What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

Satterfield might be the worst situational play caller I've ever seen. 

It's almost like he refuses to accept that a defense knows what's coming. He has to always sprinkle in a surprise to catch them off guard, while forgetting about the time, place, and what it takes to win games. He simply refuses to win games like Iowa does and seemingly feels like the correct play call is exactly what the defense expects. Rhule cannot be successful here with Satterfield's level of ineptitude. 

Also, I was previously on the RPO train with this team because I hoped it would simplify the game for the QBs. I was wrong, it just doubles the chances for Quarterbacks to turn the ball over. They simply can't execute anything - run or pass - without a looming sense of disaster. 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, admo said:

You are in FG range, points are hard to come by, and the OC calls a few pass plays with your 3rrd string QB.

What could possibly happen.....

A near sack that fortunately didn't turn into intentional grounding....... And the other was an interception in the endzone.  

Could have taken the 3 points by playing smart as an OC, giving your team the lead, and placing the pressure on Maryland to try to tie the game.

Going for 7 on 3rd and goal when you can take 3 without screwing up is what lost the game at that point.  OC should have been much more aware of the bigger picture 

Satterfield didn't call two pass plays. The first "pass" was all on Chubba. It was a designed handoff all the way, per Rhule. The discombobulation set the offense up in a long 3rd and goal, so passing was not that big of a leap, but QBs have to know to just launch it into the seats. I am ok with blaming Satterfield as a QB coach there, slightly less as OC. If he's still around, he should be TE coach, not QB. Move Martin back to analyst and hire a QB coach.

• Fire 1

Big props to Coach White and the defense. They performed over my expectations this season and had us in most every game. A key piece to the rebuild was bringing back the Blackshirts. We must have an identity on defense and they have performed exceptionally.

The rest of the season has been a let down. The offense has cost us wins the defense secured multiple times including today.

This offseason will be Rhule’s big test. Make bold aggressive changes or he’ll be on hot seat in a couple more years. Do you see who is coming to the BIG? Those teams all kill us by 20+ if we play them today.

The offense needs a complete overhaul. Coaches, players it’s all bad.  We need an identity.  It has to be rebuilt from the inside out with new QBs and OL. The skill players like Coleman are getting manhandled out there. There’s no poise, rhythm, every throw is a circus because every play starts with QB and OL. Every run fighting for yards and fumbles. There are no explosive big plays.  Offense is like watching a bad car trying to get going, it sputters but it is always on the verge of a complete breakdown.

Use our vaunted NIL, which I suspect is overhyped. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong but I don’t see it.  Tired of pulling 3 stars out of local schools. This is not working nor will it work in future. When are we pulling 4 or 5 stars from other states? 

I didn’t have us winning today and think next week will be ugly.  It comes down to a close game vs Iowa. It has to be this way for us.  But I’m largely moving on from this season. We’ve seen a lot of all the QBs this year and we are going nowhere with any of them. Sure I’d take a bowl game but we know what we have. Securing key players and coaches for the future is more important after the meltdowns we have experienced last 2 weeks. We played the games and just are not at the level of of our opponents right now, which is scary because it is only going to get tougher. Rhule is in charge of fixing that going forward.

Just now, BlackHillsHusker said:

Had to run errands and didn't feel the need to buy peacock to watch a team that self destructs like a bull seeing red.

Satt needs to answer for the passes. All the QB's need to be off the depth chart by spring. 

Rhule needs some soul searching 

He needs to get better coaching and recruiting skills, beginning right after this season. Absent that, this is going to be a long 4-6 years.

Just now, chamrocck said:

Big props to Coach White and the defense. They performed over my expectations this season and had us in most every game. A key piece to the rebuild was bringing back the Blackshirts. We must have an identity on defense and they have performed exceptionally.

The rest of the season has been a let down. The offense has cost us wins the defense secured multiple times including today.

This offseason will be Rhule’s big test. Make bold aggressive changes or he’ll be on hot seat in a couple more years. Do you see who is coming to the BIG? Those teams all kill us by 20+ if we play them today.

