Bo's Job Security - 2013 (Poll 1)

Bo Pelini's job security  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The irony is that I remember when Steve Pederson said he would not let Nebraska 'gravitate into mediocrity'. That's exactly where I feel we are at and have been from a national title contender perspective.

I would shed no tears if he were fired. The real problem lies in just exactly who would become our next head coach.

At the level we have been recruiting and playing I see nothing mediocre about NU. Not 1990s elite status, but far from mediocre.

• Fire 1

Great idea, but I think you'll have a hard time gauging the "mood" of Husker nation with this question. It's too complex. We all know that it's unlikely that he'll get fired after this season, even I know that...but that's not necessarily representative of my personal mood. There's too much that goes into the firing.

It almost needs to be a something like "Bo Pelini is performing adequately in his role as head coach" (strongly disagree, disagree, moderately disagree, moderately agree, agree, strongly agree) - you don't want a neutral response so use a 6 point scale.

And/or something along the lines of "Bo Pelini's performance as head coach is adequately meeting your expectations" - same scale

You're probably right, but it's just to pass the time. We're not going to draw any kind of conclusion from this either way.

Out of curiosity, why don't you want a neutral response?

Generally speaking when you're surveying for satisfaction you want to force the user to pick a side. It's probably one of the more debated things in survey methodology. I happen to fall on the side of making the user pick, because a neutral response is pretty much useless to the surveyor. If you force them, they'll lean one way or the other. The only time I use neutral responses is when outside forces would influence which way they lean. Maybe something is taboo so you already pretty much know which way a neutral respondent will lean. In that case, they'll skew the data in that direction so giving a neutral option helps ensure the integrity of the question. Something like "I support gay marriage" when asked in San Francisco is going to have a lean towards the agreement side, the same question when asked rural Alabama is going to have a lean in the other direction. Someone could obviously be neutral on their opinion of gay marriage, but because of the region they are in they'll shift to either the positive or negative because of those outside influences.

We call that social desirability :)

The irony is that I remember when Steve Pederson said he would not let Nebraska 'gravitate into mediocrity'. That's exactly where I feel we are at and have been from a national title contender perspective.

I would shed no tears if he were fired. The real problem lies in just exactly who would become our next head coach.

Steve Pederson was fired.

I believe we are above mediocre. Contending for conference championships is above average in my book. I was actually pretty impressed we made it to the CCG last season. Although the defense was bad in our losses, the team generally outplayed my expectations. This year, it's on! (If the defense can do anything). Also, if Bo was ridiculously fired, we wouldn't not find anybody better in MHO.

Ugh. Knappy, what in the hell were you thinking?........

You know, and I know, that Bo isn't even remotely going to get fired this year - even two years from now. He's got three ten-win seasons under his belt and he's one of a very few coaches who have won 9+ games in the past five years. That's understood, so we're not remotely thinking he's going.

All I'm doing is trying to gauge the temper of Husker Fan, as represented on this board. With a poorly-worded question. And an annoyingly dull premise.

We'll see if anything changes during the season. And about the middle of January we'll have a little chart showing the progression of thought of the responders. Which may or may not tell us anything. But it's better than talking about Dennard and his disappointment, or how deep we are (or aren't) at LB for the umpteenth time.

You and I have different definitions of mediocrity. Three conference title games in the last four years is a far cry from mediocre. Not as good as we'd all like, but no where near mediocre.

I am so tired of this conversation. Bo is a good coach and more importantly a great fit for Husker nation. I believe you can't fire a coach for many 9-4, 10-4 seasons in today's college football landscape. To fire Bo or even to think about firing Bo would be a step backwards for this program. I firmly believe a championship is just around the corner. I never felt that way with Callahan. This isn't coming from just a fan, this coming from a guy who knows football through and through. Fans on the other side of the spectrum need to wake up to reality.

If people were this passionate about the job our current US president is doing, our country would be in much better shape.

GBR

this. bo has shown us that he can coach national championship caliber defense (2009 was on of the best d's college football fans have seen in awhile). we are seeing national championship offense right now. just give him time to put it together. sheesh.

There is a possibility we have a crap season, I thought about putting somewhat unlikely, but Bo's been pretty consistent and the sched is do-able. Another "good-enough to keep the job but not excelling" season is much more likely. The big question for me is whether this season we can get off the plateau we've been sitting on and move forward towards being a national power again. We have the offensive firepower to beat anyone on the sched, cut-down on turnovers and play decent D we can have a big year.

Tell you what, if Bo never wins a championship but still churns out 10 or even 9 wins every single year, there is no way he'll get fired. Ever. Sure, fans are going to grumble and yearn for the good ol days, and the pressure of winning a championship will only increase, but to think his seat will get hot if he dares to lose three games is just silly.

You and I have different definitions of mediocrity. Three conference title games in the last four years is a far cry from mediocre. Not as good as we'd all like, but no where near mediocre.

That's because you actually know the definition of mediocre.

• Fire 1

I don't think there is any way he ends up getting fired after this season. He's given us 9+ wins year after year and with this schedule there is no reason we shouldn't expect the same. I'll agree that if we don't get a conference championship under our belt in the next 3 to 5 years then his seat is going to be unbearable.

I don't think there is any way he ends up getting fired after this season. He's given us 9+ wins year after year and with this schedule there is no reason we shouldn't expect the same. I'll agree that if we don't get a conference championship under our belt in the next 3 to 5 years then his seat is going to be unbearable.

Probably depends on Michigan/Ohio State. With where Hoke and Meyer have those schools going we could very well be playing a top 3 team every year for that conference championship. It's bound to get tougher. Can't get any easier than a 5 loss opponent. I still think everything is going to center around how competitive of a team we field. If we reach that game every year, and have a similar outcome to last year a couple more times...it going to quickly gloss over those 9 wins. As someone else said, every year since that A&M game in 2010 we've slowly become less and less competitive in those national stage type games. It seems like the 2010 Texas game is when we discovered Bo has a hard time bringing the A team for big games. Maybe once a season he can, but we play 3 or 4 of those games a year, and generally we've been the better team in most of them.

Last 2 years, with 8 losses I'd say the only teams we weren't better than going into the game was Wisconsin (2011), South Carolina (2011), Ohio State (2012 - and this one is close), Georgia (2012). He should have 2 or 3 out of those other 4 losses, and maybe 1 of these 4.