sailed a few of those open throws in a way great QBs rarely do. Even before the injury he just looked spooked, and as leadership goes he wasn't able to spark much of anything among his teammates. By then the OC went to the super short passing game, which played into the Michigan defense. Husky offense looked uncertain and off-rhythm, and that wasn't entirely on the Michigan D. It was a Big Game mojo problem for the whole team and coaching staff.

I think his draft status takes a minor hit, but Penix still goes in the first round. It's always hard to tell who translates into the NFL. I wouldn't have guessed C J Stroud myself.  

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Looks like it came down to Mich rushing only 4 and getting right through to Penix.  Another second and he sees a 30 yard gain on the left. 

17 hours ago, Big Red Viking said:

Ernie Hausman made the right decision.

We'll see. Sure he gets to claim a natty, but has his own profile improved?

If Harbaugh leaves along with many of this season's 2-deep, they might not seem so awesome next season.