Braylon Heard Transferring...

Would've loved to see what Heard could do with more carries. He'll be a great back wherever he goes.

Just hypothesizing: It's been said that the players who don't understand the playbook won't see as much playing time as those that do. What if that's the issue? Heard is a natural talent when the ball is in his hands, but I'm curious how well he knew blocking schemes, where to lineup, etc.

Also, it concerns me quite a bit that he wouldn't have spoken with the coaches prior to announcing his transfer. Maybe he did? Maybe he just told a close family member and they leaked it? However, if he hasn't gone to the coaches yet to discuss matters, that says, to me, that he doesn't know how to address the problem.

As a whole, it's not ideal to lose a quality back like Heard, but I'm a little more concerned that our momentum seems to be trending downward within the last week or so (Dom Walker, McWilson, now Heard). At the end of the day, I hope that Nebraska continues to search for team players that want the competition to make themselves better.

Not surprised. He deserved much more playing time than he was getting. At least, based off what we saw him do on the field.

It's hard to buy the "injury" excuse when he so often looked like the fastest guy on the field. I don't remember one time when he looked remotely gimpy.

Plus one The Dude. I have to agree completely. I'll take it a step further and say he was the best RB on the field for most of the games. Regardless of his stats, or how many touches he got. I believe this guy deserved a lot more than he got. I agree with your point about him being injured, I don't but that for a second. I don't buy that he wanted to be closer to home. He had ample time to change his mind about where he was playing with all the work he put in to even get enrolled here. he's going into his junior year, he would have been the number two back on the depth chart, in my opinion he should have been battling for the number one spot, but given the recent history of this program I'll say he would have been stuck splitting carries with Cross. I have to say with this one, there has to be quite a bit we don't know, but I'm very disappointed that we put a kid who worked so hard to get here, a kid who clearly really wanted to play for this program, we put him in this position. A position where he felt like he had no choice but to leave. This has been a damn sad week for this program.

Terry Joseph@Coach_TJoseph

“Always focus on the front windshield and not the review mirror.”Our energy should be on what The HuskerNation can control. LetsFinish #GBR

Smart man

A fan reply tweeted: "I love you." I promise it wasn't me this time.

But yes, smart man. FINISH! #GBR

Its ok you can love an older man, just not a HS kid

Ha! Plus one.

I am just a reader, but had to respond. Heard is a good back, but had trouble blocking in the pro set. This is the main reason he did not see any more carries.

That doesn't make any sense. I could see why that would mean he wouldn't be asked to block as much, but he was obviously a tremendous asset as a ball carrier. Why not use that to help the team? Seemed preferable to wearing down Abdullah.

I am just a reader, but had to respond. Heard is a good back, but had trouble blocking in the pro set. This is the main reason he did not see any more carriers. It sounds likes he might get moved to the slot, which he did not want to do. I have also heard the King was impressive on the scout team. There are many reasons why he wants to leave and not every 4 star pans out. If he is all that good, the coaches will try to get him to stay.

Welcome.

Assuming though that this is correct, that's a very, very fixable issue. He could have worked that out, there's no doubt.

This is why these discussions suck: we don't have all the information. It's not like rehashing last Saturday's game; there's a load of information we don't have. At the very least, we'd all agree that if everyone gives 100% in practice, the field gets better and better. Whether Heard gave 100% in practice or not, we'll never know. But the 'problem blocking out of the pro set' doesn't exactly line up.

I am just a reader, but had to respond. Heard is a good back, but had trouble blocking in the pro set. This is the main reason he did not see any more carries.

That doesn't make any sense. I could see why that would mean he wouldn't be asked to block as much, but he was obviously a tremendous asset as a ball carrier. Why not use that to help the team? Seemed preferable to wearing down Abdullah.

You can't just bring him in on running plays...that is a dead give-a-way to defenses. You have to be an all-around back to play major minutes!

• Fire 1

Probably because if he is only in there to run the ball, the defense will pick up on it, and will stack the box.

Ameer Abdullah@Ameerguapo

here we go with this guy....

Hmm...what does this indicate!?....or mean?....

Well, I can pretty much assume he is talking about Heard being another transfer...but ya never know. There might be more to it.

Ameer's next tweets were:

Is it too later to drop a course?

1hr 15min of straight ramble...

I think he is just in a really boring class and complaining about the boring ass teacher. "Here we go again with this guy."

In that context, makes a little more sense than a random Heard reference.

I have been saying for ages now that our program has systemic issues. The most obvious place this manifests itself is on the field in the form of massacres. Those are disheartening enough. Now the setbacks (defeats) in recruiting and roster are starting to add up.

It's not even an argument that Heard should have seen a dramatic uptick in carries last season, particularly with Burkhead out for the majority of the time. The rotation at running back has been a freaking joke, and that is at the feet of Ron Brown, Tim Beck, and Bo Pelini. I don't care how much you love Rex or Ameer--and we all love them both. Being great is not the same as being indestructible. After nearly killing Rex two seasons back, we see no progress in that area. And this of course also brings up the question of the decision to not redshirt any one of the Three in the first place. One is out the door (no love lost) and the other, despite his chance this spring, may be heading that way.

The troubling part for me is this. With the way this team has performed over the last two years, how much crack do you have to smoke to think that Nebraska can afford to drop people like Braylon or top prospects like so much loose change? Holy hell. This will be an even better discussion come the day Ameer gets the flu, pulls a hammy, or blows a knee.

And he probably will, considering our philosophy going into the season will probably be to give him 60+ carries a game.

• Fire 1

here we go with this guy....

Hmm...what does this indicate!?....or mean?....

Well, I can pretty much assume he is talking about Heard being another transfer...but ya never know. There might be more to it.

Ameer's next tweets were:

Is it too later to drop a course?

1hr 15min of straight ramble...

I think he is just in a really boring class and complaining about the boring ass teacher. "Here we go again with this guy."

In that context, makes a little more sense than a random Heard reference.

Nope hes talking about Bo Pelini's how to block 101 course. I dont think he can drop that without tranferring. Guessing thats what happened with Heard.

I have been saying for ages now that our program has systemic issues. The most obvious place this manifests itself is on the field in the form of massacres. Those are disheartening enough. Now the setbacks (defeats) in recruiting and roster are starting to add up.

It's not even an argument that Heard should have seen a dramatic uptick in carries last season, particularly with Burkhead out for the majority of the time. The rotation at running back has been a freaking joke, and that is at the feet of Ron Brown, Tim Beck, and Bo Pelini. I don't care how much you love Rex or Ameer--and we all love them both. Being great is not the same as being indestructible. After nearly killing Rex two seasons back, we see no progress in that area. And this of course also brings up the question of the decision to not redshirt any one of the Three in the first place. One is out the door (no love lost) and the other, despite his chance this spring, may be heading that way.

The troubling part for me is this. With the way this team has performed over the last two years, how much crack do you have to smoke to think that Nebraska can afford to drop people like Braylon or top prospects like so much loose change? Holy hell. This will be an even better discussion come the day Ameer gets the flu, pulls a hammy, or blows a knee.

And he probably will, considering our philosophy going into the season will probably be to give him 60+ carries a game.

You sound butt hurt.