Chances of dropping Adidas after our contract is up?

Rumor is they're holding off on opening the Nike outlet store that was to take the spot of the old bookstore until the Adidas contract has been bought out with the help of Ndamukong Suh. Seems pretty lofty but would actually make sense as to why they are delaying it.

Nike would make a killing from all the Husker fans ditching their old Adidas Husker gear in favor of the new Nike Husker gear. Well, at least a couple hundred bucks from me.

Rumor is they're holding off on opening the Nike outlet store that was to take the spot of the old bookstore until the Adidas contract has been bought out with the help of Ndamukong Suh. Seems pretty lofty but would actually make sense as to why they are delaying it.

Nike would make a killing from all the Husker fans ditching their old Adidas Husker gear in favor of the new Nike Husker gear. Well, at least a couple hundred bucks from me.

Do you throw out old Husker Gear? Isn't it agains a man law or something to keep every piece of your teams clothing?

Do you throw out old Husker Gear? Isn't it agains a man law or something to keep every piece of your teams clothing?

If it doesn't fit or is smelly or stained or just darn super old, I will throw it out. I don't need to break out my '94 Unfinished Business National Championship t-shirt to show what type of super fan I am.

Don't be consumed by gear, y'all...

Look for the soul of the team, that thing that brings you to the game on Saturday, not superficial crap that is designed to keep us buying!

Honestly, i really think the move will be a lot about recruiting. Its crazy it makes a difference, but it can be a difference maker between a kid coming here or somewhere else if all other things are equal.
  • Fire 1

If we start becoming more relevant, I think Nike would want us, right now they probably don't have any reason to be our brand. I would think if we dropped adidas, Under Armour would be the brand that we go to. I just have a feeling Nike wouldn't want to give us much for some reason. Now, if Suh and others can get them on board, then Yes I will definitely take it, I am just optimistic if Nike has a tone of interest. I don't know much about the branding stuff, but that's my take on it.

We don't need to switch to Nike, with Nike we are just one of many. We are Addidas top brand and what we need to do is get Addidas to step up and understand how college football works and hold an annual camp on campus here the way Nike does at Oregon and Ohio State. If they held an "Addidas top 100" camp for the top prospects on Nebraska's campus it would go a long way both for the program and their brand.

• Fire 2

We don't need to switch to Nike, with Nike we are just one of many. We are Addidas top brand and what we need to do is get Addidas to step up and understand how college football works and hold an annual camp on campus here the way Nike does at Oregon and Ohio State. If they held an "Addidas top 100" camp for the top prospects on Nebraska's campus it would go a long way both for the program and their brand.

That would require Adidas to care about their recognition in regards to college athletics, which they don't.

Since Adidas' inception, they have always been more concerned about soccer sales - because it is one of, if not the most popular sports globally. I'm sure at one time they thought about re-focusing on college athletics, but that ship has sailed. Recently, they have begun losing market share related to their main revenue stream (soccer) and will continue to allocate resources and capital on trying to reverse the trend. From a business standpoint, this makes sense as these efforts should produce better returns than trying to enter, or re-establish, the college athletics business segment. If anything, they will continue to sign NBA players to endorsements, as basketball is increasing in popularity globally. Put another way, they believe sponsoring Ricky Rubio, John Wall, or Derrick Rose is better use of capital because they know kids in other countries are more likely to recognize those names compared to Nebraska or Arizona State. The only reason to invest in colleges here is to gain an uptick in sales from North America, but Adidas also knows that most Americans prefer Nike and Under Armour, not to mention the fact you can walk into Husker Headquarters and purchase non-Adidas merchandise, so they're not going to pump money and effort into an area that will produce marginal returns, no matter what their twitter or U.S. public relations group makes you believe.

• Fire 1

Don't be consumed by gear, y'all...

Look for the soul of the team, that thing that brings you to the game on Saturday, not superficial crap that is designed to keep us buying!

Honestly, i really think the move will be a lot about recruiting. Its crazy it makes a difference, but it can be a difference maker between a kid coming here or somewhere else if all other things are equal.

I am a 1000% believer of this.

Maybe we could keep Adidas but subcontract the alternate uniforms to Nike or Under Armour.

That would never happen. These players aren't even supposed to wear nike shorts to sleep in much less for a game on national tv. It would be a direct violation of the contract between UNL and adidas.