Hello, Mike Riley

knapplc

Over the past 7 years, Riley’s Oregon State teams were +17 in turnover margin. Nebraska was -33 over that same span. #Huskers

Over the past 7 years, Riley’s Oregon State teams were +17 in turnover margin. Nebraska was -33 over that same span. #Huskers

This tells me an aggressive D and a disciplined O - something that has been missing. I'll take that wt NU talent - we could go places.

If he's truly good at developing talent and getting the most out of players than he might do very well with the guys we have here now, but how about replacing those guys down the road? Is this going to be another 2009 defense with Bo moment?

What a disaster................I'm truly at a loss for words. I want to give the guy a chance, but I can't get over the feeling I have right now. I said a few days ago, this HAS to be the right hire or it'll drive this program to the depths from where it may never recover. I guess time will tell how this is going to go, but I have my doubts..............

My thoughts exactly. I feel completely empty inside. This was not a homerun hire. This was not a splash. I would challenge anyone to argue this is an upgrade over Pelini. Go on; someone explain how we are far better off with Riley as our head coach than Bo.

Riley is not a dick and he has been known to ride his bike to work. Being an avid cyclist I like that but...

Take it easy, guys. In the time it took me to read through the 5 pages of this thread, I've gone from inexplicable horror to optimism. I was one of the Tressel/Frost dreamers, but I knew it was just that - a dream. Heck, I even dreamed Bo could hang around as DC and keep all the recruits. But, there's one thing I really like about this choice -- we hired a HEAD COACH. I think we learned with Pelini what happens when you hire a coordinator as your HC -- you get a HC with 0 HC experience. He brings an OC with 0 OC experience and eventually a DC with 0 DC experience. The fact that we managed winning seasons was a combination of quazi-good coaching, luck, and the fact that we're playing the likes of Purdue and Indiana.

Let's all give this guy a shot, and do what we CAN DO - which is support this program and the players. Let me remind you that those recruits you guys don't want to lose are going to be watching things like Husker message boards to see people's reactions.

GO BIG RED!

• Fire 3

A bit surprised more on here aren't at least willing to give him a chance to prove himself with our resources.

If we wanted a ceo with a resume .........he's got that.

Now let's see who he brings in as coordinators before burying him..........that will tell us more about his potential success.......

When folks said they wanted a "CEO resume", I don't think Enron is what they had in mind... #DetailsMatter

Yeah, Details DO matter.

And I'm guessing that you don't know many more details than the rest of us in Husker Nation about Riley and his strengths etc. except for the win/loss comparison which is hard to compare across conferences......

So, (since we can't alter the decision anyway), why aren't folks willing to let him introduce himself, hire a staff and explain his philosophies??

Sounds like the "most knowledgable fans" in America aren't really quite so open minded after all........

I am good friends with some former OSU players under Riley. Today I am working next to a 3 year starter at OSU under Riley. His response - TO demeanor & it could be worst than always finishing 3rd in B10 West...

Riley is NOT a bad person; also not the hire we needed.

EDIT: I get you and others are excited about this and that's fine. For myself, I do not see any indication this will be an upgrade from what we had. Time will tell but that doesn't mean we can't share our opinion on the hire until then...

I don't understand. If he is such a great recruiter why isn't Oregon St better? I'm just hoping he can really develope players and NU hires top notch recruiters to complement him. It just doesn't seem like he brings the energy needed for this position, but I guess we will see.

He's not. That's a sack of crap. Oregon State's cupboard is bare right now because of his poor recruiting.

He can, however, develop players. He'll be WAY better than Bo ever was in that department.

Let's think about this for a second. He's 61 right? The only players Bo really ever developed here were Clownahan recruits ala Suh, Dillard, etc. We have some pretty good talent right now albeit raw. Maybe, just maybe he was brought in to develop the talent we have now with something else in the works. Most really wanted the Tressel/Frost staff for basically the same reason. There's still a lot that can happen in the next couple of weeks. At Riley's age, it's pretty much now or never unless he wants to coach well into his 70's.

