I think we're f*cked...

And the OP has awaken from his 16 year long coma.

Thanks for showin' up...

We've been lost without your valuable input..

I come and go. Is it normal to bump into the same people into different threads or... am I being followed? I feel strange. I must sign out.

I don't know, but just keep doing what you're doing...

And I do mean, proper f*cked...

I know that plenty of people we're pissed with Bo, and I understand that. If you wanted Bo gone, you had your reasons, and that's fine.

But here's the problem, who are they going to hire next?

There isn't one realistic candidate that everyone is saying, "oh yeah, he's the guy". When the program was freed from the Clownahan debacle, it was pretty obvious the choice was Bo. He'd been here a year, was well liked and almost everyone was excited with the hiring. The kool aid was flowing freely, and after the first year, there was a glimmer of hope that our program was heading in the right direction.

Now he's gone. Personally, I think you should have let the DC and OC go. You go after a DC and OC that TO assists in the search for, and you impress upon Bo that he's got a short time frame to get things back on track, or else.

There are a bunch of guys at lower level programs whose names will be thrown out there, and I bet they sound great on paper, but will they be able to do the job? As for Tressel, why would you want him here, because he's like sleeping with a smoking hot girl, you know has a horrific STD. There's the laundry list of the unrealistic choices, which I"m not going to go over, because there's no real chance of any of them coming here.

You're only real choice, is Scott Frost? I think he's got potential, but he's not run a D-1 program yet, and that worries me.

Hence, I think we're f*cked and I have little faith in Eichorst making the right call to run this program...

I have to ask, why in the world does Tom Osborne need to assist in a coaching search of any kind?

This is the Athletic Directors job.

So you'd take Eichorst at his word, when TO's probably forgotten more about football than SE can remember...

Part of Eichorst's job as AD is the hiring, evaluation and firing of coaches. Name one other University other than Nebraska where former coaches help with coaching searches.

And let's not forget that Tom Osborne picked both No Pelini and Frank Solich as head coaches. We can see how well both of those choices worked out.

So again, why does TO need to help with a coaching search?

Ira, Guy, solid points on both...

I've never really considered myself a "Boliever", but just worried that if today came, that we wouldn't be able to hire a suitable replacement. And in my eyes, Tressel isn't that. I know he's been to NC game, and has a great record, but the fact that he was let go from his last job due to NCAA infractions doesn't worry anyone?

When fans want a championship so bad, they are willing to look past all the infractions. Just adopting the beliefs of most other teams in college football.

NO!!! NO!!! NO!! That is not what Nebraska is about. We've always ran a clean program. We don't have to reduce ourselves to their level. Tressel is not a good choice. He has too much baggage.

I know that plenty of people we're pissed with Bo, and I understand that. If you wanted Bo gone, you had your reasons, and that's fine.

There isn't one realistic candidate that everyone is saying, "oh yeah, he's the guy". When the program was freed from the Clownahan debacle, it was pretty obvious the choice was Bo. He'd been here a year, was well liked and almost everyone was excited with the hiring. The kool aid was flowing freely, and after the first year, there was a glimmer of hope that our program was heading in the right direction.

Now he's gone. Personally, I think you should have let the DC and OC go. You go after a DC and OC that TO assists in the search for, and you impress upon Bo that he's got a short time frame to get things back on track, or else.

There are a bunch of guys at lower level programs whose names will be thrown out there, and I bet they sound great on paper, but will they be able to do the job? As for Tressel, why would you want him here, because he's like sleeping with a smoking hot girl, you know has a horrific STD. There's the laundry list of the unrealistic choices, which I"m not going to go over, because there's no real chance of any of them coming here.

You're only real choice, is Scott Frost? I think he's got potential, but he's not run a D-1 program yet, and that worries me.

Hence, I think we're f*cked and I have little faith in Eichorst making the right call to run this program...

I have to ask, why in the world does Tom Osborne need to assist in a coaching search of any kind?

So you'd take Eichorst at his word, when TO's probably forgotten more about football than SE can remember...

Part of Eichorst's job as AD is the hiring, evaluation and firing of coaches. Name one other University other than Nebraska where former coaches help with coaching searches.

And let's not forget that Tom Osborne picked both No Pelini and Frank Solich as head coaches. We can see how well both of those choices worked out.

If I think about it, makes total sense. TO has the booster's ears, is well respected, can galvanize support from the $$ folks, and SE just fired TO's hire. If SE wants to own this decision, TO is the one guy to keep in the loop. By doing so, TO will feel the dept. is in goods hands and will be the voice of reason with the boosters. Management 101, imo.

I say all this as someone who competely agrees with OP. I have NO confidence SE will get this right and I think we are screwed. Unfortunately, I think SE is handling TO very adeptly - keep TO more involved than others but keep most critical info to himself (SE).

