Will Howard

21 minutes ago, Decked said:

That is absolutely not the case. There are 15 guys in the portal already better than what we have. Maybe more. 

Seeing how Sims ranks as possibly the worst throwing in CFB history (averaging an INT every 8 throws) and HH was towards the bottom of FBS in every category, i'd venture the whole transfer portal might be btter than what we have lol

• TBH 2
2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Well I think Nebraska has been in the negative for turnover margin for a couple of years now.  This year wasn't a fluke with turnovers.  Out of 130 teams Nebraska lead that category of most turnovers.  That blows my mind.

Honestly, it feels like we have been a turnover and penalty-plagued team throughout the last four coaching staffs, which is kinda mysterious although not unlike the past 30 years of the Oakland Raiders. 

Okay, I just went back and noticed Eric Crouch, Jammal Lord, Sam Keller, Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor all had unacceptably high interception rates (Ganz and Taylor each had one season that wasn't too bad) so dangerous quarterback play isn't a new thing. Harder to find team fumble stats. 

• TBH 1
2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

A good QB this year and we’d be going to the Cheez-it Bowl instead of Iowa

With all the transfer’s, bowl games are atrocious. It’s either competing for a spot in the 12-team playoff or bust at this point. Why would FSU want to play against Georgia or vice versa. 50% of QBs hit the portal.

2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Might as well stick with who we have then and hope we’re good enough to beat Minn and NW

If anybody is familiar with AAU baseball tournaments, a lot of teams try to hold their best pitcher until the championship game, while the teams that typically get there focus on winning the game they're in, and worry about what's next when they get there.  

Improving QB play next season is not just W's & L's in 2024 IMO, NU is stacking some reasonably impressive talent in the WR & TE rooms and how long will they be content splitting 11 catches & 135 yards per game or even modest improvement from that?

Establish proof of concept, set a standard as high as possible, and then attracting QB's who can play up to that standard is increasingly easier.  

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

46 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

Improving QB play next season is not just W's & L's in 2024 IMO, NU is stacking some reasonably impressive talent in the WR & TE rooms and how long will they be content splitting 11 catches & 135 yards per game or even modest improvement from that?

This is some really good analysis right here. And it isn't just accuracy or play calling in general that affects the bolded part. I think it's also:

1. Some kind of drive by our staff (past and present) to run the QB quite a bit.

2. This season we ran the play clock down on almost every single play, resulting in fewer offensive plays, period.

People will argue that item #1 starts to go away if the other elements are clicking. But this goes to the last thing you said about "establishing a proof of concept." This is kind of rhetorical here, but what is the proof of concept?

I think we're all really wondering that heading into year 2.

5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, it's Cam Ward or bust?   Ummm....no.

There are a number of other QBs in the portal that are better than what we had this year. And, Howard is one of them.

He doesn’t realize Will Howard had as good or better stats than Cam Ward if you normalize for pass attempts :dunno

• TBH 2

Furthermore, most of these guys are looking for a payday rather than playing for titles. Most are not going to be high level NFL QBs ( Brock Purdys) don’t come around often. These kids know that if they make a team, their contract isn’t going to be top notch, so wisely, if they can get 1.5 mil in college, let’s do it.

• Haha 1