I just can't buy into the recruiting praise....bill snyder can recruit to the mudhole that is manhattan kansas and win the conference now and then...this guy has done nothing but play spoiler once in a while? Is that what Nebraska is? A team that upsets people...I think I'd rather be the Bo Pelini's that get upset cause at least we were favored. Still glad Bo is gone cause he hated us anyway...

It's a 'splash' hire for everyone, it seems, except those of us here in NE. If we are preparing for a HUSKER SATURDAY GAME this time next year....Shawn will be a genius. I like our odds to be honest. Dig in a little (I had to dig a lot, I knew nothing about the dude) - and the sun starts shining.

• Turned down USC twice
  • Turned down Bama (where he played for Bear!)
  • The # of dudes he puts in the NFL
  • QB development
  • Ability to manage communication properly to all parties
  • WELL RESPECTED EVERYWHERE
  • An amazing recruiter
  • Agrees with the Nebraska Nice way
  • Will likely have a great staff due to the respect in circles
  • Will likely embrace and promote our great traditions, not the least of which will be the Blackshirts (which I think is one of NUs biggest marketing tools and needs to be leveraged)
  • More cool stuff I've read about him too...........tired of typing from phone....

Great post!!! All those freaking out simply don't understand the bigger picture, Mike Riley has proven he can do a lot with a little, especially when having to compete with Nike U, which would be hard for ANYONE!!! Now imagine what he may be able to accomplish here with the unlimited resources Nebraska has. I may be in the minority (at least among the fan base), but I think the future is brighter than many Husker fans realize; time will tell.

Yea, I feel like I'm in the minority too - but it's not a bad hire at all.

Here's a great video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmj0l1681ts

great video about developing the players including walk ons, everyone getting a fair chance (no more sitting good players out of 'loyalty' to the old players) and about teaching. He's more like Tom in the way of motivation - not the rousing speeches or the 'us against the world' stuff but about being a teacher. Confidence on the field comes from knowledge and knowledge comes from good teaching by the coaches and not from hype or emotion.

Every time a coach is hired, people find good things to say. I'm sure Michigan thought the same with Brady Hoke, Tennessee with their upteen coaches, Notre Dame with their coaches, etc.

The reality is this guy has accomplished nothing. All you can say is he develops untalented football players into decent ones. He's never won anything of note. I feel comfortable saying that in 3-4 years he will be fired, along with our AD who hired him.

• Fire 2

Take it easy, guys. In the time it took me to read through the 5 pages of this thread, I've gone from inexplicable horror to optimism. I was one of the Tressel/Frost dreamers, but I knew it was just that - a dream. Heck, I even dreamed Bo could hang around as DC and keep all the recruits. But, there's one thing I really like about this choice -- we hired a HEAD COACH. I think we learned with Pelini what happens when you hire a coordinator as your HC -- you get a HC with 0 HC experience. He brings an OC with 0 OC experience and eventually a DC with 0 DC experience. The fact that we managed winning seasons was a combination of quazi-good coaching, luck, and the fact that we're playing the likes of Purdue and Indiana.

Let's all give this guy a shot, and do what we CAN DO - which is support this program and the players. Let me remind you that those recruits you guys don't want to lose are going to be watching things like Husker message boards to see people's reactions.

GO BIG RED!

+1 I've gone from jaw dropping horror to a lets wait and see reserved optimism

• Fire 1

I don't know what to think at this point. Was this really the plan all along, do you think? Or was this the result of an unprepared scramble?

I really want to believe in this guy... but there's nothing really strong to go off of. His record is spotty, some good and some bad. Sounds like there are some upsets and some NFL greats in his background. But for a coach his age I guess I would have imagined someone a bit more.... accomplished. Seems a little late to be reaching a peak. And I highly doubt Frost is this miracle who is waiting in the wings.