If the good defensive results were because of Pelini being some marvel at coaching defense then similar results should have been experienced with other players and vs other styles of offenses. The fact is Bo had a system that worked in limited situations and he failed to adjust his system or personnel to differing conditions. Hardly the trait of an excellent coach (position or head). A coach as good as some claim Bo was would've adapted to what was required.

With our least talented defensive roster, Bo held a smashmouth rushing attack to less than 60 yards rushing. Then in the same season the same offense rushed for over 500. So we did have similar results with other players against a different style of offense. And then we got embarrassed by it. He adjusted and adapted in one instance, and not the other.

This is a paradox. This is not a simple, "Oh he could only do one thing and got lucky" cut and dry explanation.

The dichotomy of the results does not surprise me in the least. He basically got lucky and some opponents hit his wheelhouse and when they didn't fit the mold, the results could get very ugly.

Nobody gets purely lucky to the tune of allowing less than 10 points and 300 yards per game. Nobody gets purely lucky to be a hot commodity position coach well established in the NFL over several seasons, and then goes on to post the 11th, 11th, 3rd, 3rd, and 3rd ranked defenses in college football as a DC.

As in all things of course there is not only one or two simple answers. We find the truth in a combination factors. I have no explanation for why BP could call a good defensive gameplan in some cases and totally fail to adjust in others. But I do feel comfortable claiming that a defensive genius would not fail to make required adjustments and would not allow so many defensive futility marks to be set. A genius, a guru, brings it most every game in most all conditions. Bo doesn't fall into that category. He may have had some good results at times but he also had horrible results at other times. That's not any kind of genius at work.

I gotta say that I've enjoyed reading this thread. This game fascinates me. Had the opener been South Alabama we would have a better idea what to expect. So it really comes down to how well summer went and how they prepare in fall. I feel good that Riley has experience against BYU. That should benefit how they look to prepare against BYU on both sides of the ball. It may sound strange, but BYU reminds me of UCLA a little bit. Not talent wise, but competitively they are similar by their ability to run and pass with some success throughout a game. They both have good running backs and experienced QB's that can move around and make plays. I'm not so sure about them defensively. I do see them scoring points and I see both teams making big plays on offense. All in all, I think it will come down to the final 8 minutes of the game and what happens during that time. If Taysom Hill is playing with confidence by then, I will not feel good about it. I'm nervous about our LBs early on, the OL in pass protection, and Tommy's mid range passing efficiency. I don't think TA will have to put the team on his back to win, because the Huskers have more talent and speed overall. But he has to cut down on missing the easier / open throws that kill drives. And since it's a home opener, I do expect nerves and some penalties, because it happens with new systems in place with new coaches and new starters here and there. But if we see a few turnovers mixed in with repetitive mistakes that stall drives, it could be costly in this one. I see the Huskers bringing excitement, albeit at a slower, steady pace offensively (*ahem* huddle, run a play, huddle, repeat), as well as an enthusiastic defense that keeps attacking the guy with the ball - chest bumping, throwing bones and literally having fun making a play....and the Huskers offense ending the game in victory formation with a 4 point win (something like 34-30). Both teams will shake hands, Riley will be gosh golly happy and grinning at the podium, and Huskerboard will be flooded with lots of enthused Husker fans enjoying some Husker football back in action again (even if some will regret a few half time alcoholic induced melt down threads :D )

• Fire 1

Sorry been busy with real life stuff, that dirty 4 letter word that starts with a W.

As anyone that knows my history on the board.

Life to me is a constant struggle between hope and fear.

I felt better when I talked to some of my relatives living back in Nebraska about this game and what they have seen in local media etc. I do not get any of that where I live currently.

That said moving back near Lincoln in less then a week so finally can attend home games again...

As to my current hopfearomoter, i feel like we will win this but at 51%, not the 30 points lost before.

As to personal challenges / call outs to bet against other posters on this boards, A) I dont gamble, B) even if I did I would not bet against NU.

