***** What did we learn - Rutgers Edition *****

I hate the DB technique to not look for the ball...we get burned on that and exceptional teams and WR's will just kill us on that. Get rid of that technique yesterday as it is garbage at every level.

Some of the best defenses in the country teach the same technique, including Narduzzi at MSU.

Nice timing...watching Michigan v Michigan State, just now MSU goes for a pick 6. DB clearly looking back at the QB to know where the ball is. Perfect.

Edit: ABC just showed it on a replay of the entire field. All 7 MSU players in coverage have their eyes on the QB. That is how you do it.

Have you been watching the entire game? Earlier there was one on one coverage on a deep route and they talked about the CB coverage and defensive philosophy MSU teaches playing the hands.

• Fire 2

I hate the DB technique to not look for the ball...we get burned on that and exceptional teams and WR's will just kill us on that. Get rid of that technique yesterday as it is garbage at every level.

Some of the best defenses in the country teach the same technique, including Narduzzi at MSU.

Nice timing...watching Michigan v Michigan State, just now MSU goes for a pick 6. DB clearly looking back at the QB to know where the ball is. Perfect.

Edit: ABC just showed it on a replay of the entire field. All 7 MSU players in coverage have their eyes on the QB. That is how you do it.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Go coach then, go run zone coverage the entire game all season long, and please report back to me after you go 2-10.

Every defense runs both coverages. Some lean more to one than the other but you can't just run one technique the WHOLE time.

One the other hand, just now a Michigan player looked back for the ball, and got beat for the touchdown.

Have you been watching the entire game? Earlier there was one on one coverage on a deep route and they talked about the CB coverage and defensive philosophy MSU teaches playing the hands.
Nothing wrong with a little hand play.
  • Fire 1

One the other hand, just now a Michigan player looked back for the ball, and got beat for the touchdown.

wrong...LOL. I have the game on delay. Michigan DB just got burned running behind the WR, looking at the WR, and not at the QB. This is the same way NU plays it at times and it is poor technique.

I learned that Gregory can get double and triple teamed, held and pulled to the ground, get laid on for severe seconds, get up and still get the sack. He's very good now, but at the next level with equal talent on the DL, I really think he will excel. He is "slowed" now as he is constantly double and triple teamed. The NFL won't have that luxury.....

• Fire 1

Went to my first game of the year and loved every second of it. Crowd seemed pretty juiced for the most part.

It is human nature that makes it easier to be critical than complimentary. Hence the criticism. Get over it.

Da f*** was Mitchell thinking on that lateral? And then his response on Twitter afterwards was absolutely SPECIAL. Overall, definitely a game to forget for him.

Defense generally gets killed by little mistakes, sloppy play. Almost all of Rutgers long drives today featured a busted coverage or missed assignment. If we ever tightened up those mistakes, we'd be damn near immovable.

The Count gets it. We're all happy we won today. It was generally a very well played win on our part. We nitpick because we're going to need a better called, cleaner game against BETTER TEAMS down the road. As in, the CCG. We're going to need a dang-near perfect called game to win games of that caliber against our highest caliber opponents.

The fact remains.... we could be an unquestioned top 10 offense that could move the ball on ANYONE (i.e., not shut down against good defenses) if he could just get his QB some coaching.

• Fire 1

Alonso Moore is trash. Dropped so many balls today. I saw him get into a car last night before the game around 11:30 pm outside of Knoll too..

You were drunk then. The team has team activities on Friday nights and they stay in a hotel under curfew.
  • Fire 3

What I learned:

Games are better in person than on tv.

Ameer Abdullah is back! (Wondering how much wet grass affected the last two games...)

Several snap problems again today- I don't like it. Is it the center, the QB, what? I did see Pelini get punched in the throat by the DL when I was watching him closely after one bad snap, so maybe being preoccupied with getting punched in the throat was affecting the snap. ???

Kenny Bell is a stud. I don't care how much some "fans" grumble at him to get off the lawn, he can come trample our lawn any time he wants.

Kevin Williams rotated with VV a lot, I think even Williams started.

Givens Price came out in sweats and wasn't available for playing.

They did a bit on the Huskervision thing with the players: if you were trapped on a desert island, which three people (players) would you want with you. One player- I think it was Sam Cotton- said he would take three offensive linemen in case they started running low on food. :D

It's hot in the sun, even in late October.

