Trev to A&M

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

(Trying to not get political)

Abbott signed an anti-DEI bill for state universities (A&M is one) last June that just went into effect a Jan 1.

For public colleges and universities in Texas, Jan. 1 isn’t just the start of the new year. It’s also the day the state’s anti–diversity, equity and inclusion bill, SB 17, will go into effect—a development many institutions have spent months preparing for.

But that preparation has varied greatly depending on the institution. Some universities jumped into overdrive as soon as Governor Greg Abbott signed the bill in June, immediately cutting DEI and related offices, such as multicultural and LGBTQ+ resource centers. Other institutions remain in limbo, unsure what if any actions to take ahead of the Jan. 1 deadline.

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/students/diversity/2023/12/19/texas-institutions-prepare-anti-dei-law-go-effect

I get they do stuff like this, but I was more saying how much impacts the AD and the athletic department as a whole. This doesn't *help* get athletes to sign with the school, but more importantly won't hurt the Athletic side of the fence. That's where there is less direct interference. Some may argue what is happening with the President here isn't directly related to Athletics either. The issue is the AD had no upper leadership and he had inconsistent support (conflicting support from people between the BoR and interim President) from above, he brought up the issues and frustrations with this and it wasn't being resolved and was only getting worse. 

• Plus1 1

Welcome to Texas A&M Trev!  Your first duty as AD is dealing with a defensive analyst who killed his girlfriend and unborn child.

https://footballscoop.com/news/blaise-taylor-arrested-on-first-degree-murder-charge

Blaise Taylor, was arrested Thursday night in Utah on a grand jury indictment with two charges of first-degree murder.

Taylor, 27, was wanted for allegedly poisoning his girlfriend, Jade Benning, and her unborn child. Nashville Police state Benning and her unborn child died as a result of the poisoning. 

The son of longtime FBS running backs coach Trooper Taylor, Blaise Taylor had agreed to join Texas A&M staff earlier this month. 

• Worth a Look 4

1 hour ago, Hagg said:

Agree.  But also thinking about the possibility of a pattern as to Trev's job history;  perceived uncomfortable situations he's found himself in.  I'm asking/speculating, not stating. 

Mark May and Trev got into it more than once about various things (as they were probably supposed to for the broadcast), and things got hot more than once, most notably when Trev was doing a synopsis on a nice Husker win and he remarked at the end, "The Blackshirts are back."  Mark May disagreed very much, Blackshirts always over rated etc,  and laughed in a snickering manner and then turned to him and asked, "You were a Blackshirt, weren't you"  Trev responded, rather reverently as I recall, "Yes I was."  Mark put his pencil down and said, "I rest my case."  Trev Alberts' voice went high, "WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!"

He was gone in a few weeks. 

As noted in other posts here his job at UNO seemed to have been sprinkled with unhappy controversies. 

I just wonder about him a bit, now.  He's obviously not Drunk Boy Scott Frost losing a job, but... I do wonder if there is a pattern of cultivating discontent.  At best he's found himself in that.. hoping he's not a cause of it is all I'm saying. 

That's why I said Trev can be an a$$h@!e too. There's no way he comes out of this looking fresh. What he did is pretty unforgivable to a fan base that's been s#!t on for decades, and the only beacon in the limelight has been volleyball (thank god for John Cook and those women). His tweets the past 24hrs have also been extremely cringe.

It's one thing for us 9 to 5 people to leave a job because our bosses suck, but he was getting paid almost $2M/yr to guide this program and deal with the bulls#!t. $2M in Lincoln Nebraska goes a loooong way. To lie to a fandoms face and tell them the things he did the past few years and then fly out the door to an old rival just when things are looking up is trash. Even more so when he never spoke out about the issues publicly. The dude would have had the entire state's ear. As an alumni and supposed lover of the program he had a responsibility to speak out, and he didn't.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 4
15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

His tweets the past 24hrs have also been extremely cringe.

So true.  You don't leave a job and then comment about it.  He is setting himself as being above everyone associated the wt the program - kind of a superiority complex. 

17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

but he was getting paid almost $2M/yr to guide this program and deal with the bulls#!t.

True.   He's looking for that perfect job -- Alert: It doesn't exist.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

Also,

People like this tweeter are completely missing the point. Literally no one is saying "Trev is a liberal and wants to get away from conservatives". He's arguing with a strawman. It's about leadership style. One governor is trying to micromanage the university and the other governor might allow more autonomy in the state university system. These two people can both be Republicans and it's not contradictory at all. 

For the record, I'm not saying this is definitively WHY Trev left. I'm not even saying that this is true. I'm just saying it's a theory that's valid to speculate about and "Trev is a registered Republican" or "Republicans are also in power in Texas" doesn't disprove that theory.

• TBH 6

1.  Perhaps the university shouldnt have dragged its feet with this elongated search for president.  Trev had power, money and security; but with like many jobs- people can lose interest under bad leaders, temp leaders or absent leaders.  Perhaps trev's interest drifted due to the ongoing uncertainty on who his boss was going to be in and it opened the door for others to swoop in.

