***Official Head Coaching Search Discussion***

iamanewby

Bohl obviously has much more experience now than he had then. He's an excellent coach, I just worry about recruiting because he's not a "name."

I love the thoughts on Frost, but he's too young and inexperienced for the job. He'll also have incredible amounts of pressure on him because he is Nebraska's golden boy. He needs more seasoning before he goes to UNL.

Sometimes it's not just about recruiting but also about evaluating talent & developing players. I think Craig Bohl & his staff from NDSU and Wyoming have shown they have these skills, especially reviewing, evaluating, and developing talent that is in the Midwest.

I have said in other threads that maybe...just maybe...we hire Craig Bohl as our head coach, and he brings in Scott Frost as his Offensive Coordinator / Head Coach-in-Waiting

I don't see that happening because Bohl is still a young guy.

For the record Craig Bohl is 56.

Bob Devaney was 57 when he turned the keys over to Tom Osborne who was 36 when he became head coach.

56 is still young and Devaney had his eyes on the AD job. I think it's McElwain.

If that's true than the Athletic Department is certainly opening up the checkbook. Because Bo's buyout was at least 7 million, and McElwain's buyout I think is also 7 million.

Another candidate that Fox Sports is reporting as a possibility is Air Force's Troy Calhoun. He would certainly bring option football back.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/nebraska-bo-pelini-fired-cornhuskers-next-coach-candidates-113014

Another sitting head coach who would look like a good style fit is Air Force's Troy Calhoun, who is 48 and riding a very strong season where his team is 9-3 and just beat Colorado State. He's actually a lot more than just a triple-option guy, too, having been an NFL coordinator. He's also taking Air Force to its seventh bowl in eight seasons. That is a very impressive accomplishment.

Troy lived up the road from me growing up. Maybe I can get some good tickets.

I get so tired of hiring or people who think the OC or DC at a powerhouse like Alabama or wherever should be the next coach somewhere else. Think about it, Pelini was from Nebraska, OU and LSU. He is/was Kirby Smart. How many times does it work out when you hire someone elses OC/DC? It will work for a season or two, but never has long term benefits. I shouldn't say never but its hard. Its easier to recruit to Alabama or Florida St or whom ever if your head coach is Saban, Fischer, or whomever. Think about it. Just becasue your coaching at Alabama doesn't mean you can at Nebraska. Just because he is a good x and o guy at Alabama, it might not translate in recruiting and coaching at another D -1 school.

So tired of that mentality. Thats what got Nebraska into this shape. Did Bo do more than Callahan, Yes. Did he recruit better, NO. Was both an upgrade over Frank, I would say yes to a certain point. These guys were coordinators. Callahan was nothing more than an overhyped coordinator along with Bo and actually Frank. Frank knew one thing and that was option, I formation. Lets get someone with there own identity for a change.

BY that same logic, just because someone was a good head coach at a different school doesn't mean he will be at Nebraska. There's always uncertainty in any hire. Is there more or less if you hire a head coach from a smaller or lesser school than Nebraska than if you hire an experienced coordinator from a power school? I would argue that it's probably a wash. But completely ruling out anyone without head coaching experience makes as little sense to me as insisting that all prospective candidates have Nebraska ties. Both rule out guys who could easily be the best fit for the position and a true home run hire.

I think they have their guy and I think they're being coy because he just coached a game this weekend and is probably still alive for a bowl game. Just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing concrete :).

Okay, color me intrigued. However, what are the rules in college with talking to coaches while the season is still in play? Is it permission based?

Those wanting Tressel should consider that he did well at a school in the middle of a hotbed of recruits.

IMO we need someone who's proven they can do well in a recruiting wasteland like Nebraska.

But you should also remember that he has a name and record that can attract recruits.

I think they have their guy and I think they're being coy because he just coached a game this weekend and is probably still alive for a bowl game. Just a gut feeling based on absolutely nothing concrete :).

Are you Sharpe or Benning? They just clearly said this on the radio too..and I tend to think that is correct. So who does that point to? >>>> Frost....Richt.....Did Co State play this weekend?