God Hates Gays

Well I've got a few things to........oh nevermind.

Actually, I do have one thing to say about the title. IMO anything that follows "God hates......" cannot be attributed to God but rather to some misguided human who thinks they understand the mind of God but they really have no clue. I dunno, I was always taught that God doesn't hate anybody and that even the most vile among us almost always has the opportunity to receive forgiveness. But that's me, opinions may differ.

So that begs the question;

If the person saying "God hates..." has a misunderstanding on the mind of god, how do the people who taught you that god doesn't hate anybody...know how the mind of god works?

I think the logical answer would be if God wanted homosexuality in humans he would have given them the ability to procreate.

note: this is not my view nor do I endorse it. I am just giving what I would think is the only logical reason why God would hate homosexuals.

I would think God would take the extra step and make homosexuality a biological impossibility. Considering that homosexual traits are observed in other species as well, it seems to be something that just naturally arises in a subset of the population. Homosexuality can't be treated as an act that's running counter to nature, when it's nature itself that's the cause for such behavior.

Since we're actually going to get into discussion here - there are two definitions of nature if we're going to assume for a second that God exists. The first definition is what we all understand, just simply according to the laws of nature. The second definition, however, is natural in the sense of the way that God originally intended for things to be. Homosexuality is only natural to the first sense of the definition. In much the same way that natural orientations towards anger, aggression, depression, and other less than ideal or preferred tendencies, homosexuality is a result of the effects of the disease of sin on this world.

You're opening up an unfathomably huge can of worms in stating that God would step in and make certain "bad" things impossible, because where do you stop? If we're going to be consistent with the idea that God should disable evil things then the logical conclusion is that we would all be instantly eliminated, which...hey, weird, the Bible says that's exactly what we deserve and the fact that we're living is grace! :)

Good post. As one Bible teacher told me, "We cannot enjoy a Hershey bar outside of the atonement of Christ". In otherwords, outside of the the grace of God and Christ's atonement, we all deserved death upon our 1st sin/disobedience. Biblically speaking, the apostle Paul placed Homosexuallity in the same group as liars, slanders, theifs, sexual sins, etc. - we all are falling short of the mark (Romans 3:23) but God loves all of us and gave us Christ's atonement to provide a way back to Him.

The things that God hates is spelled out in Proverbs 6.

16There are six things the Lord hates,

seven that are detestable to him:

17haughty eyes (PRIDE),

a lying tongue,

hands that shed innocent blood,

18a heart that devises wicked schemes,

feet that are quick to rush into evil,

19a false witness who pours out lies

and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers

17haughty eyes (PRIDE),

a lying tongue,

That's a good set of verses for this thread. ;)

17haughty eyes (PRIDE),

a lying tongue,

That's a good set of verses for this thread. ;)

Good one!

• 3 weeks later...

Easy answer:

No God, religion is outdated and no longer needed now that we as a race can be logical and are scientifically advanced. If you need God to tell you not to kill or steal you have a problem. It is in mans nature as a species to help one another.

Man as a species enjoys helping others. Studies have been done on people and also other mammals that show we feel rewarded etc when helping others. The one that comes to mind was conducted on apes and involved sharing fruit or keeping it all to himself. They overwhelmingly chose to share the fruit.

There are forms of homosexuality in multiple species. We as man are no different in regards to certain persons being attracted and engaging in homosexuality. I have a female friend I recently worked with who broke down into tears often because she really wanted to be heterosexual. She wanted to live a heterosexual life and have a family. She went to church etc every Sunday and was truly one of the kindest persons I have met. If she could be heterosexual she would. She cannot change that.

In terms of the Bible etc people seem to only want to read and follow certain parts or take this verse literally and the next doesn't count. Unfortunately that book is clearly outdated and was written for a time and people that is not here any longer.

Zoroaster had good and evil figured out thousands of years before today's religions.

So for a short simple answer, homosexuality is something that happens in multiple species. God has nothing to do with it.

Well I'm drunk and my brain loves logic, so there you go.

So does mine. And I've investigated some really hard questions on abiogenesis, metaphysics in quantum mechanics, and frankly a multitude of other issues and came out with an overwhelming conclusion of evidence (both scientific and philosophical) for the existence of God.

Be careful to not insinuate that only the God-less contingency has a corner on logic. It plays strongly into the fallacy of "appeal to majority," especially with the scientific community.

It is in mans nature as a species to help one another.

Serious lulz. Neo-Darwinists have some serious egg on their face in the 21st century, don't they? You may not be a neo-Darwinist, Hedley...but you're making their case very, very difficult.

Keep up the good work.

• Fire 1

So does mine. And I've investigated some really hard questions on abiogenesis, metaphysics in quantum mechanics, and frankly a multitude of other issues and came out with an overwhelming conclusion of evidence (both scientific and philosophical) for the existence of God.

Go on...

(and don't dumb it down I have an extensive science background)

Believe me, tschu...I'm not looking to rub you the wrong way. You have your mind made up, and I have mine, and we both know these don't go well over the internet. You might interpret this as a concession, but I hope you take it as good will - I honestly am not cruising for a debate here. These are personal convictions of mine, and I sincerely don't have any master plans of personally convincing you otherwise.

But in general terms, I haven't seen a solid argument for abiogenesis. We now know the extreme complexity of DNA, and we know it's not too dissimilar from that of computing language. So running with the computing analogies that tend to surround the descriptions of the topic, the argument for abiogenesis from materialists generally goes something like this:

"If we sit there long enough, a computer using random character generation can produce '100 Years of Solitude.' Therefore, it's in turn proved that a computer can create symbols and language."

This is not a working formalism. This type of forced symbolism is entirely different from actually creating a dynamic functional hardware/software system as a cybernetic constructor. To say that chance & necessity can make a set of coded instructions that are capable of being executed is, in my opinion, not logical in the least. I want to see concrete (empirical) evidence of spontaneous emergence of control as opposed to just low-level redundant regularity of structure (or in other words, randomly formulating '100 Years of Solitude).

I don't rule out theistic evolution per se. So I want no part in blanket arguments about whether or not evolution itself is or isn't "workable." But abiogenesis is the real anchor point. If it's not workable, any amount of biological research surrounding genetic mutations/changes is pointless.

Quantum mechanics...I'm no more a physicist than a pro football player. But I've been interested in some basics and have read some interesting hypotheses that look at the four main interpretations as to what quantum mechanics means to reality itself (Copenhagen, Hidden Variables, Many Worlds, and Superdeterminism). Copenhagen & Hidden Variables essentially require a "necessary being." Many Worlds is consistent with theisim. Superdeterminism isn't workable. I'm in no way saying this paragraph proves theres a God...lol, that sounded weird even typing it out. But it's a summary, since you asked.

Ultimately, there's only a slim margin of people that care about this stuff.

If you need God to tell you not to kill or steal you have a problem. It is in mans nature as a species to help one another.

Recent events say otherwise.

For every one shooting how many good deeds were done? Someone holding a door open. Donating to charities. Giving to a food bank. You will always have bad apples. As population grows so does the number of bad apples.

• Fire 1