2.  We 100% need to bring in a guy who prioritizes the health and strength of the football program.  I get the AD is the leader for all sports, but nebraska falls in the category that maybe 10 other programs do where its football or bust.  We cannot afford to lose matt rhule and take a step back on what is being built. 

3. Serious look needs to be done at the regents/higher ups.  You just lost a relatively young AD who was doing great things who happened to be a literal nebraska guy.  To have him just leave without a trace of suspicion is a bad look on leadership.  Sounds like they didn't even have runway to try and see what it would take for trev to stay.  

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
8 minutes ago, brontosaurus said:

People like this tweeter are completely missing the point. Literally no one is saying "Trev is a liberal and wants to get away from conservatives". He's arguing with a strawman. It's about leadership style. One governor is trying to micromanage the university and the other governor might allow more autonomy in the state university system. These two people can both be Republicans and it's not contradictory at all. 

For the record, I'm not saying this is definitively WHY Trev left. I'm not even saying that this is true. I'm just saying it's a theory that's valid to speculate about and "Trev is a registered Republican" or "Republicans are also in power in Texas" doesn't disprove that theory.

It probably isn't liberal or conservative policy issues that are at play when discussing the "politics" that Trev is leaving behind.

Anyone who has tried to work professionally in Lincoln in anything close to a state or university job knows that Lincoln is ran by a bunch of fossilized old hacks who throw temper tantrums, leverage political favors, and meddle in everything in order to get their way even on the most minute of things. When they don't, they are willing to burn the entire operation to the ground out of spite in order to try to enact their agenda. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ZRod said:

That's why I said Trev can be an a$$h@!e too. There's no way he comes out of this looking fresh. What he did is pretty unforgivable to a fan base that's been s#!t on for decades, and the only beacon in the limelight has been volleyball (thank god for John Cook and those women). His tweets the past 24hrs have also been extremely cringe.

It's one thing for us 9 to 5 people to leave a job because our bosses suck, but he was getting paid almost $2M/yr to guide this program and deal with the bulls#!t. $2M in Lincoln Nebraska goes a loooong way. To lie to a fandoms face and tell them the things he did the past few years and then fly out the door to an old rival just when things are looking up is trash. Even more so when he never spoke out about the issues publicly. The dude would have had the entire state's ear. As an alumni and supposed lover of the program he had a responsibility to speak out, and he didn't.

Yep. The underlying cause BS does nothing to diminish Trev effing the University and fanbase. Time won’t heal this. I am not opposed to removing his NIL from everything related to Nebraska. At the very least they should change his name on the stadium to an Aggie maroon color. Pound sand Trev.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. The underlying cause BS does nothing to diminish Trev effing the University and fanbase. Time won’t heal this. I am not opposed to removing his NIL from everything related to Nebraska. At the very least they should change his name on the stadium to an Aggie maroon color. Pound sand Trev.

It sounds harsh, but imagine if Frost got the team going and then left for a similar position.  There wouldn’t be any warm and fuzzies at all!

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

1.  Perhaps the university shouldnt have dragged its feet with this elongated search for president.  Trev had power, money and security; but with like many jobs- people can lose interest under bad leaders, temp leaders or absent leaders.  Perhaps trev's interest drifted due to the ongoing uncertainty on who his boss was going to be in and it opened the door for others to swoop in.

2.  We 100% need to bring in a guy who prioritizes the health and strength of the football program.  I get the AD is the leader for all sports, but nebraska falls in the category that maybe 10 other programs do where its football or bust.  We cannot afford to lose matt rhule and take a step back on what is being built. 

3. Serious look needs to be done at the regents/higher ups.  You just lost a relatively young AD who was doing great things who happened to be a literal nebraska guy.  To have him just leave without a trace of suspicion is a bad look on leadership.  Sounds like they didn't even have runway to try and see what it would take for trev to stay.  

I am assuming UNL, like other schools, has someone who takes care of the Olympic sports.  The AD at a place like Nebraska, should only deal with FB, VB, MBB, WBB and maybe Baseball and Softball.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So true.  You don't leave a job and then comment about it.  He is setting himself as being above everyone associated the wt the program - kind of a superiority complex. 

True.   He's looking for that perfect job -- Alert: It doesn't exist.  

I’ve tried to stay positive and not look too negative towards Trev in all of this. But, his tweets are making it very hard. 

Very tone deaf. 

• Plus1 2

He's been in charge of UNO and UNL for a while now so it's not like he just showed up...I think he just wants a change from whatever is going on down there, the regents or whoever, or he'd just rather live in Texas. I thought it was strange that Rob Childress came back from A&M to take a lesser job...now Trev is going there. I now wonder if there were any convos at that time about Trev going there. I also wonder if the Nebraska regents and staff are toxic....people don't stay here long anymore. Bill Moos didn't seem too enamored with the job either. Maybe it's time to clean house?