0:01

I think they were on the 40 yard line or so. Would have been a *long* field goal attempt, but not necessarily impossible. There wasn't much wind to contend with.

ESPN game summary says they were at the 41, so a 58 yard field goal. Their kicker's career long was 49 yards and he has never attempted anything over 50.

Their kicker looked pretty good in warm ups, but if he hadn't attempted a 50+ FG before, a hail mary attempt probably would have been their best bet then (assuming :01 remained). MSU didn't show much of a deep threat most of the game - I think I like our odds in that case.

With our pass defense? I'm glad he threw it away with no time left. biggrin1.gif

I think they were on the 40 yard line or so. Would have been a *long* field goal attempt, but not necessarily impossible. There wasn't much wind to contend with.

ESPN game summary says they were at the 41, so a 58 yard field goal. Their kicker's career long was 49 yards and he has never attempted anything over 50.

Their kicker looked pretty good in warm ups, but if he hadn't attempted a 50+ FG before, a hail mary attempt probably would have been their best bet then (assuming :01 remained). MSU didn't show much of a deep threat most of the game - I think I like our odds in that case.

With our pass defense? I'm glad he threw it away with no time left. biggrin1.gif

Heh. Yeah, me too.

It was nice to see that we had some pressure on Cook that play - his pocket was collapsing which seemed to be a factor causing him to hold on to it longer than he wanted to.

The 2009 call was, in fact, the correct call. The ball hit the ground out of bounds with 1 second left. Cook's pass hit the ground out of bounds as time expired.

^^ This. As much as I hated to see 0:01 put back on the clock in 2009, it was the right call. On Saturday it was clear that time had expired. Just goes to show that a few tenths of a second can make all the difference.

Heh. Yeah, me too.

It was nice to see that we had some pressure on Cook that play - his pocket was collapsing which seemed to be a factor causing him to hold on to it longer than he wanted to.

We did collapse the pocket on him at the end. He actually lost control of the ball and almost fumbled. That's why he needed to regather to throw it away.

The fix of the time clock back in the Texas game was not legal under the rules and there was no review for time clock purposes only. The refs were allowed to correct the clock if they had signaled for it to stop but it continues to run. But in the Texas game case, there was no referee signal to stop the clock before the last second ticked off. Therefore, it was the Big 12 Helps Texas 'adjustment' to the rules situation. Texas meant to stop the clock and kick the field goal before the time ran out but their legendary QB simply goofed up. That is obviously not the way things are supposed to go so the referees and Big 12 did the 'right' thing and gave Texas the time it needed.

You will notice that nowhere ever in any other games do the officials use the replay to correct the time clock each time the ball is thrown out of bounds. Often the clocks ticks off 1, 2 or even 3 or 4 seconds before the clock operator stops it. These precious seconds are not 'adjusted' or fixed. the only time is if there is some other ruling such as a penalty or measurement or otherwise. this is by rule.

It was 2009. I don't believe in the full circle stuff. Just think enough football will be played to see the whole spectrum of results and situations on both sides of the coin.

:facepalm: 2009. Edited for accuracy

Are we talking about when Suh was here, it would be 2010 the last year we were in the Big 12, correct? of that 1 second left in the 4th against Texas.

2009 Big XII championship game versus Texas. We played OU for the title in 2010. Suh's last year was 2009.

It was 2009. I don't believe in the full circle stuff. Just think enough football will be played to see the whole spectrum of results and situations on both sides of the coin.

:facepalm: 2009. Edited for accuracy

Are we talking about when Suh was here, it would be 2010 the last year we were in the Big 12, correct? of that 1 second left in the 4th against Texas.

2009 Big XII championship game versus Texas. We played OU for the title in 2010.

Yeah, I get those two confuse a lot.

The fix of the time clock back in the Texas game was not legal under the rules and there was no review for time clock purposes only. The refs were allowed to correct the clock if they had signaled for it to stop but it continues to run. But in the Texas game case, there was no referee signal to stop the clock before the last second ticked off. Therefore, it was the Big 12 Helps Texas 'adjustment' to the rules situation. Texas meant to stop the clock and kick the field goal before the time ran out but their legendary QB simply goofed up. That is obviously not the way things are supposed to go so the referees and Big 12 did the 'right' thing and gave Texas the time it needed.

I've heard Husker fans who've always considered this a Big 12 conspiracy, but this is the first time I've heard someone claim a clear rule was violated.

I hated how it turned out, but always considered it the correct move by the officials. The MSU ending shows how it would have been had McCoy simply lofted the ball a couple degrees higher.