#16 in Both Polls

I always thought 8 was perfect as well. A legit argument could be made for any top 8 team right now to beat any other. Plus, like Sdsker said, you get to give conference champs auto bids. This is a big deal to me. If you want something settled on the field, conference champs are where you start. Win your division gets you to the CCG. Winning the CCG gets you to the national playoffs. It also allows for that urgency and importance of the regular season to remain intact. Cuz every conference game becomes important. Unless it's two teams already out of the race, of which of course, it's no less relevant than in the current system.

Plus you get more than 8 teams, and now youre getting into that possibility of more than 3 games throughout. And I think thats an issue as well.

I don't see anything wrong with 24 teams, like the FCS uses. All the arguments against it fall away when you see that it's already being done in every other division of football. Get rid of the beauty pageant and politicking and settle it on the field.

Every other division has a larger number of competitive teams.

D1 is unique because of the disparity between an Alabama and a Troy. If you're looking at power conferences, that's only about 60 teams (give or take a few sh**ty ones but then replace them with a few good non-power schools) so you want to have almost half of the "BCS" schools in the playoff?

That's dumb.

Agreed. I think eight is the magic number.

Of course, a few years from now we'll have eight. Then it'll be such a success they'll expand it to 12, or maybe 16, and screw up the whole thing.

Or go to 12 or 16, include wild-card play (read: play-in games on seeded teams' home field), and we could get SEC teams to visit Lincoln in December. :)

FCS currently has a 24-team playoff (which is way too much for FBS). 11 conference champions and 13 at-large. The teams are seeded, but matched up based on geographical regions to reduce travel time. They could easily do that for an 8-team playoff for FBS; 5 power conference champs and 3 at-large (but then we'd have 4 $E¢ teams in there :P )

Like I said, you could make a pretty good arguement for anything in the top 8-10. You get outside of that, and I dont see teams rated 13, 14 and so on deserving a shot at a national championship. it would jsut add a pretty irrelevant round to the playoff, and I believe that is the point that we would start to see regular season importance sharply diminish.

One thing about being in our position in the polls, it makes a lot of games interesting and gives us real cheering motives in those games. When we were always ranked #1 or #2, only one game per week really mattered. Now, 7 - 10 games really matter each week.

Just win baby, and pull for the right teams to win/lose in those other games and we move one step closer each week. But we've gotta win.