Why Can't Nebraska Perform Like "X" School?

Landlord

Why can't Nebraska perform like "X" school?

Let's look at some common opponents and what some other teams have done against them.

NU 55 FAU 7

FIU 38 FAU 10

UAB 31 FAU 28

Marshall 35 FAU 16

NU 31 McNeese 24

Sam Houston 38 McN 22

NU 55 Fresno 19

Wyoming 45 Fresno 17

UNLV 30 Fresno 27

NU 38 NW 17

Iowa 48 NW 7

No Illinois 23 NW 15

NU 42 Rutgers 24

Wiscy 37 RU 0

tOSU 56 RU 17

There's more and I realize the inherent flaws in comparing scores but, some people act like they can't understand why some of us aren't impressed with some of our wins. This is why. We aren't doing anything that many unranked, un thought of teams, aren't doing to the same crap opponents. We've played two teams with a heartbeat, Miami and MSU. We came ready to play against Miami, so I know we are capable and that is why all these other games are so frustrating. It's not just doom and gloom and complain for complainings sake. It's relevant because I don't think we can play this poorly and beat Wiscy or Iowa or Minny or the CCG or our bowl game. Sorry, I see 3 losses in there somewhere and then we're right back to the question; what has really changed?

Eh. Idk. I think most posters understand why many aren't impressed. I just think you hit it on the head without realizing it that there posters on here, some of them quite respected, who seem to now preach a doom and gloom that many also don't quite see. I think it is just human nature to create a false dichotomy. From a purely utilitarian approach, one must remember that we are still 8-1, and that perception is still key. 35-14, even the ugliest 21 point win in the history of 21 point wins (seriously, it feels like we lost today, maybe in some ways, we did) is still an impressive enough win to keep us right where we were to start the day: right at #15 in the playoff rankings with a chance to win the Big Ten Title, which would help recruiting, which would continue to increase the talent/athleticism gap that we saw today between Nebraska and Purdue, which further helps us to win these kind of games: where we are clearly the better team and we win despite ugly, ugly play. So win posters heap only praises and never honest criticisms, or conversely preach only doom and gloom, we have a tendency to lash out at aforementioned poster.

Some of us are just honestly not sure if losing our minds/sounding like brownie-gun holes on the internet is really going to help this team win inherently meaningless sports games, when in reality, were all just watching for entertainment value anyway.

• Fire 3

Polo pooping up even more threads with his inability to understand definitions properly.

As I go through some of these threads it occurs to me that Nebraska lost today, and some are glad. If NU goes 11 and 1 these Nostradami will bitch about losing the one game.

Broken. Record.

I'm usually very pessimistic but if Nebraska goes 11-1 even I would be thrilled

Polo pooping up even more threads with his inability to understand definitions properly.

As I go through some of these threads it occurs to me that Nebraska lost today, and some are glad. If NU goes 11 and 1 these Nostradami will bitch about losing the one game.

Broken. Record.

I'm usually very pessimistic but if Nebraska goes 11-1 even I would be thrilled

With 0 wins against top 25

Excellent post landlord.

I agree with you , we are doing quite well and are quite comparative with other teams in the nation.

I don't understand the doom and gloom that hangs over this board. WE are 8-1 and control our destiny and will be ranked in the top 15 after the next polls come out. Yes we can definitely improve, but we are in the position to make a huge run this year.

In years past we probably lose to Northwestern and possibly even Purdue, this year we won those games comfortably. I'm just really positive about this year.

I mean, anytime you'd like to battle wits kimosabe.....

The immortal words of Twisted Sister.

"Oh, you're so condescending

Your goal is never ending

We don't want nothing, not a thing, from you

Your life is trite and jaded

Boring and confiscated

If that's your best, your best won't do"

Your game game is old and boring polo.

• Fire 5

Good post notherplace93. The biggest problem would appear to be this message board medium and posters who want their point of view acknowledged. When that acknowledgement doesn't come and posters instead push their view (pumper or nellie) then it just escalates and exacerbates.

• Fire 1

I just looked at last weeks top ten. There are 3 teams without a signature win this year. Mich St, Georgia and Notre Dame. ND beat Stanford when they were ranked #14 but are unranked now. Georgia beat Clemson early but lost to S Caro and now Fla yesterday, both currently unranked. MSU was taken down by Oregon early at beat us at home. Time will tell whether that becomes a signature win for them. Fla St is undefeated but hasn't played a complete game. They barely beat the same Clemson team that Georgia barely beat. They had considerable trouble with ND who I am arguing isn't head and shoulders above Nebraska. We beat Purdue worse than ND did. Pick your poison this year. Few teams are playing dominating football. Many have issues that crop up weekly.

