Blackshirts!

So..obviously this just amps up the next few days...and they look great in black.

My question is....has Bo changed his philosophy or have these guys truly convinced Bo they have earned the Blackshirt? I'm taking this, along with the release of the prank video as a sign he is truly confident of this team.

It's probably a number of things. Bo has said a number of times that he likes the leadership on this team more than in the past (this is also reflected by his decision to have permanent captains). I also think both of these decisions (shirts/captains) demonstrate that Bo is not as stubborn as many think.

I also think that John Papuchis probably had something to do with the decision - I think they're trying to distribute some shirts now to motivate their players - both the veterans who were given blackshirts, and those players who are still fighting for one.

My question is, when will more blackshirts be distributed? And to whom?

I was thinking the same thing. Reward those who have stepped up. Create some competition for the remaining blackshirts.

I like the move! Can't wait for kick off.

GBR!!!!!

Any surprise that Zaire didn't get one as well?

A bit. Maybe next week. I'd love to see him have a huge game this weekend.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they are trying to give him that little extra bit if motivation and drive. Sort of along the lines of even though he deserved one, they know he still has a lot more in him so they don't want him to get complacent. Just a thought, and doesn't really matter. I was just surprised he didn't get one is all.

Like this move a lot. Only handing out 7 still gives that motivational factor of earning them for the other guys that are coming along, and still rewards the leadership on the team. I actually like this method better than handing out all 11 just because a freshman happened to crack the starting spot. That doesn't mean he's "earned" the blackshirt yet...but I don't think the guys that have already earned it should be punished for being part of a younger team. Bo found a perfect medium IMO.

Jon Nyatawa's article has some insight to Bo's decision:

The NU coaches have indicated to the rest of the defenders that more Blackshirts could be awarded as the year progresses. Several new faces will make their debuts during Saturday's season opener against Wyoming.

All of those young players have been tutored quite well by their teammates, according to defensive coordinator John Papuchis. And now those role models, dressed in black, will stand out even more in practice.

“We decided that some of the veteran guys, some of the leadership, have done a tremendous job helping the younger guys on our defense come along,” Papuchis said. “If part of being a Blackshirt is being defined by your work ethic, your attention to detail and the leadership you bring to the team — the guys we awarded them to are certainly all of those things.”

More quotes from Bo in there, as well as a bad-ass picture of Stanley Jean-Baptiste in his Blackshirt (which nobody is allowed to post here - sorry).

This is an interesting move by Bo and JP. I wasn't critical of Bo and his handling of the Blackshirts in the past, but this seems like a good idea to reward a core group of guys going into the season.

Also, by handing out only 7, Bo still gives ammunition to his detractors to complain "How come all the starters didn't get Blackshirts. In the past, they represented the entire starting defense!!!!"

:sarcasm