Last year I predicted barely 9 wins and if we got them it would be really really hard road to get them. When we got to 8 some posters pulled my old post. I did not re-pull my post at the end of the season, because just like I stated in that prediction, I did not want it to come true. However in that old post, I felt this year would be the year we could win a conf championship or more.

That was before a major coaching mix up, not debating if bo should go, he should of and he did.

Sorry been busy with real life stuff, that dirty 4 letter word that starts with a W.

I felt better when I talked to some of my relatives living back in Nebraska about this game and what they have seen in local media etc. I do not get any of that where I live currently.

That said moving back near Lincoln in less then a week so finally can attend home games again...

As to my current hopfearomoter, i feel like we will win this but at 51%, not the 30 points lost before.

As to personal challenges / call outs to bet against other posters on this boards, A) I dont gamble, B) even if I did I would not bet against NU.

Last year I predicted barely 9 wins and if we got them it would be really really hard road to get them. When we got to 8 some posters pulled my old post. I did not re-pull my post at the end of the season, because just like I stated in that prediction, I did not want it to come true. However in that old post, I felt this year would be the year we could win a conf championship or more.

That was before a major coaching mix up, not debating if bo should go, he should of and he did.

Wife?

• Fire 1

Wife?

:funnyhahah

It's almost like we had a bunch more defensive talent in 09 and 10 and maybe the dichotomy had very little to do with Bo or coaching and maybe had something to do with a man named Suh. It's really more logical that maybe Bo is not the defensive genius some profess him to be. If that were even close to the truth, how in the hell did he manage to set so many defensive futility marks here? I'd listen to other explanations......

Tons of teams, even yearly, have had the same levels of talent across the board on their defenses and not gotten anywhere close to the level of dominance of that unit. You can accredit all of that to Suh if you'd like, but I don't know how you can get past remembering that a ton of our quarterbacks and hurries were coverage sacks due to blanket coverage, which still continued after Suh was no longer on the roster. The 2010 defense was still pretty damn dominant and borderline elite, and even after that, we always led the nation in passing efficiency defense despite poor defensive line play (and no, it wasn't because teams had so much success running the ball that they didn't HAVE to pass on us).

Things like holding 2011 Michigan State to 3 points, 2012 Wisconsin (the first time) to 56 yards rushing, and others still happened after the fact.

How in the hell did he manage to set so many defensive futility marks here? I don't know. That's what's fascinating. I have no idea how to reconcile the two realities, because chalking up the entirety of the really good reality to a roster with NFL players seems way too ridiculously simple to cover it. That 2009 defense was not the most talented defense in the entirety of college football in the last 15 years by a long shot, Suh or no Suh, but it was right around the most dominant. That doesn't just happen with a mediocre neanderthal of a defensive coach.

Sorry but when people try to still claim that he was some kind of defensive genius/guru, all I can do is laugh and question the intelligence of the person making such a claim.

You can laugh and question people's intelligence all you want, but you're finding comfort in a very broad and simplistic answer to a question/situation that likely has a ton of nuance, so I'd think you have your own head in the sand more than you think.

LOMS, I agree with most of what you're saying, I just think you might be selling the rest of that 09 and 10 defense short. 09 of course had the once in a generation player, but behind him was an NFL LB in Dillard. Then 4 NFL DB's in Prince, Fonzie, Gomes, and Hagg. I think one of the D-ends even got drafted but could be wrong. Asante too if he was on that D can't recall right now.

2010 Still had those 4 DB's, another NFL starter in Crick, and in my opinion a once in a generation LB in Lavonte David. Has anyone been following David's career, by some football metric stat he has been by far the best run stopping LB in the NFL and gets an inordinate amount of TFL's for a guy that rarely rushes the QB.

Guessing he got sick of the no premarital relations thing.

That honor code would be tough to stick through for 4 years. Well, at least I think. I wouldn't have had any issues with that when I was in college. Chicks acted like I had the plague when I came near them.
They still act that way towards me.