The offense needs a complete overhaul. Coaches, players it’s all bad.  We need an identity.  It has to be rebuilt from the inside out with new QBs and OL. The skill players like Coleman are getting manhandled out there. There’s no poise, rhythm, every throw is a circus because every play starts with QB and OL. Every run fighting for yards and fumbles. There are no explosive big plays.  Offense is like watching a bad car trying to get going, it sputters but it is always on the verge of a complete breakdown.

Use our vaunted NIL, which I suspect is overhyped. I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong but I don’t see it.  Tired of pulling 3 stars out of local schools. This is not working nor will it work in future. When are we pulling 4 or 5 stars from other states? 

I didn’t have us winning today and think next week will be ugly.  It comes down to a close game vs Iowa. It has to be this way for us.  But I’m largely moving on from this season. We’ve seen a lot of all the QBs this year and we are going nowhere with any of them. Sure I’d take a bowl game but we know what we have. Securing key players and coaches for the future is more important after the meltdowns we have experienced last 2 weeks. We played the games and just are not at the level of of our opponents right now, which is scary because it is only going to get tougher. Rhule is in charge of fixing that going forward.

We won't score on Iowa. Not one point.

• TBH 1
10 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Two different QBs with different levels of experience, and different talents fail to recognize coverage and throw straight to the defender under the same QB coach seemingly every deep pass. That tells me it is a coaching issue. They are being coached the same way, so they make the same mistakes.

Yet he was also the coach of a QB last year that threw for 3000 yds had a 67% comp % and upset Tennessee and Clemson. So he forgot everything in the last year? Or maybe he’s been tasked with two completely talentless QBs who couldn’t be coached to competence by Sean Mcvay or anyone else for that matter

Maybe he’s not the right guy. I just want to see a QB that is close to average and what they look like in the offense

Just now, chamrocck said:

I'm sure USC will go hard for White or Leonard.  Have to imagine White sees what USC can do on offense and not having to be perfect to stay in games.

Nebraska will be at a crossroads again this offseason 

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Wisconsin is down 14-3 to Northwestern right now. Their offense isn't great either. Defense will have to make plays and hope the offense doesn't turn the ball over too much, but they got a chance next week

6 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

Yet he was also the coach of a QB last year that threw for 3000 yds had a 67% comp % and upset Tennessee and Clemson. So he forgot everything in the last year? Or maybe he’s been tasked with two completely talentless QBs who couldn’t be coached to competence by Sean Mcvay or anyone else for that matter

And I'd you listen to anyone from South Carolina they say those stats were compiled in spite of Satterfield, not because of it. And those stats came largely in a couple games that were outliers and most of the games looked like the crapshow offense we have been watching this season.

Screenshot_20231111_152349_Chrome.jpg

24 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

The issue is, a FG at best would have took this game to OT. Do you like our chances in OT vs Maryland?

If we think about this logically, a FG at best actually gives them the win. At worst, a FG forces the other team to have to score. That's a completely different dynamic in a game atmosphere because it puts most of the pressure on the opposing offense.

Are you suggesting it's better they turned the ball over and let Maryland win in regulation? I don't really get it. A Nebraska FG in that situation would've objectively been a good thing.

Their offense had very little problem moving the ball up to about the 30 yard line all game and they had the wind. The likelihood of a FG outright winning that game to me is almost nil.

Maryland had scored 10 points the whole game up to that point. I don't personally care that much about how well a team moves the ball between the 25's. I care about the points and having more than the other team at the end.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And I'd you listen to anyone from South Carolina they say those stats were compiled in spite of Satterfield, not because of it. And those stats came largely in a couple games that were outliers and most of the games looked like the crapshow offense we have been watching this season.

Rattler was better at the end of the year. He had his two best games ever against two legit programs. Sounds like he improved. Stats say he improved at the end of the year. SC fans can say whatever they want. He got better. He developed. Doesn’t happen overnight