What did we learn? Maryland edition

Enhance

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Sure you can argue the pressure it puts to be up and that could have helped, but getting into FG range was not an issue for them. The point about them moving the ball up to the 30 is that's all they needed for a FG. They could have kicked probably 3 more FGs in that game.

I'm not saying a FG is bad but I don't think it is a win like everyone is acting like it is. A TD in that scenario puts way more pressure on them and our defense kept them out of the end zone well all game. It's the risk vs the outcome. A TD there I think gives us our best shot out of any scenario at a win. You play for the win. 

With a third string QB with little snaps during the week and turnovers all game, running the ball would have been the smart play.  Who knows, they may have even gotten a TD with how they were running on that drive.  Even with just the FG, I think at most Maryland just sends it into overtime.

Watching Wisconsin and Iowa today gives me hope.  This division is a mess.  A couple of players here and there on offense (or only 2-3 turnovers a game) with this Defense and the team loses to Michigan so far.  Maybe Colorado.

I'll take the better defense and hope to get to 6 wins.

Wiscy is down 24-3 to Northwestern at half, Iowa got a FG so they are close to their average ppg.

Every just hired coach coming into a losing program is tossing a team together in a rush and patching gaps.  If this Defense gets better next year and the offense can gain recruits, we'll jump off the bottom of the conference quickly.

2 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

With a third string QB with little snaps during the week and turnovers all game, running the ball would have been the smart play.  Who knows, they may have even gotten a TD with how they were running on that drive.  Even with just the FG, I think at most Maryland just sends it into overtime.

Do you disagree with the pass plays that got us into that position? If we got picked on those it would have pretty much been an automatic loss. 

I’d like to understand what is going on with our WRs downfield as well. With young guys who aren’t getting open this creates another layer to our problems. We all wanted to see Coleman on the field but I don’t see him creating separation and he is dropping balls. No Trey Palmer this year to have some highlights.  Our whole offense is a work in progress and needs a major upgrade. I like EJ and Fidone and that’s about it.

2 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Satterfield didn't call two pass plays. The first "pass" was all on Chubba. It was a designed handoff all the way, per Rhule. The discombobulation set the offense up in a long 3rd and goal, so passing was not that big of a leap, but QBs have to know to just launch it into the seats. I am ok with blaming Satterfield as a QB coach there, slightly less as OC. If he's still around, he should be TE coach, not QB. Move Martin back to analyst and hire a QB coach.

Thanks.  I think Satt has done a decent job throughout the year.  My point is that he should have known better than anyone else at that moment.  Purdy might have thrown a beautiful TD pass, and we celebrate, but why risk it? Why get greedy for 4 extra points?  A lead in this type of game after 56 minutes is huge.  

Like I said, Satt isn't bad playcaller but in this case he should have been the smartest guy in the room at that time, understanding the situation. Run the ball on third down, play it safe, kick it and take the 3 points at home.  The result gives the team the lead, and gets the defense fired up and home crowd fired up as well.  Maryland would have felt more pressure playing down by 3.  So yeah, it was a high-risk call and poor decision to put it on the 3rd string QB by throwing on 3rd and goal.  

2 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

I’d like to understand what is going on with our WRs downfield as well. With young guys who aren’t getting open this creates another layer to our problems. We all wanted to sed Coleman on the field but I don’t see him creating separation and he is dropping balls. No Trey Palmer this year to have some highlights.  Our whole offense is a work in progress and needs a major upgrade. I like EJ and Fidone and that’s about it,

I'd like to understand how this football team sucks.  I'd like to understand why in crucial parts in the game we screw ourselves. We pay a coach to improve the team yet we aren't improved just squeezing bye.  I don't think that HC Matt Rhule will get rid of the OC MS at the end of the year which in return will bring more disappointment.  That was one of SF biggest flaws is that he didn't get rid of EC and look how that turned out.  I get that you try to keep the same coaches on the team to bring cohesiveness to the team but I believe that will be one of HC MR biggest downfall being a coach year.

Matt Rhule, in his post game presser a bit ago said:

"You think a corner route is going to either be an incomplete pass or a touchdown."

We've identified the problem.