It would be a great year to be a great football team but we aren't there yet....and neither are many other teams thought to be powers in college football.

• Fire 4

Why can't Nebraska perform like "X" school?

Let's look at some common opponents and what some other teams have done against them.

NU 55 FAU 7

FIU 38 FAU 10

UAB 31 FAU 28

Marshall 35 FAU 16

NU 31 McNeese 24

Sam Houston 38 McN 22

NU 55 Fresno 19

Wyoming 45 Fresno 17

UNLV 30 Fresno 27

NU 38 NW 17

Iowa 48 NW 7

No Illinois 23 NW 15

NU 42 Rutgers 24

Wiscy 37 RU 0

tOSU 56 RU 17

There's more and I realize the inherent flaws in comparing scores but, some people act like they can't understand why some of us aren't impressed with some of our wins. This is why. We aren't doing anything that many unranked, un thought of teams, aren't doing to the same crap opponents. We've played two teams with a heartbeat, Miami and MSU. We came ready to play against Miami, so I know we are capable and that is why all these other games are so frustrating. It's not just doom and gloom and complain for complainings sake. It's relevant because I don't think we can play this poorly and beat Wiscy or Iowa or Minny or the CCG or our bowl game. Sorry, I see 3 losses in there somewhere and then we're right back to the question; what has really changed?

Fun fun.

MSU 45 Purdue 31

NU 35 Purdue 14

NU 55 FAU 7

Ala"freakin'bama 41 FAU 0

• Fire 1

I just looked at last weeks top ten. There are 3 teams without a signature win this year. Mich St, Georgia and Notre Dame. ND beat Stanford when they were ranked #14 but are unranked now. Georgia beat Clemson early but lost to S Caro and now Fla yesterday, both currently unranked. MSU was taken down by Oregon early at beat us at home. Time will tell whether that becomes a signature win for them. Fla St is undefeated but hasn't played a complete game. They barely beat the same Clemson team that Georgia barely beat. They had considerable trouble with ND who I am arguing isn't head and shoulders above Nebraska. We beat Purdue worse than ND did. Pick your poison this year. Few teams are playing dominating football. Many have issues that crop up weekly.

It would be a great year to be a great football team but we aren't there yet....and neither are many other teams thought to be powers in college football.

This sums it up for me...There isn't a team right now that really scares me and I think we could play with anyone.

Sorry, I see 3 losses in there somewhere and then we're right back to the question; what has really changed?

You may end up being right. But let's play 'em first before we chalk up the L.

Exactly this. Have we played a difficult schedule? No, not really. But the amount of people here (seems like 90+%) claiming we are not good and have no chance in 2 weeks in Mad town and can't succeed, etc is honestly insane.

Did we play well against Purdue? No.

Guess what - we still won by 3 TD's.

Did we play well against Rutgers? No.

Guess what - we still won by 18.

Did we play well against Sparty? No.

Guess what - we only lost by 5 and had a very good chance to win - one dropped pass away from a victory, on the road, at night, against a top 10 team. The announcers praised our effort all night.

This team is good. When we are clicking, we can hang with probably just about anyone. The open question is, can we start to put at least a 3 quarter game together (because, heads up, there are hardly any teams in CFB history who consistently play 4 strong quarters - hell, Osborne's first national championship team played one good quarter).

If we can string some good plays, possessions, and quarters together, we can definitely win out.

No reason to be optimistic? We're 8-1. We have done this once in the last 11 years. Previous Pelini teams would have dropped a game against McNeese, Rutgers, or Purdue, and usually would've laid down and died against Sparty.

This season is not over, Beck is not a complete idiot, and we can still win the B1G, and even the Nat'l Champ. Let's not give up, or give into pessimism, just yet.

• Fire 2

Well i guess. Its ok that we play like garbage for at the very least a half of every game, week in and week out, year after year. And that its so evil to make the simple and accurate proclamation that playing this way will result in losses in 2 if not all the final 3 regular season games.

It's not accurate, it's an opinion, yes, that opinion may come true, but we don't know that yet. Iowa's been bi-polar, I'm not sold on Minnesota, and Wisky is one dimensional and with our secondary they aren't going to throw it all over the field on us. Tackle soundly and you can wrap Gordon up, he's not unstoppable for crying out loud. Our rush defense has played well these past few games and statue QB's don't do well with our defense. Look at the completion percentage for proof.