Keys To Beating Iowa

As an avowed hater of all things Hawkeye...I have prepared the following scouting reports. One based on my perspective and one based on a typical Iowa fan's perspective.

When Iowa Has The Ball:

Typical Iowa Fan: We'll give the ball the Coker and he will sprout tracks and a steel blade to bulldoze the Huskers into the ground for the first ten yards afterwhich he will put on his cape and do a flyby over the rest of the field to honor the troops before landing in the endzone for the first of many touchdowns. When we have to throw the ball, Vandenberg will engage the GPS tracker in his head which enables him to accurately throw perfect spiral after perfect spiral into the hands of McNutt who can do more magic with his hands than a drunk massage therapist. McNutt will vault over any Husker that stands in his way, duck low flying aircraft and land, like a cat, in the endzone scoring yet another record breaking TD. Our O-Line will all be carrying shovels in order to dig the Husker defense out of the ground after they plant them like corn with pancake blocks...

My Take: Vandenberg can't run so you won't have to worry about him scrambling to the outside like Robinson. He's just not very mobile. When it comes to throwing, his receivers bail him out quite a bit. McNutt is good but most of his circus catches were made simply because Vanderberg threw behind of over him. The more he gets smacked around, the more inaccurate he becomes. Coker is basically Burkhead with more carries because his QB can't run. Stuff him with run blitzes with Compton and David. Make him fumble and he'll lose confidence. There is no depth behind him. McNutt is basically the receiver corps. Iowa rarely uses the TE as a target. The line is young and prone to getting run over if they have too much to think about. They are okay but only because the play calling is so basic.

When Nebraska Has The Ball

Typical Iowa Fan: Martinez can't throw so we'll just stuff the box and smash Burkhead into a mushy spot on the turf. We are so fast that Martinez will not only never make it to the corner but he won't even get onto the sidewalk. Our guys may be a little undersized but we're fast! We're so fast we're in the backfield before the ball is. Our secondary sends player after player to the NFL so that should show you how good we are. We're so good we don't even have to run a Cover 2...we run a Cover 1 1/2. The way Nebraska catches, we can stuff the box with 10 guys and just let Prater cover all their receivers. Even if Martinez can manage to not bounce it off Caputo's helmet, if it actually gets to one of his stone hands receivers he'll drop it anyway....I smell a shut out.

My Take: Iowa is a horrible containment team. Do what you do with Martinez and the option outside and you'll rip off big chunks of yardage eventually. I say eventually because Iowa does put out quite a bit of effort for a quarter or two but as the game goes on, they run out of gas. The D-line is light and it should be easy to open up holes for Burkhead. The LB's are all young and bite on a lot of misdirection. The secondary doesn't like to take on big lineman. The way to beat this team is to just pummel them into submission because they can't hold up. If I were coaching, I would not pass unless Iowa has proven it can stop my running attack.

Intangibles:

Typical Iowa Fan: Am I going to Lincoln? Heck no...it might be cold and stuff. I'll watch it on TV after I'm done getting drunk or something.

My Take: Since most Iowa fans think Nebraska starts a couple miles west of Waukee, I would be surprised if many of them make the trip to Lincoln. Most of them will get lost or distracted by Omaha and forget there is a football game going on. The ones that do make it are probably going to end up being the most die-hard Hawkeye fans out there...in other words, the biggest idiots our state has to offer. If one approaches you, first hide your livestock and alcohol and then, for safety sake, give them a hard kick in the crotch. If they didn't do anything to deserve it at that exact moment, they probably have in the past so you're doing the rest of society a big favor...and they're Hawkeye fans so it all equals out.

There you go...to beat Iowa you just need to pound on them and keep pounding on them until they fold up like a house of cards...and then pound on their fans and have them all arrested while leaving Lincoln and sent to Colorado. Good Luck!

And it's just my opinion but if Nebraska had Herrman and Burnham as their coordinators, this would have been a great year for Nebraska.

• Fire 8

This game reminds me a lot of Michigan State as opposed to anyone else we've played recently. Maybe Penn State.

Vandenburg ain't gonna go anywhere on us anytime soon. This is EXCELLENT for our chance because as bad as we look trying to shut down a QB that can even spell the word mobile, Bo's shown time and again he can shut down pocket passers. Coker is a pretty good running back, and you better believe Iowa's got the line to open up holes for him. They also have a damn dangerous wideout in DJK.

I really feel like I should know more about this team, having a friend on the team and growing up in Iowa. But alas, while I was there and in the two years since I came to Nebraska for school, I fail to care less about any team that doesn't don the Scarlet and Cream on Saturdays. Ahh, a real football team... :D

Can't really comment on their defense... just haven't paid close enough attention. They usually field a solid, if unspectacular, unit. I think if we find a way to shut down Coker (who is option 1, 2, and 3 in the running game, btw), we win the game. Can't let Johnson-Koulianos beat us deep either though.

