Ron Brown Following Bo to Youngstown

Mavric

I can see how RB can appreciate Bo's "spirit". Bo is a VERY passionate man, and he displays this passion for all to see. RB does the same thing with his passion for god. I can see how he looks beyond the negative with Bo. In fact, I appreciate Bo's passion for the game. I don't appreciate the way he displays that passion.

• Fire 2

I appreciate all RB did for the program, but his comment about not being wanted is bugging me. He knows it is a business and he knows stuff like this happens. Maybe MR did not think RB wanted to be a part of the staff.

To say he does not condone the language, but then in the next breath supports his spirit is pretty strange. I feel if RB truly love the university and what it stands for, he would just move on and not make a comment like he did. There is no doubt the players liked Bo and Bo liked his players. RB was the same way. Maybe I am reading too much into it. I think just saying it was not a good fit and move on would be the best here....who knows?!?

I'm disappointed to see Rob Brown go. He's a great coach and a great person. I wouldn't be surprised to see him take over as head coach at Youngstown once Bo moves on. I wish Ron Brown the best of luck.

Oddly, Brown's departure makes it the first time we've had a 100% regime change in the football staff in, like, forever. Not one holdover from Bo's staff.

lol you guys are maniacs. It has nothing to do with Browns loyalties to Bo or HCJC. Riley is loyal to guys that were willing to put in time with him at OSU. When one becomes a made man it is proper by the made man to bring those from the street with him to the top. That simple. Quit being so dramatic.

Not one holdover from Bo's staff.

Charlton Warren & Willie Jones. Warren's only been here for a year under Bo, but Jones has been here for seven-ish.

Funny story about Willie Jones. I ran into him downtown, he looked familiar and with the Husker gear I presumed coach. We had just hired on a new O Line coach and for some reason, I asked him if he was John Garrison. He gives me a "you're crazy" look and says, "Man, Garrison's a white guy!" In my defense, I was super tired and I really don't pay attention to race. And I had never seen a picture of either Jones or Garrison.

• Fire 1

lol you guys are maniacs.

An apt description of most of HuskerBoard.

Quit being so dramatic.

Ron Brown has been a coach here since the 1980s, and he's been one of the best and most-beloved coaches through that time. A thread with >30 posts saying that people are going to miss him isn't anyone being "dramatic." It's a pretty natural, and pretty understated, response.

Take a knee, son.

• Fire 2

Not one holdover from Bo's staff.

Charlton Warren & Willie Jones. Warren's only been here for a year under Bo, but Jones has been here for seven-ish.

Funny story about Willie Jones. I ran into him downtown, he looked familiar and with the Husker gear I presumed coach. We had just hired on a new O Line coach and for some reason, I asked him if he was John Garrison. He gives me a "you're crazy" look and says, "Man, Garrison's a white guy!" In my defense, I was super tired and I really don't pay attention to race. And I had never seen a picture of either Jones or Garrison.

Yeah, he's so new to the staff that I forgot Charlton even worked for Bo. I don't think I've even heard of Willie Jones.

lol you guys are maniacs.

An apt description of most of HuskerBoard.

Quit being so dramatic.

Ron Brown has been a coach here since the 1980s, and he's been one of the best and most-beloved coaches through that time. A thread with >30 posts saying that people are going to miss him isn't anyone being "dramatic." It's a pretty natural, and pretty understated, response.Take a knee, son.

Scroll a little slower through it, HOSS. Its quickly turning into a " if he likes Bo he's gotta go" thread. Also, Solich gave well over 30 years of his life to then program. I have a great lesson for you we can Learn from HCMR - Take care of people who put in the time.

I want to say best of luck to Ron Brown. I think there was such a toxic environment surrounding the football team that everybody had to go. I think that's why we saw this extend all the way to the support staff. Ron Brown did great things during his time here helping shape young men's lives but I'm sure there are other coaches that can do the exact same thing.

Still believe RB at least deserved an interview.......

After that, it's certainly MR's call...........

There's a little snippet of that column by Sipple where Brown admits, in his own words, that using Nebraska Football as a platform to promote his religious beliefs caused some tension. Now are we or are we not tired of all the tension? This is Ron's admission. This isnt speculated heresay.

He also claims to have had a 10 minute talk with Riley. Brown didnt believe it to be an interview, but maybe Riley does. Maybe Riley got enough out of that brief conversation to understand that Brown isnt right for his vision.

This is not a good riddance post, either. It's one where I'm trying to see both sides. I respect Brown and appreciate his tenure as much as the next guy. But this is a business. We just passed a deal to pay the players an additional 3600 bucks. This is a straight up business now in which winning is the only thing that matters. This falls in line the need to move on approach in which you cant get cuaght up living in the good ole days.

And for those a little uneasy about his "I wasnt wanted" comment, I wouldnt be. Not at all. In proper perspective, what would you expect from somone who spent his adult life at this place. And he's now been a part of two fired coaching staffs. I wont judge or worry about anything he says at the moment.

• Fire 1

I think with Riley not knowing any of the past coaches and how contentious everything was around here, it is perfectly understandable that he didn't have a desire to keep any of the past staff. I'm sure he knew he might be getting rid of a couple really good coaches, but he wanted to bring in guys he knew and trusted.

Perfectly understandable.

I am shocked he is following Bo to Youngstown State. I would have thought he would be a very well respected coach major schools would have wanted. I also thought he would have been tired of Bo's act.

Best of luck and I have all the respect in the world for the guy.

Brown is apparently loyal to Bo. Its his perogative. And respectable. But it reaffirms that the right decision was made. If we want a fresh start, then we need to create a fresh start. And again. If Brown had not coached here with Osborne, we'd want to send him packing as well. Brown's connection to Osborne and the glory days is the only thing that freed him from ctiticism and opened the doors to his actual abilities.

Bingo