If I think about it, makes total sense. TO has the booster's ears, is well respected, can galvanize support from the $$ folks, and SE just fired TO's hire. If SE wants to own this decision, TO is the one guy to keep in the loop. By doing so, TO will feel the dept. is in goods hands and will be the voice of reason with the boosters. Management 101, imo.

I say all this as someone who competely agrees with OP. I have NO confidence SE will get this right and I think we are screwed. Unfortunately, I think SE is handling TO very adeptly - keep TO more involved than others but keep most critical info to himself (SE).

Except, Osborne has made two pretty bad choices for HC in the past, that doesn't speak well for any choice Osborne may make in the future.

Osborne is no longer employed by the university in any fashion so why should he get ANY say in what the University does or doesn't do?

Shawn Eichorst already owns the decision to fire Pelini and he will own the decision when he hires a new coach. If we can't trust our AD with hiring decisions then why is he on the University's payroll? Another huge part of the AD's job is dealing boosters. How about we let him do his job w/o putting undo constraints on that job? You know, like having a former employee determine who we hire now.

Someday Osborne will no longer be with us, what then? Will you be calling for his return from the grave every time a decision needs to be made in the athletic department? Osborne is retired, how about we let him stay retired and stop living in the past?

I was on the "we're making a huge mistake" boat when I heard the news.

The only reason I was, was because of the wish list some of you yahoos had. Yes, (some of) you guys are yahoos... On that list were coaches no better than Bo. One of them was a coach for the Rajin' Cajuns? A dude who won 9 games at the most... Come on...

I hear a lot of people saying other names too. And following it up with "they ALMOST beat (name big team)!"

My answer is, ALMOST doesn't cut it anymore. Bo ALMOST won 2 conference championships against teams that were better than us at the time. Bo ALMOST went 11-1 this year.

I have calmed down on the "huge mistake" stuff. But I hope Shawn Eichorst looks for something great. Why? ALMOST doesn't cut it anymore. We aren't looking for ALMOST. Atleast I am not.

Bo was an ALMOST guy as our HC. And despite all the negative spin you can have on Bo, Bo is a good coach. He will go on and win a championship somewhere else. It's going to happen. However, Bo was not and is not the right coach for Nebraska. Winning 9 games is not easy. Look at Florida. Look at Michigan. Heck, look at us before Bo.

Is this the right decision though?

I don't know yet. I'll have that answer when we find out what this next coach does.

• Fire 1

I don't really want TO involved at all in the coaching search. Most have forgot that $ Byrne was ready to offer Bob Stoops the job after the 97' season when TO pulled rank and got Solich the job. Look at what direction this sent the program. It's also difficult to overlook his short list of Gill, Grobe, and Pelini before Bo got the job after the 07' season. We're f*cked if TO is involved in any way, shape, or form!

• Fire 2

The longer the search goes on the more I will agree with the OP's statement. The way SE handled it makes me think he either has a coach in mind and will do whatever it takes to get him or he already had multiple conversations with multiple coaches and serious interest was expressed. If we go 2-3 weeks and hear nothing, I'll be very worried. You can also wave the recruiting class goodbye.

• Fire 1

Except, Osborne has made two pretty bad choices for HC in the past, that doesn't speak well for any choice Osborne may make in the future.

Osborne is no longer employed by the university in any fashion so why should he get ANY say in what the University does or doesn't do?

Shawn Eichorst already owns the decision to fire Pelini and he will own the decision when he hires a new coach. If we can't trust our AD with hiring decisions then why is he on the University's payroll? Another huge part of the AD's job is dealing boosters. How about we let him do his job w/o putting undo constraints on that job? You know, like having a former employee determine who we hire now.

Someday Osborne will no longer be with us, what then? Will you be calling for his return from the grave every time a decision needs to be made in the athletic department? Osborne is retired, how about we let him stay retired and stop living in the past?

So, you're perfectly ok with Eichorst driving this program into the ground like a f*ckin' meteor by himself?

Ira, Guy, solid points on both...

I've never really considered myself a "Boliever", but just worried that if today came, that we wouldn't be able to hire a suitable replacement. And in my eyes, Tressel isn't that. I know he's been to NC game, and has a great record, but the fact that he was let go from his last job due to NCAA infractions doesn't worry anyone?

When fans want a championship so bad, they are willing to look past all the infractions. Just adopting the beliefs of most other teams in college football.

NO!!! NO!!! NO!! That is not what Nebraska is about. We've always ran a clean program. We don't have to reduce ourselves to their level. Tressel is not a good choice. He has too much baggage.

Like what? Lying to the NCAA to protect his players? Not to mention how great an organization the NCAA is towards its "student athletes." Tressel did what he thought was right and he did everything to protect his players. Kinda like another former coach from Ohio that we've had. Oh, and one legendary coach as well.