As an avowed hater of all things Hawkeye...I have prepared the following scouting reports. One based on my perspective and one based on a typical Iowa fan's perspective.

When Iowa Has The Ball:

Typical Iowa Fan: We'll give the ball the Coker and he will sprout tracks and a steel blade to bulldoze the Huskers into the ground for the first ten yards afterwhich he will put on his cape and do a flyby over the rest of the field to honor the troops before landing in the endzone for the first of many touchdowns. When we have to throw the ball, Vandenberg will engage the GPS tracker in his head which enables him to accurately throw perfect spiral after perfect spiral into the hands of McNutt who can do more magic with his hands than a drunk massage therapist. McNutt will vault over any Husker that stands in his way, duck low flying aircraft and land, like a cat, in the endzone scoring yet another record breaking TD. Our O-Line will all be carrying shovels in order to dig the Husker defense out of the ground after they plant them like corn with pancake blocks...

My Take: Vandenberg can't run so you won't have to worry about him scrambling to the outside like Robinson. He's just not very mobile. When it comes to throwing, his receivers bail him out quite a bit. McNutt is good but most of his circus catches were made simply because Vanderberg threw behind of over him. The more he gets smacked around, the more inaccurate he becomes. Coker is basically Burkhead with more carries because his QB can't run. Stuff him with run blitzes with Compton and David. Make him fumble and he'll lose confidence. There is no depth behind him. McNutt is basically the receiver corps. Iowa rarely uses the TE as a target. The line is young and prone to getting run over if they have too much to think about. They are okay but only because the play calling is so basic.

Typical Iowa Fan: Martinez can't throw so we'll just stuff the box and smash Burkhead into a mushy spot on the turf. We are so fast that Martinez will not only never make it to the corner but he won't even get onto the sidewalk. Our guys may be a little undersized but we're fast! We're so fast we're in the backfield before the ball is. Our secondary sends player after player to the NFL so that should show you how good we are. We're so good we don't even have to run a Cover 2...we run a Cover 1 1/2. The way Nebraska catches, we can stuff the box with 10 guys and just let Prater cover all their receivers. Even if Martinez can manage to not bounce it off Caputo's helmet, if it actually gets to one of his stone hands receivers he'll drop it anyway....I smell a shut out.

My Take: Iowa is a horrible containment team. Do what you do with Martinez and the option outside and you'll rip off big chunks of yardage eventually. I say eventually because Iowa does put out quite a bit of effort for a quarter or two but as the game goes on, they run out of gas. The D-line is light and it should be easy to open up holes for Burkhead. The LB's are all young and bite on a lot of misdirection. The secondary doesn't like to take on big lineman. The way to beat this team is to just pummel them into submission because they can't hold up. If I were coaching, I would not pass unless Iowa has proven it can stop my running attack.

Intangibles:

Typical Iowa Fan: Am I going to Lincoln? Heck no...it might be cold and stuff. I'll watch it on TV after I'm done getting drunk or something.

My Take: Since most Iowa fans think Nebraska starts a couple miles west of Waukee, I would be surprised if many of them make the trip to Lincoln. Most of them will get lost or distracted by Omaha and forget there is a football game going on. The ones that do make it are probably going to end up being the most die-hard Hawkeye fans out there...in other words, the biggest idiots our state has to offer. If one approaches you, first hide your livestock and alcohol and then, for safety sake, give them a hard kick in the crotch. If they didn't do anything to deserve it at that exact moment, they probably have in the past so you're doing the rest of society a big favor...and they're Hawkeye fans so it all equals out.

There you go...to beat Iowa you just need to pound on them and keep pounding on them until they fold up like a house of cards...and then pound on their fans and have them all arrested while leaving Lincoln and sent to Colorado. Good Luck!

And it's just my opinion but if Nebraska had Herrman and Burnham as their coordinators, this would have been a great year for Nebraska.

This was funny! Thanks for giving us the 'scoop'. Just curious: Who are Herman and Burnham? GO BIG RED!

It's good to see Iowa State and Nebraska come together in this time of love and harmony. It's like the Whos down in Whoville singing, only instead of Christmas it's a great, overwhelming hate of all things Black and Gold. Warms the cockles of my heart.

When Iowa Has The Ball:

Intangibles:

The way Nebraska catches, we can stuff the box with 10 guys and just let Prater cover all their receivers. :lol::rollin

Most of them will get lost or distracted by Omaha and forget there is a football game going on. :funnyhahah