What we learned today...

walksalone

How many would have Wisconsin or Georgia put up, triple digits is likely. We beat Wyoming by 3, 602 yards, 35 first downs. Yea it is a great scheme.

Yes but the same scheme held opponents to major lows in 2009 and 2010.

The scheme is not to blame...period.

So opponents have four years of film on it, and they've figured out how to defeat it. They adapted, and now it's up to Bo & Co. to adapt as well.

Football is a game of adjustments. From series to series, half to half, game to game and year to year. You cannot do the same thing over and over and expect it to always work.

I learned that a lot of people think they are better defensive football coaches than Bo Pelini. That, gentlemen, is absurd.

Don't see a single post here where someone is claiming to be a better DC than Bo Pelinin...just that his defenses aren't as great as we thought they were. I think Bo brought a lot of inovation to the league from the NFL...some ahead of the curve stuff. Now the rest of the coaches are catching up and Bo has shown an inability to take his game to the next level. Whether it's due to hiring underlings instead of proven people to be his coordinators (fresh perspective is not a bad thing) I don't know....don't claim to know. But his teams are consistently sloppy and that's a reflection on the coach. His teams take plays off and often don't play hard for 4 quarters...that's probably again the coach.

Again, doesn't take a proven DC to see the poor habits his players have had for 5 years. Habits that have cost us games many times...

I am saying that for 2012 and the Wyoming game Kevin Cosgrove is a better DC than Bo Pelini.

How many would have Wisconsin or Georgia put up, triple digits is likely. We beat Wyoming by 3, 602 yards, 35 first downs. Yea it is a great scheme.

So opponents have four years of film on it, and they've figured out how to defeat it. They adapted, and now it's up to Bo & Co. to adapt as well.

Football is a game of adjustments. From series to series, half to half, game to game and year to year. You cannot do the same thing over and over and expect it to always work.

Yes. The adjustments that were made on defense at halftime that only allowed Wyo to score only 7 points in 25 minutes of play in the 2nd half.2

It's also a game of momentum. It shifted when TMart threw the pick. Had he not, worst case scenario we kick a field goal. Kick off and they have no momentum and have 75 yards to go to score.

I learned that a lot of people think they are better defensive football coaches than Bo Pelini. That, gentlemen, is absurd.

Don't see a single post here where someone is claiming to be a better DC than Bo Pelinin...just that his defenses aren't as great as we thought they were. I think Bo brought a lot of inovation to the league from the NFL...some ahead of the curve stuff. Now the rest of the coaches are catching up and Bo has shown an inability to take his game to the next level. Whether it's due to hiring underlings instead of proven people to be his coordinators (fresh perspective is not a bad thing) I don't know....don't claim to know. But his teams are consistently sloppy and that's a reflection on the coach. His teams take plays off and often don't play hard for 4 quarters...that's probably again the coach.

Again, doesn't take a proven DC to see the poor habits his players have had for 5 years. Habits that have cost us games many times...

I am saying that for 2012 and the Wyoming game Kevin Cosgrove is a better DC than Bo Pelini.

I have now read it all on this board.

I am not a football coach, really have no idea of how to break down film. But I have watched the games, as all of you have. Most on here prior to the game gave Wyoming little to no chance, 60 points was the cry, lucky to get 14 points. 28 point spread. What is it that you see that has you believing /that we are improving. Last year it was the slowness of he line LB/DL. There players that were reshirted that were better setting on the sidelines. We would see vast improvement when they hit the field. Now we have seen those players. In honesty do you see a team that will surpass what the D did last year. Where is the evidence that it will happen.

As I see it, this defense has steadily gotten worse since the last of Clownahans recruits have played. Yes we were dominant in 2009-10, but we lost top NFL talent that has not been replaced. Or at least have not shown they are of that level.

Most on here want to believe it is here. Most have stated 11-12 wins this year. Do you still see that as vividly as you did prior to this game.

I never bought the subtraction is better idea, I honestly did not see evidence of it last night. First game, but these kids have played against one of the top offenses for a month, they should have some idea of what is going on, unless the staff did not prepare them for in game play. I know practice is not the same, but when you have the offensive talent we have, you would think they would have been slightly more ready than they appeared.

