Big Ten Recruiting and NU's Goals

teachercd

I'm one of those crazies who think the stars matter (at least to some degree), but there's also something to be said about recruiting the right guys to fit your system. If we do the latter well, I wouldn't mind the occasional 25-35 class. But I think living in the top 25 a majority of the time is a realistic expectation. We should be best in the division every year in recruiting, and it should translate into owning the West.

• Fire 1

We should never be outside the top 3 and should occasionally be able to land #1 if we are serious. However I'm not sure about our seriousness at this point.

Meyer, Franklin and Harbaugh are the best you'll find at recruiting and they have the same if not more to offer than we do.

Being 4th by average isn't unreasonable, as long as it isn't a distant 4th.

I would agree. Top 3 consistently is probably a little strong, but we have to mix in a highly regarded class ala #1 or 2 every 4 years.

As long as tOSU and Michigan are in the conference top two will never happen based on recruiting bases alone.

Curious question to those that expect improved recruiting though, would you still want more instate kids getting offers then???

Just my supposition here, but I think the real difference between Nebraska being a consistent player in conference has everything to do with how our linemen are developed.

I would argue that our skill players are as athletic as Ohio St's, however we have an offensive line that hasn't gotten out of its own way in a decade. There is no reason why this should be. We don't necessarily need the 5* players littered on the OL. The best linemen we've had in the past 5 years was a walk on, and that's not uncommon. In reality, we should be Wisconsin, but with better skill players because we recruit better than them.

As far as defensive line, I'm really confused here. We have undoubtedly one of the best DLs talentwise in the nation (top 20). We have been led to believe that we play a scheme that limits explosive plays by being less aggressive in terms of getting upfield......and yet we STILL give up as many big plays as pretty much anyone in the nation.

I think if we have an upgrade in position coaching across the board, and recruiting stays on par....we're looking at some much better years ahead.

We should never be outside the top 3 and should occasionally be able to land #1 if we are serious. However I'm not sure about our seriousness at this point.

Meyer, Franklin and Harbaugh are the best you'll find at recruiting and they have the same if not more to offer than we do.

Being 4th by average isn't unreasonable, as long as it isn't a distant 4th.

I would agree. Top 3 consistently is probably a little strong, but we have to mix in a highly regarded class ala #1 or 2 every 4 years.
As long as tOSU and Michigan are in the conference top two will never happen based on recruiting bases alone.

Curious question to those that expect improved recruiting though, would you still want more instate kids getting offers then???

What would more instate offers do if those kids aren't as good as guys we can get elsewhere? Just make people feel good I guess. You go to where the players are and you recruit your ass off. Every chance you get on tv you need to be recruiting talking about how great Nebraska and their facilities are.

Next time you see nick Saban on tv you'll know what I mean. Dude is always recruiting. He could be in line at McDonalds waiting to get a cheeseburger from Bo and he'd be recruiting the 7 year old in line next to him.

Something surprised me today. Riley is now after some stud lineman from Oklahoma. I looked at the kid's offers and Oregon State was there. Nebraska was not. For some reason, Pelini didn't offer the kid. Now, with Riley on board, the kid is decided between Nebraska and Okie State and is leaning DONU. Recruiting will get better because these guys are a lot better at it.

24/7 365 is the job. Anything less, you are going to fail.

Now as to being top 3 in the conference every year, highly doubtful.

Our 24/7 365 is different than Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State and Penn State. They can exist off of home state kids, take others for sure. We have to rely on National recruiting, and seeing the kids on the field and in their school is much harder due to time getting to and from.

If we can battle for fourth every year, and can develop players like Coach Riley seems to be able to, we will be okay. See a CCG 5-6 times out of ten and possibly a CCC. Playoffs are another level and we will have to see how the recruiting and development go.

No.

Really, the Big Ten? What happened to measuring by national rankings?

What do you think teacher......will we out recruit Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State not under suspension, and Michigan State (about equal with us in stature)? Will we continue to sign up southern players to play in 20 degree temps with below 0 windchill? I'm thinking leaving the Big 12 just made it a hell of a lot harder.

I'm now wondering if we could even compete if they switched to luge, speed skating, hockey and ski jumping......seems like we're now a southern school in the frozen league.

Is it not cold in Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan?

They're Texas type schools with a huge homer recruiting base right outside the door....... we have to go to Guacamolia to recruit. Most of our past recruiting success has come from the south.

​Discuss.

Football season is over before it really gets cold most years. And there is a chance for snow in Vegas this week even. Can we stop using the regurgitated crap that spews from the mouths of the likes of Colin Cowherd as actual arguments? If the temps dropping bellow 50 is the reason you can't land kids, your sales pitch sucks, and anyway. do you really want a guy that soft?

• Fire 2

I think it is the weather argument, the middle of a corn field legend, and what we have put on the field/sideline for the last 5 years.

You can recruit to Nebraska, but you can not eliminate kids because you feel they are too good for your program. We have to recruit Nationally, so if your going to do that, you go after the best, if you get them fantastic if not the next one up. Never eliminate kids. I think our past staff did that, because they did not believe in their product. You heard Harbaugh say it today, you have to love your product to sell it successfully, does anyone truly believe the past staff loved Nebraska or its traditions. I think Mike Riley is learning how important of job he has and will love the challenge

Something surprised me today. Riley is now after some stud lineman from Oklahoma. I looked at the kid's offers and Oregon State was there. Nebraska was not. For some reason, Pelini didn't offer the kid. Now, with Riley on board, the kid is decided between Nebraska and Okie State and is leaning DONU. Recruiting will get better because these guys are a lot better at it.

Bo Pelini had a gentlemen's agreement with Bob Stoops that we wouldn't recruit kids from Oklahoma.

Bo Pelini had a gentlemen's agreement with Bob Stoops that we wouldn't recruit kids from Oklahoma.

Not sure if this is serious...

It is not serious and it has become a bit of the old message board urban legend stuff...some dork listed all the recruits from OK that Pelini offered and it was a decent amount.

But were they also being pursued by Oklahoma? (Just curious, not challenging the theory)

I really don't remember the names on the list...it might still be on the rivals post board, not sure.