2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

On 11/1/2023 at 1:50 PM, knapplc said:

With three of five starters out for extended weeks, if not the season, guys moving around along the line and underclassmen playing, we still lead the Big Ten in rushing.

I think this O Line is sneaky better than people are giving them credit for. Not good, but better than bad. 

That said, building from the O Line up is, obviously, the best way to build a team.

Thanks for the perspective.  It awakens my eyes that we aren't as bad as I thought we were in that area.  Replacing the 3 linemen and still having a serviceable running game last week was an accomplishment.  Sometimes it is easy to paint wt a broad brush.  I think most of our frustrations this year for the lack of production can be pinned on turnovers - primarily by the QBs and injuries to WR and RBs.  We can't pin any of that on the OL.  

• Plus1 1

13 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Can't wait to get the offseason juice flowing with the next Lamar Jackson again...btw I'm not against a portal QB but everyone acts like we will land some big shark. 

I guess i don't see that.  I see people who know that there have been quite a few programs that have upgraded the position in the portal.  That doesn't mean we will.  Heck, our starter at the beginning of the season came from the portal.  There are good QBs out there.  You just have to get the right one.

• Plus1 5
26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Thanks for the perspective.  It awakens my eyes that we aren't as bad as I thought we were in that area.  Replacing the 3 linemen and still having a serviceable running game last week was an accomplishment.  Sometimes it is easy to paint wt a broad brush.  I think most of our frustrations this year for the lack of production can be pinned on turnovers - primarily by the QBs and injuries to WR and RBs.  We can't pin any of that on the OL.  

I think the OL was struggling badly early in the season but slowly was getting better each week before he injuries. Going from abysmal to bad to below average isn't what we all wanted, but it's progress from where we've been.

35 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I guess i don't see that.  I see people who know that there have been quite a few programs that have upgraded the position in the portal.  That doesn't mean we will.  Heck, our starter at the beginning of the season came from the portal.  There are good QBs out there.  You just have to get the right one.

Adding to this, I think getting the good portal QBs in a lot cases is from years of contact before they are in the portal. I am willing to bet they are already contacting QBs this year whereas last year they had very limited time combined with Rhule being in the NFL for a few years. 

9 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Adding to this, I think getting the good portal QBs in a lot cases is from years of contact before they are in the portal. I am willing to bet they are already contacting QBs this year whereas last year they had very limited time combined with Rhule being in the NFL for a few years. 

I'm for the portal but to land an elite QB would take a lot imo. We have to take a look at a QB for sure but I won't hold my breath. 

2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

If you don't count Sanders there are 2 transfer QBs who are playing well this year...I'm for the portal but to land an elite QB would take a lot imo. 

I guess it depends what level you think we need. Obviously someone like Nix, Penix, Williams, Gabriel  would be something special but we could get someone playing as well as Dart, Rattler, Daniels, Ward, Hartman, de Laura and be a really good football team. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
18 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I guess it depends what level you think we need. Obviously someone like Nix, Penix, Williams, Gabriel  would be something special but we could get someone playing as well as Dart, Rattler, Daniels, Ward, Hartman, de Laura and be a really good football team. 

Fair enough but we thought that with Sims and Thompson. I was hoping for someone better than Kaelin, especially if we want a running QB going forward. 

3 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Fair enough but we thought that with Sims and Thompson. I was hoping for someone better than Kaelin, especially if we want a running QB going forward. 

Only speaking for myself, I personally definitively did not think we had that with Sims or Thompson. I thought Casey was probably slightly worse than Adrian and maybe about the same, and then I thought the same about Sims in relation to Casey.

People let the offseason hype inch its way into their brains so easily. When you're looking at a transfer portal QB with years of data, the data is telling the truth and it's best to trust it as is and not go to great efforts to explain why it's actually not representative.

• TBH 1