Banker's Defense in Review

Bankers defenses have always been pretty good verses pro style offenses with immobile quarterbacks. The problems usually arise against dual threat qb's and spread systems. I'm fairly sure the games that Bankers defense has played well in this year are due more to a good match up than improving defense.

Are you talking out of your butt? Beathard is a mobile qb. He's shown it throughout the year.

You need to make sure you use a monospace font for the table or use the "code" macro, then it'll work like normal

Opponent          Points | Avg. Points | Ranking | Yards | Avg. Yards | Ranking
BYU                 33   |     34.2    |    39   |  511  |     428    |    46
S. Alabama           9   |     24.8    |    95   |  332  |     360    |   102
Miami               36   |     28.9    |    65   |  511  |     401    |    65
So Miss             28   |     41.7    |     9   |  458  |     535    |     8
Illinois            14   |     22.7    |   102   |  382  |     373    |    89
Wisconsin           23   |     27.1    |    80   |  469  |     377    |    82
Minnesota           25   |     22.6    |   103   |  366  |     357    |   103
Northwestern        30   |     20.7    |   111   |  333  |     333    |   115
Purdue              55   |     25.1    |    93   |  457  |     369    |    94
Michigan State      38   |     33.4    |    44   |  491  |     399    |    68
Rutgers             14   |     27.1    |    80   |  259  |     377    |    83
Iowa                28   |     33.7    |    41   |  250  |     404    |    63
Total                    |     27.8    |         |       |     401.6  |
  • Fire 5

Didn't Gerry himself say they all looked at each other a few weeks back and decided to buy in? There's a culture problem there.

The one unit that we did see improvement in this season was the defense as we got kids back from injury, so (IMO) we need to give Banker credit for that. Still not a fan of how he plays pass coverage and has the secondary work, but there was noticeable improvement, and I'm curious to see how we do with a healthy and stocked defense next season.

And in all honestly, how many times did our offense put the defense in craptacular situations with turnovers and poor play (e.g. not picking up 3rd and short all season long)? The Iowa game was a prime example of this--the defense, save for those two busted runs, played a hell of a game, but were let down time and again by the offense via turnovers and their inability to sustain meaningful drives.

It's almost as if the defense progressed as the offense regressed this season.

What we need is the ability to get off the field when we need to. The defense did it against Iowa. Against Northwestern, not so much. As long as the defense makes the necessary stops it's good.

Except it didn't against Iowa. NU scores a TD and gets within 4, and it took one play for Iowa to score. I know Gerry was out, but come on, make one stop to get the ball back to the offense.

Why would you only look at one possession the entire game? It's going to be pretty hard to ever find a defense that doesn't at least give up A score in a football game.

Our defense did everything it needed to do in the 4th quarter for us to be in a great position to win.

Yeah, and our D did better against Iowa than the chart reflects. Tommy threw a pick six.

Bankers defenses have always been pretty good verses pro style offenses with immobile quarterbacks. The problems usually arise against dual threat qb's and spread systems. I'm fairly sure the games that Bankers defense has played well in this year are due more to a good match up than improving defense.

Are you talking out of your butt? Beathard is a mobile qb. He's shown it throughout the year.
He rushed for a total of 285 yards all year. Not exactly a running qb...but you're right, Iowa has always been known for their spread attack on offense!

He rushed for a total of 285 yards all year. Not exactly a running qb...but you're right, Iowa has always been known for their spread attack on offense!

Tommy Armstrong Jr - 324 yards - 3.7ypc

CJ Beathard - 285 yards - 3.5ypc

• Fire 2

The defense did improve as the season went on. Improvement isn't just an 'on paper' deal. I'd say starting around the Minnesota game you really started to see the DBs trying to jump routes and playing more aggresively. They had better positioning on routes that they just didn't have at the beginning of the year. The LBs improved a good bit too in the pass game. Beginning of the year they just looked to be in no mans land half the time. I think they're brightest spot came against Wisconsin with Newby showing off some great cover skills. The biggest problem with this D was 3rd down defense and 4th quarter defense. We lacked any sense of an edge rush. If we want to see any imprrovement from this year to next, it might come down to whether or not we have a guy that can consistently get in a QBs face.

The one thing I was happy to see was the subbing. It seemed like we were running players in a lot on defense. We rotated the LBs and DL every other series or so and the DBs as often also. Some of it could have been the packages we were running but it was nice to see.

Beathard is certainly a mobile qb but he has a bad groin, they didn't run him against us. In general Iowa ran a vanilla, playing not to lose offense. They didn't put the ball down the field either and basically went into clock-kill mode with most of the 4th quarter left. The D certainly did show improvement and yes you do have to wonder what happens if Gerry stays in but the conservative O Iowa ran did make them easier to stop.

Factor in how many short fields and points were the direct result of turnovers (cough Purdue game) and the outcome is not nearly that bleak. He's no 2004-2007 Pelini, but he's also far from 2007 Cosgrove.

2007: Allowed 6.1 Yards per play: Played 7 Power 5 Top 60 Offenses

2015: Allowed 5.8 Yards per play. Played 1 Power 5 Top 60 Offense

So we were one foot better per play against vastly inferior offenses. I think that's pretty much a wash.