2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

I thought the below was an interesting article on potential portal QBs who may be available.  They do talk about Nebraska and our 3 QBs with the expectation that there probably will be a change.

Personally, I think we will need to get a new QB as Sims seems to have been a bust.   I like Haarberg's running game but his passing has a lot to be desired.   I think we need a higher performer for the new Big 10 who can manage the game and distribute the ball to the skilled players effectively (of course that Begs the Question: Will we have the skilled players next year?- so many injuries this year.)  

If they meet our offensive identity, I hope we can target the Georgia, OSU, Texas, Bama, Clemson players listed in the article as they all would have been high profile 4 or 5 star recruits.  

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/longformarticle/2024-transfer-portal-cycle-football-quarterbacks-to-watch-georgia-texas-clemson-alabama-ohio-state-ucla-bruins-218830077/#2281061

Jeff Sims was a huge offseason acquisition for Nebraska and new head coach Matt Rhule. Sims began the season as the starter for the Huskers but struggled mightily in his first two outings, tossing four interceptions, one touchdown. He also had several fumbles.

On the verge of being benched, Sims was injured in Week 3 and relieved by sophomore Heinrich Haarberg, who has won four out of the last five games for Nebraska but has only completed 51% of his throws for five touchdowns and four interceptions. That said, he leads the team in rushing and has done some great things with his legs. Is Haarberg the quarterback of the future for Nebraska? Taylor Martinez comparisons aside, it's tough to say, but there will surely be some change in the quarterback room at Nebraska, and for that reason this situation feels an awful lot like Illinois', where it doesn't really matter who leaves but more so matters if anybody of higher quality can come in. 

Florida State transfer Chubba Purdy — yes, the younger brother of Brock — is also on the roster and has thrown two passes this season.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, it would be interesting to know what the thinking is.

Apparently we told Pyfrom we didn't have a spot for him anymore.  But we're obviously still after Brix.  So it would seem to me that we only have a spot for a top-shelf guy.  Unless we really like Ruggeroli....

Gonna have over 30 commits by the time this thing is settled. Makes me think they are pretty much set on not taking many at all in the portal.

• Plus1 1

Any of these guys would be a great get:    All highly rated coming out of HS and learning the trade in top notch programs.   We need an upgrade in a quick way.  We cannot afford to have an underproducing offense while our D is playing lights out next year - when the Big 10 gets even tougher.  Say goodby to Sims and Purdy, thank HH for his services this year and try to retain him as backup again.  

Georgia: 

Third-year quarterback Brock Vandagriff and second-year quarterback Gunner Stockton are behind Beck. They were each highly-ranked and highly-recruited. Vandagriff looks like the second option this season on the depth chart and has played a little. It seems likely that one of them takes off for a chance to start next year, regardless of what Beck does. Vandagriff was honest during fall camp that he had thought about entering the transfer portal before electing to return in 2023. 

Texas

Behind Ewers is where it gets interesting. Murphy is a talented thrower and showed he could start at number of schools with the passing display he put on in the spring game. In fact, several SEC and Big Ten programs were interested in his services. The Longhorns were able to keep him. Now Murphy gets a few weeks to showcase what he can do — whether that's for Texas, or for another program. 

There’s also Arch Manning, the No. 1 recruit in 2023. His future is bright. 

If Ewers returns, we believe that sends Murphy hits the portal (Manning stays in almost every conceivable scenario, I think). If Ewers leaves, Sarkisian is likely to drag out a Murphy vs. Manning quarterback battle through fall camp, regardless of how Murphy fares this fall. 

Alabama

Second-year freshman Ty Simpson came in 2022 as a highly touted prospect from Tennessee and could look elsewhere for greener pastures. Class of 2023 four-star Dylan Lonergan got rave reviews in fall camp (his classmate Eli Holstein is also in the room) and five-star Julian Sayin is on the way in 2024.

46 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

It won’t  matter if Tom Brady was behind center. If the line can’t block nothing matters. This team needs to build from the inside out. Start with the offensive lineman and get them buttoned up. 

The right QB will attract better linemen and vice versa.  Our O-Line has improved as well.  Hard to see the improvements through the injuries' but the stats are there. 

We will absolutely be bringing in a transfer QB but I'm guessing we see an improved HH competing with him next spring.  Biggest jump is from year one to year two on the field so I'm guessing HH would be a pretty serviceable QB next year. 

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Hilltop said:

The right QB will attract better linemen and vice versa.  Our O-Line has improved as well.  Hard to see the improvements through the injuries' but the stats are there. 

We will absolutely be bringing in a transfer QB but I'm guessing we see an improved HH competing with him next spring.  Biggest jump is from year one to year two on the field so I'm guessing HH would be a pretty serviceable QB next year. 

I really hope he is back to playing TE like they were leaning towards early in the year. Bring in 1-2 QBs and have Kaelin as backup.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, runningblind said:

I really hope he is back to playing TE like they were leaning towards early in the year. Bring in 1-2 QBs and have Kaelin as backup.

I think I am more curious to see what the kid can do with a full offseason to improve on what he did this year.  He is a winner and a smart kid with the right motivation.  He just might end up being a good QB.  Who is the last QB to win 5 of 6 games for us?  Armstrong in 2016...  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/31/2023 at 10:41 AM, mwj98 said:

It won’t  matter if Tom Brady was behind center. If the line can’t block nothing matters. This team needs to build from the inside out. Start with the offensive lineman and get them buttoned up. 

With three of five starters out for extended weeks, if not the season, guys moving around along the line and underclassmen playing, we still lead the Big Ten in rushing.

I think this O Line is sneaky better than people are giving them credit for. Not good, but better than bad. 

That said, building from the O Line up is, obviously, the best way to build a team.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 6
On 10/30/2023 at 9:43 PM, Decked said:

Gonna have over 30 commits by the time this thing is settled. Makes me think they are pretty much set on not taking many at all in the portal.

They certainly might. 

What's interesting is that they will have to get rid of 20+ players on the roster. Although with NIL, it can be hard to tell who is going to be cut vs made whole without an official scholarship. 

47 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

They certainly might. 

What's interesting is that they will have to get rid of 20+ players on the roster. Although with NIL, it can be hard to tell who is going to be cut vs made whole without an official scholarship. 

I heard mention that coaches can still offer guys to stay in school on scholarship but not play or transfer.  The end of this year is the end of that time frame for this staff.  Still a lot of guys to offer that to.  

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

With three of five starters out for extended weeks, if not the season, guys moving around along the line and underclassmen playing, we still lead the Big Ten in rushing.

I think this O Line is sneaky better than people are giving them credit for. Not good, but better than bad. 

That said, building from the O Line up is, obviously, the best way to build a team.

Think peoples annoyances with Raiola not helping to land his Nephew is helping with peoples annoyances at the fact that our OLine isn’t a final product this instant. They’re ok, and with how poor they were the last few years it’s been an improvement. I also think the offense is running plays to protect the tackles better than the last few years (more chipping on pass plays). 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I heard mention that coaches can still offer guys to stay in school on scholarship but not play or transfer.  The end of this year is the end of that time frame for this staff.  Still a lot of guys to offer that to.  

I came here to post something similar.  I believe rhule has through the end of this academic year to still leverage the "new coach" provision in moving a scholly guy to non playing but still honor their scholarship to the university.

Rhule seems incredibly on top of leveraging any and all roster management strategies.  If he isnt worried about another large class, i sure as hell am not either.

• Plus1 1