Is Bo Pelini's seat hot?

Excel

Bo Pelini hot seat?  

201 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a senior at the University (should be working on my stupid papers right now, but, football comes first), so I'll give my opinion.

From time to time, I meet some of the players in my adventures in the Lincoln bars. Mostly nice guys. I haven't heard one bad word out of them about Pelini, they love him. I do not at all believe Bo has lost the respect of his players. It's like any familial relationship: Just because you get in occasional spats doesn't mean the overall relationship is cold. We only see them during high pressure moments.

There is no way Bo's getting fired this year. Nope. There were achievements, whether we like to admit it or not. We won 6 games in a row for the first time since 2001, that means something I think.

As unhappy and pessimistic as I have been, I'm not yet at the point where I'm going to call for Bo's head. No. We have seen teams under Bo with great offenses and great defenses. We have yet to see them both in the same season.

You take that '09 defense, and pair it with this season's offense? You've got a national title contender right there. We know that Bo can acquire the pieces, the problem is still putting them together.

Recruiting's gotta pick up, first of all. Has to. #1 priority after the bowl game. We need to rebuild our walk-on program so that it is developing the offensive and defensive lines we need. I've always felt that the most important positions in a football game are the lines. You can win big games with a mediocre backfield if you have an excellent O-line. You can disrupt any offense if you have a great D-line. Nebraska used that mantra to build a dynasty that lasted from the early 60s to the early 2000s.

We've got the skills players. Martinez, Abdullah, Bell, Turner...these guys are great. Our lines are the problem.

I still believe in Bo. That belief has been shaken a bit, yes, but I still believe.

• Fire 2

Few seasons breathing room. I'd like to think T.O. is a little more patient and reasonable than the folks that crawl out of the woodwork to vent on message boards after a tough loss.

I disagree with you, Dude, Bo is most definitely on the hot seat. T.O.'s patience is no longer a factor in this discussion. And I've been surprised by the lack of folks that only post here when the going gets though. I wonder what the suicide rates in Lincoln look like this week.

Few seasons breathing room. I'd like to think T.O. is a little more patient and reasonable than the folks that crawl out of the woodwork to vent on message boards after a tough loss.

I disagree with you, Dude, Bo is most definitely on the hot seat. T.O.'s patience is no longer a factor in this discussion. And I've been surprised by the lack of folks that only post here when the going gets though. I wonder what the suicide rates in Lincoln look like this week.

18462291.jpg

18462291.jpg

So when you respond to yourself on a message board, is that like dividing by zero?

If so, is it wrong to hope that the black hole that swallows our planet whole happens before we get blasted by Georgia? :)

I'm a senior at the University (should be working on my stupid papers right now, but, football comes first), so I'll give my opinion.

From time to time, I meet some of the players in my adventures in the Lincoln bars. Mostly nice guys. I haven't heard one bad word out of them about Pelini, they love him. I do not at all believe Bo has lost the respect of his players. It's like any familial relationship: Just because you get in occasional spats doesn't mean the overall relationship is cold. We only see them during high pressure moments.

There is no way Bo's getting fired this year. Nope. There were achievements, whether we like to admit it or not. We won 6 games in a row for the first time since 2001, that means something I think.

As unhappy and pessimistic as I have been, I'm not yet at the point where I'm going to call for Bo's head. No. We have seen teams under Bo with great offenses and great defenses. We have yet to see them both in the same season.

You take that '09 defense, and pair it with this season's offense? You've got a national title contender right there. We know that Bo can acquire the pieces, the problem is still putting them together.

Recruiting's gotta pick up, first of all. Has to. #1 priority after the bowl game. We need to rebuild our walk-on program so that it is developing the offensive and defensive lines we need. I've always felt that the most important positions in a football game are the lines. You can win big games with a mediocre backfield if you have an excellent O-line. You can disrupt any offense if you have a great D-line. Nebraska used that mantra to build a dynasty that lasted from the early 60s to the early 2000s.

We've got the skills players. Martinez, Abdullah, Bell, Turner...these guys are great. Our lines are the problem.

I still believe in Bo. That belief has been shaken a bit, yes, but I still believe.

pretty good points- add this one, injuries- for all the bubbling about Bo not being able to recruit, we've had some bad luck with injuries on the D line that has left us very thin and it shows-

The only thing that bugs me about Bo is he seems to not always plays the best athletes and the defense always seems confused in these big games

i wouldnt say that we KNOW that Bo can acquire the pieces that 09 defense were guys from the previous regime, but you're right i dont think Bo has lost the team, recruiting needs to pick up you cant afford to miss on guys it really shows up when guys go down and you dont have any one behind him capable of stepping up and even though i love the history of the walk on program you cant honestly hope to compete with elite teams or even the best teams in the confrence while starting as many walk ons as this team has the last few years

I think Bo is safe for two years, at least.

Nebraskans, other faults aside, are patient.

We learned in the past that it does not happen over night. Bob and Tom got an extended period to make it happen. We got anxious with Frank and got burned. I do not think we will blindly do so again. Bo has shown enough to plough onward. He may not pan out, but we are a patient people, for the most part. I do not think we part ways with Bo until it is obvious we must.

That Northwestern game, coming after the Ohio State embarrasment with an extra week to prepare and every reason to focus and find your character, the Huskers came out and played horrible mistake-riddled ball in every phase of the game. For three quarters. They were lucky to win and Bo was so visibly relieved after the game that I truly believe he thought he might get fired had they lost.

The "win out" run was fun. Kinda. But the loss to Wisconsin makes me think we would have lost rematches with almost everyone we beat in the Big 10.

Bo's in a bad position. His job is safe for one or two seasons, but he will spend them on the hot seat anyway. He gets outcoached by most decent coaches and if the problem goes back to a talent deficit, it will be hard to see the change or establish a pipeline in one or two seasons.

Bo seat is somehwere between warm and hot.Simmering? I think this next year will be his last at NU and here is why: 1) Martinez is a senior and if Bo has a lackluster season next year with the easy schedule and a veteran offense you can bet Huskernation will be very upset. 2) A new AD will be in the office and likely looking to stake a claim to returning NU to prominence whether firing Bo is the right thing or not, the new AD will definitly make himself known.

What I think happens is this: We start off the year really hot, probably undefeated by the time we get to Michigan but we get pasted on the road....agian. We back into the conference title game against OSU and lose by 17-21. At which point Husker fans are upset like they are this year but not upset enough to fire Bo. However, Bo knowing that Martinez will not be returning the following year listens to his agent telling him his stock is high enough that he can go elsewhere get paid more and not have to deal with the microscope that is NU football. Between the conference title game and the bowl Bo accepts a new coaching position and we are left with Tim Beck as head coach going into the bowl game at which point we get smacked....agian, and the carousel begins.....again.

Now if that doesnt happen Bo will likely get canned in 2014 when with a green QB the team puts up a 7-5 record.