2024 Spring Practice Notes - Quarterbacks

1 hour ago, brophog said:

The thing I really notice as a positive change with Haarberg is his comfort factor. He knows he can't get hit, so maybe that has something to do with it, but he was so indecisive and skittish last year. In the spring game, they're not all amazing plays but he checks down when he needs to, he throws it away when he has to, and he stands tall in the pocket.

I'll piggy back off this by echoing this as well as a noticeable difference in his mechanics.  He's still figuring it out and there were a few passes where he put too much air under the ball because he's still thinking about his mechanics.  There were a few plays where you could see him working through his progression while remaining poised in the pocket and we never saw that last season.  Hard to look at that and not believe Rhule made the right call bringing Thomas in.  

On that some note, DR is really advanced reading the D pre and post snap.  He makes those RPO's look easy and effortless.  

6 hours ago, Mavric said:

I thought HH looked an order of magnitude better too. Feel a lot better if he is #2 and has to come in. On his play at 1:08 on the film he looks right for his first read and doesn't like what he saw there, second read over the middle there was no receiver (can be see from an end zone shot) and finally on his third read he finds Fidone crossing from the left for a big gain. 99% sure that wouldn't have happened last year. 

8 hours ago, floridacorn said:

I'll piggy back off this by echoing this as well as a noticeable difference in his mechanics.  He's still figuring it out and there were a few passes where he put too much air under the ball because he's still thinking about his mechanics.  There were a few plays where you could see him working through his progression while remaining poised in the pocket and we never saw that last season.  Hard to look at that and not believe Rhule made the right call bringing Thomas in.  

I thought Haarberg looked like the backup QB and I mean that as a compliment. What do you want your backup to do: don't take unnecessary risks, check down when necessary, throw it away when necessary, get completions and move the chains. He played within himself and listened to his coaching and because he's a very talented guy he can do that and still make some big plays. I said coming in that he was the QB I wanted to see the most because he was the benchmark last year and that benchmark has risen substantially.

I thought Kaelin looked like a talented freshman. I've seen some people out there say they were disappointed in him, but it's not a crime for a freshman to play like a freshman. There's a reason why even the most talented freshman QBs rarely play significant time their first year. It's not an easy transition to make and I thought he did some good things and some bad things but overall showed he's a very capable player with an exciting career ahead of him. I don't think it's fair to compare him or Haarberg to Raiola because I'm not sure by the end of the season it'll be fair to compare any college QB to Raiola.

I think if the offense continues to make strides this summer and fall (and a lot of people did a lot of good things today) then once Raiola starts stacking games on top of each other and learning from those experiences......I just think his trajectory will be very steep. He just makes things look so easy, and not easy "for a freshman" but easy for anyone. He has the physical tools, the intangibles, the leadership, the work ethic, all of the coaching resources in the world......but he lacks the experience. 

• Plus1 3

A lot of love for HH.  Didn’t see this huge transformation some saw.  He had a few good throws.  Made several into coverage.  He’s a back up.  We need back ups.

i hope he sticks around.  I’d like to see him on the field in a different role.  I like what DK did.  DR is by himself, but I’d really like to see DK use the time to get better.

7 hours ago, brophog said:

I thought Haarberg looked like the backup QB and I mean that as a compliment. What do you want your backup to do: don't take unnecessary risks, check down when necessary, throw it away when necessary, get completions and move the chains. He played within himself and listened to his coaching and because he's a very talented guy he can do that and still make some big plays. I said coming in that he was the QB I wanted to see the most because he was the benchmark last year and that benchmark has risen substantially.

I thought Kaelin looked like a talented freshman. I've seen some people out there say they were disappointed in him, but it's not a crime for a freshman to play like a freshman. There's a reason why even the most talented freshman QBs rarely play significant time their first year. It's not an easy transition to make and I thought he did some good things and some bad things but overall showed he's a very capable player with an exciting career ahead of him. I don't think it's fair to compare him or Haarberg to Raiola because I'm not sure by the end of the season it'll be fair to compare any college QB to Raiola.

I think if the offense continues to make strides this summer and fall (and a lot of people did a lot of good things today) then once Raiola starts stacking games on top of each other and learning from those experiences......I just think his trajectory will be very steep. He just makes things look so easy, and not easy "for a freshman" but easy for anyone. He has the physical tools, the intangibles, the leadership, the work ethic, all of the coaching resources in the world......but he lacks the experience. 

Agree.  Coach speak aside, I would go so far as to say they are each exactly where Rhule would hope they would be when spring ended.  DR the clear #1, HH an improved/improving backup, and DK showing promise, but at a level where he should be embracing a RedShirt season.  

48 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

A lot of love for HH.  Didn’t see this huge transformation some saw.  He had a few good throws.  Made several into coverage.  He’s a back up.  We need back ups.

I think he's improved and enough to expect he'll continue to improve.  

• Plus1 1

While I did enjoy the spring game the thing I question is how much did we actually get better?  Yes you practice to not make mistakes but really it was just a glorified practice.  There were multiple defensive starters held out and no blitzes and the qb's couldn't get hit or tackled so it's hard to judge how we are going to look during our first game.  I understand that DR looked awesome throwing the ball and HH looked improved but we need to have the improvements show up when it matters so don't know what to take away from the spring game except thank for putting on a show for us the fans.

28 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

While I did enjoy the spring game the thing I question is how much did we actually get better?  Yes you practice to not make mistakes but really it was just a glorified practice.  There were multiple defensive starters held out and no blitzes and the qb's couldn't get hit or tackled so it's hard to judge how we are going to look during our first game.  I understand that DR looked awesome throwing the ball and HH looked improved but we need to have the improvements show up when it matters so don't know what to take away from the spring game except thank for putting on a show for us the fans.

That’s pretty much the only thing you can take away. Thanks for the show.