• Fire 2

Unfortunately this is how I imagine Bo sees it.

• Fire 1

From the psychology literature, from a psychology major--here's why I'm a firm believer that we could still be fielding a high caliber defense this year:

The learning curve. Initially, performance is low. But as the number of trials continue to increase, learning steeply increases and performance improves significantly until plateauing; where the number of reps doesn't significantly improve performance.

Applying that to our situation, we have a lot of players who played their first snaps at the collegiate level last night. It should have been no surprise that the product we were going to see wasn't going to be a very good or even average performance. But what we did see was the defensive line (VV and RG44) pushing their offensive line back, getting pressure on Brett Smith, forcing him to dance around (which not all QBs can do by the way) and throw the ball away, sometimes forcing the ball into a tight window. What we did see was the coverage making two interceptions and breaking up a handful of passes. What we did see was our safeties and corners being there on most of the passing plays.

Yes, we did see the silly mistakes, the missed tackles, the inability to get to the QB despite getting pressure on him, the linebackers failing to adjust to the motion. But we also saw a lot of good things, a lot of athletic plays, suggesting that the plateaus for these players are MUCH higher than the defense we had last year.

What needs to happen is for them to start making that jump, it will happen, just a matter of when--it might not be next week, it might not be by the end of the year. For the fan's and Bo's sake, I'm hoping it is before B1G play starts (we can beat So Miss and SDSU with our offense, and a loss to UCLA won't be the end of the world).

From the psychology literature, from a psychology major

Sorry bro', that's all I needed to read. Nothing personal. :moreinteresting

Ok, scratch that, bring in Freud, Skinner, Pavlov, Pavlov's dog, Jung, Old, Ed Bernays, Bueller, anybody, I don't give a crap, but make this team play better dagnabbit!

Why? It's a highly applicable concept because we know our defense is young.

Exactly, I'm sure the scheme had a good part with the defensive performance of last night.

Good coaches constantly revolutionize their scheme--they don't completely scrap it; but they change it, make it different. I hope Bo looks at the pieces in play and realizes that he needs to make a change soon.

Another positive I haven't seen mentioned: the running back time share.

It was refreshing to see us use all 3 RBs sensibly. Except for not giving Imani the ball on 4th and 1. He was probably being "punished" for running out of bounds and stopping the clock, but the QB sneak with a one-armed QB was outrageous.

And so much for the 6 yard QB sneak. :lol:

• Fire 1

Nebraska seems to only make adjustments when they're behind. Why is that? In the 2nd half of games is where this coaching staff seems to get torn to shreds, because they understand what happened in the 1st half, and THEN they make changes. It doesn't seem to click with Nebraska with a lead. Just because you have a lead doesn't mean you sit on cruise control and think that what you're doing is going to work the entire game. That Taylor INT epitomizes that IMO. There's a time for everything, and the watch that Bo and Co. is looking at seems to be broken quite too often.

And what I learned: If I never have to see that hail mary play again at the end with our d-line running around like keystone cops, basically a microcosm of their effort of the day, it'll be too soon.

Nebraska seems to only make adjustments when they're behind. Why is that? In the 2nd half of games is where this coaching staff seems to get torn to shreds, because they understand what happened in the 1st half, and THEN they make changes. It doesn't seem to click with Nebraska with a lead. Just because you have a lead doesn't mean you sit on cruise control and think that what you're doing is going to work the entire game. That Taylor INT epitomizes that IMO. There's a time for everything, and the watch that Bo and Co. is looking at seems to be broken quite too often.

And what I learned: If I never have to see that hail mary play again at the end with our d-line running around like keystone cops, basically a microcosm of their effort of the day, it'll be too soon.

So giving up only 7 points in the first 24 minutes of the second half is getting torn to shreads? You realize that is the case right? They didn't score any points in the second half until 2 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and then with around 5 minutes left in the game. You realize there had to have been some sort of a decent adjustment to keep them out of the endzone that long right?