De'Mornay Pierson-El

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen 16m16 minutes ago

In six games, DeMornay Pierson-El nearly has as many punt return yards (334) as Neb had the last two seasons combined (340).

So how do we fire Ross Els now?
read somewhere that Bo is coaching special teams now
So he is coaching special teams AND calling defensive plays on the sidelines?

It seems to me we have 2 coaches on the payroll that shouldn't be

• Fire 1

Dan Hoppen@danhoppen 16m16 minutes ago

In six games, DeMornay Pierson-El nearly has as many punt return yards (334) as Neb had the last two seasons combined (340).

So how do we fire Ross Els now?
read somewhere that Bo is coaching special teams now
So he is coaching special teams AND calling defensive plays on the sidelines?

It seems to me we have 2 coaches on the payroll that shouldn't be

We have dead weight on our staff. Barney Els and Pap could be on vacation and you wouldn't know the difference

• Fire 1

He was in WR at the end and ran into Hovey which caused the INT. He also got a carry on an end-around which lost 5 yards.

I love his return abilities but it doesn't make him automatically a guy who should see more time in the regular offense.

Couldn't disagree more. He's got big play ability and has clearly shown that he can catch too. Especially with the injuries we have at that position. Get this guy in space and watch out. Until he proves us wrong how could you not call his number more.

If this wasn't time stamped I would have swore you were talking about Jamal Turner four years ago.

Turner has been a huge disappointment.

I honestly think one of the major reasons why he has been successful over someone like Bell is because he is young, over confident and hasn't been here the last 2-3 years when people have been dropping a lot of punts.

Look at the MSU punt return and tell me why Bell, if he catches the ball with confidence, can't make the same play. He didn't make an amazing juke to make a tackler miss. The punt return was set up well with blocking (thanks Randy). He ran the blocking lanes well which Bell does well after catching passes. And, he has speed which Bell has.

What he doesn't have but Bell does, is the thought in his mind of...."oh crap, I hope I don't drop this ball".

• Fire 1

I honestly think one of the major reasons why he has been successful over someone like Bell is because he is young, over confident and hasn't been here the last 2-3 years when people have been dropping a lot of punts.

Look at the MSU punt return and tell me why Bell, if he catches the ball with confidence, can't make the same play. He didn't make an amazing juke to make a tackler miss. The punt return was set up well with blocking (thanks Randy). He ran the blocking lanes well which Bell does well after catching passes. And, he has speed which Bell has.

What he doesn't have but Bell does, is the thought in his mind of...."oh crap, I hope I don't drop this ball".

because Bell doesn't catch that ball with confidence. Returning punts is completely different than returning kicks. It is absolutely the hardest thing to do in ST. DeJuan Groce is the last good punt returner that NU has had before DPE. Really good punt returners are hard to find.

I remember a punt returner back in the early 80's for NU his name was Dave Lidel he was like a 3rd string cornerback but #1 punt returner for like 2 years. He was fearless and pretty good. You never know who is going to be a good punt returner.

• Fire 1

because Bell doesn't catch that ball with confidence. Returning punts is completely different than returning kicks. It is absolutely the hardest thing to do in ST. DeJuan Groce is the last good punt returner that NU has had before DPE. Really good punt returners are hard to find.

I remember a punt returner back in the early 80's for NU his name was Dave Lidel he was like a 3rd string cornerback but #1 punt returner for like 2 years. He was fearless and pretty good. You never know who is going to be a good punt returner.

That's my point.

In just a few months on campus, De’Mornay Pierson-El has completely flipped NU’s punt returns. His story (FREE): https://nebraska.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1692759

The return doesn't start as De'Mornay Pierson-El prefers it, but he doesn't have a choice.

Mike Sadler's punt comes in low and to his right, and Pierson-El doesn't get a chance to set his feet and start his forward momentum as he prefers. But just minutes before, he had implored defensive leaders Corey Cooper and Josh Mitchell, players five years his senior, to force Michigan State into a three and out.
If they did that, he promised, he would take the ensuing punt to the house.
Down 27-16 with less than four minutes remaining in East Lansing, the defense did its job. Now the ball is in Pierson-El's hands along the right sideline, just short of his own 40-yard line. He quickly accelerates forward, leaving six overanxious defenders in his dust by the time he reaches midfield. Pierson-El's speed renders three more Spartans helpless, and Courtney Love takes care of the last legitimate threat with a strong block. All that's left is the punter.
And poor Sadler doesn't stand a chance.
  • Fire 2