Yeah, with a good QB and a receiver at least on par with someone like Marcus Washington, you would think that. But those aren't the players out there on the field. So you have to grade the situation on that curve in-game.

F***, man. Unreal.

• Fire 2
2 minutes ago, admo said:

Thanks.  I think Satt has done a decent job throughout the year.  My point is that he should have known better than anyone else at that moment.  Purdy might have thrown a beautiful TD pass, and we celebrate, but why risk it? Why get greedy for 4 extra points?  A lead in this type of game after 56 minutes is huge.  

Like I said, Satt isn't bad playcaller but in this case he should have been the smartest guy in the room at that time, understanding the situation. Run the ball on third down, play it safe, kick it and take the 3 points at home.  That result gives the team the lead, and gets the defense and home crowd all fired up.  Maryland would have felt more pressure playing behind from it.  So yeah, it was a high risk play call and bad idea to put it on the 3rd string QB throwing on 3rd and goal.  

I am genuinely curious, what has this offense shown or satt displayed that leaves you content with him So far? He owns the qb room and offense- every qb has the yips, he is putting them in a position to fail with so many of these calls. He calls NfL style passing designs within the redzone with no scholarship receivers and a qb who isn’t fit to be a p5 player. 

The chubba int today looked eerily similar to the Minnesota one. He’s calling qb option reads when said qbs lack Iq and ball security .

1 hour ago, Undone said:

"You think a corner route is going to either be an incomplete pass or a touchdown."

Well coach, stop thinking because you are thinking wrong.  And risking too much.  And not learning from earlier mistakes.  

You tried that idea with Sims at Minnesota.  It went badly (interception when 3 points were available).  You now tried it again with Purdy who hasn't played competitively in a game all year.  With the 4 minutes left in the game.  I mean, 3 points can make things different in Big Ten games.  The same could've happened at Minnesota.  We lost each game by 3 points doing the exact same thing.  Be smarter.  

28 minutes ago, InOmaha said:

Watching Wisconsin and Iowa today gives me hope.  This division is a mess.  A couple of players here and there on offense (or only 2-3 turnovers a game) with this Defense and the team loses to Michigan so far.  Maybe Colorado.

I'll take the better defense and hope to get to 6 wins.

Wiscy is down 24-3 to Northwestern at half, Iowa got a FG so they are close to their average ppg.

Every just hired coach coming into a losing program is tossing a team together in a rush and patching gaps.  If this Defense gets better next year and the offense can gain recruits, we'll jump off the bottom of the conference quickly.

Damn just saw that Wisc is down to NW 24 to 3. There’s def hope for that 6th win…and if we get that…that’s a successful first season for Rhule IMO and a gives him a clear vision of what he needs to focus on in the offseason. 

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yeah, with a good QB and a receiver at least on par with someone like Marcus Washington, you would think that. But those aren't the players out there on the field. So you have to grade the situation on that curve in-game.

F***, man. Unreal.

And how many corner routes has any of our QB's made in practice?  How many reps has Chubba had this year period?  So he makes throws against 3rd string D?  And you think that having him throw with the game on the line when the RB's have been doing well was a smart call, because "You think a corner route will be either an incomplete pass or a TD".......We lead the nation in TO's.....Our QB's have more INT's than TD's.....but that is what you thought....Covering for Satt or an idiot as well.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

I am genuinely curious, what has this offense shown or satt displayed that leaves you content with him So far? He owns the qb room and offense- every qb has the yips, he is putting them in a position to fail with so many of these calls. He calls NfL style passing designs within the redzone with no scholarship receivers and a qb who isn’t fit to be a p5 player. 

The chubba int today looked eerily similar to the Minnesota one. He’s calling qb option reads when said qbs lack Iq and ball security .

For this season he has called plays accordingly for all the injuries and all the backups playing with limited experience.  He has been running a fairly vanilla offense.  Look how many different guys this offense has used at QB, RB, WR, OL. And it's the players that run wrong routes or throw interceptions and fumble and give up sacks.  And even the HC said Satt would love to open up the offense if we were in a better position to do so (not word for word).  I think the last INT was on Satt. I think there are times he has called some stinky plays at certain times.  But overall and over the course of the year with all the newbies and injuries, he's played it safe and ran the ball a lot.  I hope I answered your question.