Time to get to real

chamrocck

On 11/12/2023 at 11:25 PM, Undone said:

I don't want Willy Korn at Nebraska. I don't want to prioritize the speed option & option variants. I want to bring in an actual QB who is good at actual QB things. You know, like reading a defense and throwing the ball? And honestly that player is probably Kaelin.

Let's start there. Willy Korn just gets you another Jeff Sims in here because you're prioritizing a track star QB who likely can't hit the broadside of Lancaster county in the passing game. Definitely tired of that stuff.

Husker football needs to let go of the option, IMO.

Agreed in full, minus the Kaelin part. I've been very unimpressed by his play and he had several D1 athletes around him his whole high school career. I hope he develops in time, but I think he's another Haarberg with a better arm and worse mobility. Honestly, we'd be better off giving the scholarship to someone else in trying to get Flores out of Gretna to come back or giving an offer to the Westside QB... at least those two know how to win and lead. 

OP is obsessed with firing Raiola & now Satterfield. We lead the Big Ten in rushing while mainly using 3rd & 4th stringers at the skill positions and QBs who treat the football like a hot potato too often. Thankfully Rhule came out today and shut down that sort of talk. I loved the rhetorical, "has that worked out here?". I'd be surprised if there were any firings this offseason, though I could see a few taking jobs elsewhere if the right opportunity came along... specifically White, Martin, & McGuire. 

The premise that out OL is good because we lead the league in rushing is far fetched. We lead the league in rushing because we struggle mightily in the passing game and every forward pass could end up an INT. So

we run the QB because that is their skill set. 

Has our OL shown any consistency in protecting the pocket and giving our QB’s time to throw?  Part of the reason I think CT left was because he was a more pure passer but without an OL and his best WR graduated it was going to be difficult. I suspect Rhule and Satterfield both knew we had to run the QB this season with bringing in Sims and we should be at 6 or 7 wins already with this strategy but it hasn’t worked that way.  I don’t want to go into next season with this same mentality.  We need players and coaches both to improve upon what we have. 

Surprised no one is mentioning any other coaching candidates.  So some of you don’t like Korn, ok. I also mentioned Paul Chryst. We have to make some changes IMO.

QB throws an INT, blame the Oline.

QB fumbles the ball, blame the Oline. 

RB fumbles the ball, blame the Oline.

WR drops the ball, blame the Oline. 

Our Oline has actually done a pretty good job this year compared to years past and believe there are numbers to prove it.  Raiola is just finishing up his 2nd year and he didn't even get to coach how he wanted in his first.  I am willing to give him another year or 2 and see how the guys he recruited do before throwing him out.  Our best lineman this year has been Ben Scott and Raiola is responsible for him coming here.  

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 3

8 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed in full, minus the Kaelin part. I've been very unimpressed by his play and he had several D1 athletes around him his whole high school career. I hope he develops in time, but I think he's another Haarberg with a better arm and worse mobility. Honestly, we'd be better off giving the scholarship to someone else in trying to get Flores out of Gretna to come back or giving an offer to the Westside QB... at least those two know how to win and lead. 

Both Kaelin and Flores had very good HS careers winning tons of games.  Sure, one won the state championship and the other lost in the second round of the playoffs to a team with other D1 players.

Flores isn't even on the three deep depth chart for OSU.

On 11/13/2023 at 1:23 AM, The Murphinator said:

Does Satterfield make some bad play calls yes. It is also hard to judge what he can really do cause we have no QBs and they turn the ball over so much. Not saying he is good, but they have had some really bad luck with injuries on offense. 2 of our top 3 rbs got hurt. Washington out and Kemp has been out at times as well. Is the offensive line great? No. But they have shown signs of improvement especially in the run game. Still a lot of work to do but hopefully they can add a couple guys to get better on the line going forward. If we had an average QB they would be at least 7-3 right now. Just need a QB that can pass the ball to our guys and scramble to get yards when needed. 

S Carolina fans say otherwise too lol

12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Both Kaelin and Flores had very good HS careers winning tons of games.  Sure, one won the state championship and the other lost in the second round of the playoffs to a team with other D1 players.

Flores isn't even on the three deep depth chart for OSU.

Maybe my expectations for a D1, Power Five QB recruit are higher than they should be, but Kaelin is very unimpressive as the only QB recruit in the class. Flores & Rezac were clearly better high school QBs than him, hopefully the staff can help him develop.

8 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Agreed in full, minus the Kaelin part. I've been very unimpressed by his play and he had several D1 athletes around him his whole high school career. I hope he develops in time, but I think he's another Haarberg with a better arm and worse mobility. 

"Haarberg with a better arm and worse mobility" doesn't seem like that bad of a tradeoff, IMO. Admittedly I haven't been to any of his high school games, but unless he's some kind of complete headcase, that seems like a guy you could live with at QB.

• TBH 2
On 11/12/2023 at 4:06 PM, chamrocck said:

No doubt we left some W’s on the table this year. We aren’t the only fanbase complaining. So what do we do about it? What are the coaches and players we need?

I’m ready to grab Willy Korn (great name for NU) and his QB Salter from Liberty. I also add Paul Chryst.  Satterfield and Raiola are out. Transform this offense now.

And protect Coach White. If he gets poached then we may again have a defensive mess on our hands. Teams will be coming for him so be smart and let’s continue to rebuild the Blackshirts as that side of the ball has played well.

I want to comment on this because I see a lot of people at least allude to this sentiment. Rhule has set up a good defense everywhere he has been. Every single time he has had underrated players come in and contribute early. White is an amazing coach,  but there is a reason Rhule always had a good DC and why Tony White chose Nebraska.  

• TBH 1