Minnesota was a pretender. Looking like Mississippi State is more hype than substance, too. No real surprise with either.

I've learned that no matter the final outcome of the game (which is what matters). The process of how we get there, if it isn't perfect, then all hell breaks loose and we're gunna drop 3 of our last 4.

I think that's what I learned from the board today.

From the game, I learned that we won another game, we're 7-1, and have another week to improve before playing Purdue. Who is better than a lot of people give them credit for.

This is simply not true. You are the one exaggerating here. I'm not satisfied with sloppy playcalling, an obvious lack of an offensive gameplan or identity when it's apparent who the offense needs to revolve around, and players calling it a day in the FIRST half of a football game.

Point out the posts that claim that the team made ONE mistake (cause that would be an imperfect game) and now we are doomed to lose 3 of our last 4.

They don't exist. You're stirring up $hit and it gets old.

This argument happens almost every week and it boils down to this. The team will never be perfect and some of us want to focus on all the positive, some focus on all the negative but most of us have no issue discussing both. The difference is the posters that start this bickering are the ones that don't want to hear anything bad about the team and I can't for the life of me understand how these people get anywhere in life living in their fantasy land of peaches and cream.

I mean you go out of your way to make post after post about the attitude of other posters and it's borderline trollish behavior. It's over the top sarcasm and exaggeration. It's rude and damn it it's not proper internet etiquette.

• Fire 3

I think it's amusing, the fans that tell other fans they can't be satisfied or unsatisfied. I'll be any damn thing I want to be. And overall today I am satisfied. Why? Because we won and showed plenty bright spots throughout the game. My feeling this way is a direct result of having lowered my expectations after (during) the MSU game. My gut tells me this team will screw up 1 or 2 more games this regular season, so from here on out, every win is reason to be happy. To tell the truth, I'd rather be expecting excellence but I think that is too much to ask of this staff. They are at the top of their ability eeking out wins against unranked teams. The pumpers have convinced me, expecting more is unreasonable.

So are you thinking for yourself and being who you want to be or are you letting people convince you? I'm confused?

You're confused? How do you think I feel? I'm supposed to be happy because we beat a terrible Rutgers team even though I saw all kinds of crap from our team that would get their assets beat by any team with a pulse. It is confusing because I have to basically lie to my common sense to think this team is going anywhere and there are people who are adamant about standing up for the mediocrity. I think I've just given up. I can't give enough squirts to even get riled up about it anymore.

I feel sorry for you that your emotional well being hinges on football. Or at least thats what it looks like. More power to ya though. Have a nice rest of your day being upset.

I'm not upset at all. Not sure why you think I am. We won the game, I'm glad for that. We played well at certain in some situations, I'm happy for that. We played poorly and lackluster at other times and that concerns me greatly if it occurs in future games and causes to lose what should be a cakewalk to the ccg. My emotional well being doesn't hinge on this team one iota Mr. Highhorse. If it did, I woulda slashed my wrists a long time ago. I do wish I cared as much as I used to but I just can't get that invested in them anymore. Been let down too many times. I'm just waiting for the let down to come all the while hoping it doesn't. Ah the life of a Husker fan these past 15 years.

I learned that Gregory can get double and triple teamed, held and pulled to the ground, get laid on for severe seconds, get up and still get the sack. He's very good now, but at the next level with equal talent on the DL, I really think he will excel. He is "slowed" now as he is constantly double and triple teamed. The NFL won't have that luxury.....

One thing he will need to work on is setting the edge. NFL coaches won't want him just crashing in as much as he does.

Beck hatred is hilarious.

Ameer is unbelievable.

DPL has me on edge of seat every punt.

Add up how many times he's been given a short field and come away with 0 points, then tell me how hilarious it is.

Beck likes to throw deep the first play after a turnover. Sometimes it works, sometimes it is 2nd and 10. I prefer to pound the ball with a short field.

If Moore had caught that pass after Gerry's int it would have been a sure TD. Instead it hits him in the hands and falls to the ground. It was a great play call by Beck. Just poorly executed.

And please remember that we tried pounding the ball with a short field in the 3rd or 4th and had a quick 3 and out, afterwards Rutgers immediately scored a TD.

Beck better get it figured out, because blowing 3 short fields against MSU is exactly what caused us the game, and he had at least 2 more short fields today with 0 points in return. When the defense or special teams give you good field position, you have to make it hurt. That takes wind out of an opponents sails faster than anything else.