DE Harrison Phillips [Stanford - Signed LOI]

Harvard, Yale, and, now, UPenn. Good for you, young man.

I know the lure of big time ball is huge but how do you turn down these schollies? Wait for Stanford, I guess. The 30 year old SkerChicago, with nothing but hindsight, says jump for it.

I don't think Ivy League schools give out athletic scholarships.

• Fire 1

I know the lure of big time ball is huge but how do you turn down these schollies? Wait for Stanford, I guess. The 30 year old SkerChicago, with nothing but hindsight, says jump for it.

Oh really? I did not know that. Bastards.

They "don't", they give out these financial aid packages that help to reduce the tuition.

They "don't", they give out these financial aid packages that help to reduce the tuition.

Very similar to how Catholic HS in my area gave "academic" scholarships to average students who were, coincidentally, very good athletes.

In response (to Fowler) whom I respect, I understand what your saying as well, but where our line of thinking on recruiting differs, I believe, is on the value of our home state talent. I know there are always going to be higher rated position players from around the country ie; the 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd highest rated players on the Husker board you are referring to. But, my point is unless every one of those higher rated guys are 5 stars, which we all know they aren't and most likely none are rated 5 stars, then this home town kid should be offered because more than likely, he has grown up a Husker fan and having done so, gives him the bigger heart to perform as a Husker and develop into that Husker All-American or All Conference 1st team player we have so often seen in the past! Bottom line, in MY OPINION is, this kid is worth the scholarship taken up that the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd better rated players that sit higher on our recruiting board are! Husker history has shown that the Nebraska kid growing up idolizing the Huskers and have been dreaming of playing for the Huskers all their lives, many times turn out to be one of the best players on the team year in and year out! It's a proven fact, with years of proof! Look at Jake Long for example... this guy was a walk-on and not as highly thought of as Harrison Phillips coming out of high school but has turned into one of our best 0-lineman on the team if not the best! Plus this kid (Phillips) is as athletic as they come with his performance scores that he recently posted!

I have to agree with you. One of the things that the kids from Neb bring to the table, is tradition. They teach other out of state kids, what it means to be a Cornhusker. What's been passed on from one class to the next, by our walk ons or schollies, players. I think we started to lose some of that under BC, and now maybe its getting instilled, once again. GBR!!!

I don't think Bo can win. Before we weren't getting enough talent now we wanna take less talented Nebraska kids to fill our classes?????????

But that's what you don't get EZ-E. You just can't comprehend that because a kid can do well in Nebraska's class A, he'll dominate kids in a 5A Texas setting.

In response (to Fowler) whom I respect, I understand what your saying as well, but where our line of thinking on recruiting differs, I believe, is on the value of our home state talent. I know there are always going to be higher rated position players from around the country ie; the 1st, 2nd, maybe 3rd highest rated players on the Husker board you are referring to. But, my point is unless every one of those higher rated guys are 5 stars, which we all know they aren't and most likely none are rated 5 stars, then this home town kid should be offered because more than likely, he has grown up a Husker fan and having done so, gives him the bigger heart to perform as a Husker and develop into that Husker All-American or All Conference 1st team player we have so often seen in the past! Bottom line, in MY OPINION is, this kid is worth the scholarship taken up that the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd better rated players that sit higher on our recruiting board are! Husker history has shown that the Nebraska kid growing up idolizing the Huskers and have been dreaming of playing for the Huskers all their lives, many times turn out to be one of the best players on the team year in and year out! It's a proven fact, with years of proof! Look at Jake Long for example... this guy was a walk-on and not as highly thought of as Harrison Phillips coming out of high school but has turned into one of our best 0-lineman on the team if not the best! Plus this kid (Phillips) is as athletic as they come with his performance scores that he recently posted!

I have to agree with you. One of the things that the kids from Neb bring to the table, is tradition. They teach other out of state kids, what it means to be a Cornhusker. What's been passed on from one class to the next, by our walk ons or schollies, players. I think we started to lose some of that under BC, and now maybe its getting instilled, once again. GBR!!!

What about a kid from say, Florida that had grown up a husker fan? Does he have less passion? Does he play with less intensity? Why does the geographical location have anything to with heart or drive?

If the kid has the heart a desire to become a Husker that's great and yes it will help him out tremendously, but he still HAS to be a talented athlete who can compete at this level of play. I think that is up to the staff to determine this through many sources other than watching film alone. Personality, work ethic, how he presents himself are things that can go a long way in evaluating athletes. Yes, I know 5 star talented kids are able to catch on sooner meaning able to translate to the field effectively sooner. But, a three star athlete in Nebraska that has the work ethic, the right personality, and presents himself well in class and beyond can go a long way IMO.

The problem Nebraska kids have is that they hardly go to camps put on by Rivals, UA and others. Coaches from around the country use these camps to determine if the kid is good enough to offer or even look at. I know Phillips has gone to some, hence the offers, but he has not faced kids that are considered better. I think some of his offers are based off of his wrestling and they are hoping it translates to football.

He looked like he held his own. Deserves an offer in my opinion. After reading other posts in this thread, I can say I understand why the coaches slow play some kids in the state for a while. I am sure they want to see them perform in camps against more "elite" competition before offering. I mean lets face it. If Nebraska had a deep pool of talent, we wouldn't have as many offers going to kids out of state.

So after my ramble. Yes he should be offered and be a Husker