Saban Retiring

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's bs.  Kalen DeBoer has no reason to be afraid of facing Matt Rhule.  Alabama got a great coach.  Proven winner.  I wonder if he brings his whole staff or he brings a few coaches.  He already has the players there so he should be able to win right away.

What are your thoughts on jokes?

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

I can't believe it is a debate for anyone anymore.  Nick Saban is the greatest coach in college football history.  It's incredibly difficult to win a national title and he has 7 of them.  How many consecutive classes at Alabama could say they won a national title in their 4 or 5 year stint at the school?  It's a ridiculous number.  Even the Bear Bryant diehards have said he's #2 behind Nick.  We won't know how many T.O. might have had if he coached to age 72 but consistent excellent for a lot of years is part of the evaluation.  Nick is #1

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That looks like the actor that plays the Flash on the CW show lol.  Yeah that sucks to be Washington.  They will probably promote within or find a developmental coach.  Don't see them finding a proven winner that is going to make a lateral move.

RIP in Peace is redundant, no?

3 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Sheesh, c’mon Reggie.  I started to like him on the Fox show and then he bailed. Issues at USC, issues in the NFL, where did he even land? Trying to become relevant again? Give it a rest dude.

Especially with the report stating his wife is ill. Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought an idiot, then to open it and remove all doubt.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Especially with the report stating his wife is ill.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2024/01/11/why-did-nick-saban-retire-explains-decision-leave-alabama/72190318007/

"There's no illness. Ms. Terry is fine, I'm fine. It was the can you sustain the season from a mental grind standpoint?

sounds like age just presents him from doing the job how he had previously done it.   

I wonder if he was honest about this decision with recruits.   There is no way he hadn’t thought about this the past few months.  Not saying he made an absolute decision, but he had to have beginning thoughts. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as Nebraska lost some of its built-in advantages in the late-90s, Alabama will have trouble maintaining the recruiting pipeline that maintained the dynasty. Replacing Saban will be a high-salary dead end for DeBoer as it would be for any other candidate. Alabama was scheduled to come down to earth and the SEC will get more competitive. Fans will not take all this into account and DeBoer will be roasted for his first 10-3 season. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
48 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Just as Nebraska lost some of its built-in advantages in the late-90s, Alabama will have trouble maintaining the recruiting pipeline that maintained the dynasty. Replacing Saban will be a high-salary dead end for DeBoer as it would be for any other candidate. Alabama was scheduled to come down to earth and the SEC will get more competitive. Fans will not take all this into account and DeBoer will be roasted for his first 10-3 season. 

100%. This!

It also doesn't help that he is an 'outsider" when it comes to boosters, he has no "good ole boy" stories to tell about Bama football, there is no good will that has been built up.

In 3 years he will either be fired or in the NFL

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, teachercd said:

100%. This!

It also doesn't help that he is an 'outsider" when it comes to boosters, he has no "good ole boy" stories to tell about Bama football, there is no good will that has been built up.

In 3 years he will either be fired or in the NFL

With the success they had the last decade and more, I don't think he even makes it 3 seasons.  He loses more than 2 next season he's on the hot seat, he does that 2 seasons in a row he gone.  Alabama fans have been spoiled under Saban, they aren't going to accept 2 losses in a season with the new guy.

16 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

With the success they had the last decade and more, I don't think he even makes it 3 seasons.  He loses more than 2 next season he's on the hot seat, he does that 2 seasons in a row he gone.  Alabama fans have been spoiled under Saban, they aren't going to accept 2 losses in a season with the new guy.

I can see that!