Manti Te'o's dead girlfriend?

Ulty

1. He's one of the stupidest people you've ever heard of (for getting catfished so hard he allowed himself to be convinced "she saw him" in person but that he didn't see her.

How many people do college football players meet in a week?

I know that you're smart enough to not believe that what you just said is what you really think about the situation. It cannot possibly be your actual, honest conclusion. You're in full-on melt down mode with that. You're dodging the utter simplicity of the point being made. It's almost not even worth it to continue, because we both know that comment is beyond ridiculous.

Don't make us quote the SI transcript again, Joe. :)

I still think he's gay :dunno

I can't find any other explanation that makes much sense.

I'm still not tossing this theory out. There's still just much more to this. Common sense says so. We wont know the full extent until we know the full extent.

If Tuis. has half a brain, he's lawyered up. If the lawyer has half a brain, he's telling Tui to STFU for a while lest he get sued by Teo or face trouble from the media. When Tuis talks, you can be assured that it will be just as carefully edited and prepped as Teo was.

Or they were both in on it the entire time so there's no need.

So now we're expected to believe that Te'o had hours and hours and hours of conversations with Ronaiah Tuiasosopo and never suspected that "she" wasn't a guy? That's hard to believe.

And, arguendo, if Te'o really was hoaxed by Tuiasosopo, we're talking MAJOR levels of creepiness by Tuiasosopo for faking a girl's voice and persona for hours and hours on dozens of phone calls just to play a prank on someone.

The bizarre Manti Te’o fake girlfriend frenzy reached a new low — with a high-pitched confession.

Hoax mastermind Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, posing as the mysterious Lennay Kekua, was the falsetto voice on the other end of the all-night phone calls with the Notre Dame star, the scammer’s lawyer said.

The Heisman Trophy finalist “thought it was a female he was talking with,” lawyer Milton Grimes acknowledged to the Daily News. “It was Ronaiah as Lennay.”

The soul-baring chats between the star linebacker and the man posing as his phantom girlfriend were the linchpin of their fake fairy-tale romance. But Te’o apparently never realized it was Tuiasosopo disguising his voice to assume the persona of stunning, sassy Stanford coed Kekua.

LINK

The more they explain this, the harder it is to believe the explanations. This doesn't add up at all.

• Fire 1

Katie Couric has released some voicemails purportedly left for Te'o by the fake GF.

http://www.katiecour...atie-exclusive/

These could not be worse-sounding recordings.

Edit - I'm having trouble getting these to work in my browser. Direct links to the VM files:

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/2013/01/Lennay_first_session_chemo_1-2-MP3.mp3

http://cdn.katiecouric.com/media/2013/01/Lennay_accuses_Manti_of_girl_answering_phone_1-2-MP3.mp3

EDIT - the Katie Couric site keeps going down. Deadspin has hosted the voicemails on this page:

http://deadspin.com/...aiah-tuiasosopo

I know a couple people who've been catfished.

They weren't stupid people. They were both pretty damn smart.

But boy, did they want to believe the perfect stranger on the other side of the Internet was perfect. Life was just easier that way.

And the sick people (it often takes more than one) behind the scam knew exactly what they were doing.

Friends of the victims knew something smelled terribly wrong, but there was no convincing the lovelorn until the evidence was overwhelming and hugely embarrassing.

These were 35 - 45 year old women with bad relationship histories. Te'o is a young man who should have been able to score poon at the drop of his pants. The women were not famous, and were never asked to describe their relationship to the national press. So this was embarrassment on top of embarrassment.

I think it went down pretty much as Te'o describes, though he's obviously leaving out even more embarrassing parts.

And Tuiasosopo is an even sicker dude. That's the interview I want to hear.

Or maybe not. Just feels like time to move on.