New Coaching Staff: "They must be experts & treat people right."

The Duke

I think there's a chance Banker comes with. Out of respect he would allow Banker to interview for the HC job at OSU, but if they don't go that direction, Banker may end up here. He's done a lot of good things when he's had some decent talent.

DC: Banker

OC: Frost?

DL/RC: Orgeron?

LB: Bray?

DB: Warren

OL: Cavanaugh

RB: Ron Brown

WR: Brennan

STC: Read

I for one hope he keeps at least 1 guy, brings at least 3 of his own guys and hires the rest from outside of either programs.

Ideal:

HC: Riley

OC: Frost

DC: Orgeron

OL: his guy

DL: his guy

WR: his guy

RB: Brown

LB: out of house

ST: his guy

What...so you are saying we will not have a dedicated QB coach?

I for one hope he keeps at least 1 guy, brings at least 3 of his own guys and hires the rest from outside of either programs.

Ideal:

Riley is the QB Coach...and a good one at that

Ideal:

MR seems dedicated to developing the QB position, and mentioned it a couple times during his press conference and the side-media interviews afterwards. Oregeron is a great DL coach, so he could potentially oversee the defense and specifically the development of the DL. Otherwise, people who have worked with MR or covered him in the past say he would do a great job developing a QB without a QB coach.

Riley needs to get some young blood with new ideas...he was the Dinasour of the Pac-12 as every team just passed him by and he kept losing.

From an Oregon reporter:

There was a column I saw that you wrote in October, and this was after Oregon State had lost their eighth Pac-12 conference game out of the last nine, and you said that you thought that “the time has come for Riley to either take a hard look at his philosophy and make changes, or step away,” and I think this was in relation to running that pro-style offense.

GRESS: I think Mike’s a good coach, and I think he can run a program well, and do a lot of stuff. But in this day and age, and in this conference specifically with the way things are, he needed to evolve a little bit, do something that’s different in order for them to be competitive against the teams in this conference. Now what he likes to do might fit in the Big-10, but in this conference I thought that it was time for him to try and do something, just to either enthuse the fan base, maybe get them to have some success against some of those other teams, or he needs to walk away. If he didn’t want to do that, and felt like his time here had run his course, to walk away because of his contract and what that was going to cost Oregon State to maybe get out of if they maybe felt like they needed to make a move.

TOBIAS: If you had to look at things that fans disliked about his coaching, was that one of them, this stubbornness to kind of stick with a certain style of offense.

GRESS: I think you used the right word, stubbornness. He stuck with his guns and he wanted to go that route, and I think that’s what upset a lot of fans, because there wasn’t that willingness to try stuff, although it’s interesting, a few years back, when the “wildcat” (offense) was kind of getting there, they did have that. They had Jacquizz Rodgers doing a little bit of that. They started the “fly sweep,” which has been a staple of their offense, that was back in ’06 and ’07, somewhere back in there. So he has done some things, but I just think that the Pac-12 has gotten so much better in the last three years, especially. You see a lot of new coaches coming in and bringing new styles and things like that, and they felt like he was kind of the dinosaur of the coaches here, and they were back in the stone age of what they were trying to do, both offensively and defensively.

I think there's a chance Banker comes with. Out of respect he would allow Banker to interview for the HC job at OSU, but if they don't go that direction, Banker may end up here. He's done a lot of good things when he's had some decent talent.

DC: Banker

OC: Frost?

DL/RC: Orgeron?

LB: Bray?

OL: Cavanaugh

RB: Ron Brown

WR: Brennan

STC: Read

Imo, the only way we get Orgeron is if he is the DC.
  • Fire 1

Cornhusker football coach Mike Riley said about hiring his new staff that he looks for two things:

"They must be experts and treat people right."

In light of those comments and in looking at those remaining from Bo Pelini's previous staff, I can't imagine how Ron Brown is not retained under Mike Riley. I think Coach Brown would continue to be an excellent assistant for Nebraska as he has been for the past 20 plus years. He would also be a perfect bridge between the old staff & new staff.

So who all do you want to see on the next Cornhusker football staff?

Garrison--OL

Warren--DB

Brown--RB

Fairly sure he's bringing in his WR from OSU.

Torn on Ed, he's a bit gruff, but he's an excellent coach and recruiter. Not sure about the 'treats people the right way' part.

He wants a full time ST coach, Baron Miles lobbied to come back when the DB coaching position opened up, he would be a candidate for that role, IMO.

Frost--QB

So that would leave LB and DL (if Ed isn't coming) I'm not versed enough in position coaches to state any other person.

With my list, we do have a nice blend of former 'Huskers to help instill the meaning of being a Husker, some outstanding recruiters and coaches, and really some outstanding men that will help mold these boys into great men.

Now we're demoting Frost to QB coach? He must really love Nebraska

@NickESPN1480

Spoke w @LemmingReport about New #huskers HC Mike Riley,Orgeron & the possibility of #Seminoles Tim Brewster Joining the staff @ESPN1480

Former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster is currently the Florida State TE Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. Would be a great hire for Coach Riley!!!

Here are the the recruits that Tim Brewster is a recruiter for, according to Rivals. Yes Please!

@NickESPN1480

Spoke w @LemmingReport about New #huskers HC Mike Riley,Orgeron & the possibility of #Seminoles Tim Brewster Joining the staff @ESPN1480

Former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster is currently the Florida State TE Coach and Recruiting Coordinator. Would be a great hire for Coach Riley!!!

Here is the the recruits that Tim Brewster is a recruiter for, according to Rivals. Yes Please!

Is there a connection between the two are is it just name dropping?