Scott Frost to UCF

It isn't just the TO influence. He has been coached and been around some of the greatest NFL minds as well. I'm a little surprised he didn't go to a bigger better program, but it's also pretty easy to see why he'd opt for a UCF job over a top notch job where expectations and results are expected and demanded. I don't see him at UCF 5-6 years from now.

Where did the notion come from that Scott Frost's ties to Nebraska are an invaluable asset? Does anyone really think that? Has anyone actually said that?

Maybe from observing non-native coaches passing a lot (perhaps too much) when the wind and snow is blowing :dunno I know I'm being too simplistic but Nebraska isn't the west coast and anyone that grew up here or played here knows that the weather can be harsh. Apparently it's not common knowledge.

Having Nebraska ties is a great asset. Not sure why some are trying to downplay the value in that.

Personally, I wish we'd fire Riley today and steal frost before he signs the papers.

What??? Really.. fire a first year coach at your university and bring in a first year offensive coordinator, who had a so so year at another university and totally mess with his recruits. Solid choice.

Yes. That would be the right long term move. And would give NU a chance to right this ship that much sooner. Will never happen, but it should.

And offensively, Oregon was better than so so.

Careful. Scott Frost has been known to call a pass play on Third and One.

As is every good OC.

Some just have a better sense of what and how to run on 3rd and 1 than apparently Langsdorf has (his offense run schemes are completely unimaginative).

Wrong. The run plays that are in the play book are very good and well designed plays that distribute the ball to a lot of different players attacking from side line to side line.

Now, if you want to criticize his usage of those plays, that might be a credible criticism. But, we have seen this year a very creative run game with plays that are well designed.

• Fire 1

Having Nebraska ties is a great asset. Not sure why some are trying to downplay the value in that.

Personally, I wish we'd fire Riley today and steal frost before he signs the papers.

What??? Really.. fire a first year coach at your university and bring in a first year offensive coordinator, who had a so so year at another university and totally mess with his recruits. Solid choice.

Yes. That would be the right long term move. And would give NU a chance to right this ship that much sooner. Will never happen, but it should.

As is every good OC.

Some just have a better sense of what and how to run on 3rd and 1 than apparently Langsdorf has (his offense run schemes are completely unimaginative).

A brief survey of HuskerBoard suggests everyone here had a different and better call than the play that didn't work, and virtually no memory of how we managed to average 450 yards a game.

For the record, the 2015 Huskers under Langsdorf were ranked 27th in the NCAA in third down conversion. So yes, technically, 26 OCs might have had a better sense, but this clueless OC we got stuck with somehow fared better in third down playcalling than Iowa, Oklahoma State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, TCU, Utah, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Mississippi State, Auburn, LSU, USC, Ohio State and Scott Frost's Oregon, just to name a few of the 100 teams ranked below us in third down conversion.

But keep letting that hate flow through you. The Force is strong with you.

• Fire 5

As is every good OC.

A brief survey of HuskerBoard suggests everyone here had a different and better call than the play that didn't work, and virtually no memory of how we managed to average 450 yards a game.

For the record, the 2015 Huskers under Langsdorf were ranked 27th in the NCAA in third down conversion. So yes, technically, 26 OCs might have had a better sense, but this clueless OC we got stuck with somehow fared better in third down playcalling than Iowa, Oklahoma State, North Carolina, Notre Dame, TCU, Utah, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Mississippi State, Auburn, LSU, USC, Ohio State and Scott Frost's Oregon, just to name a few of the 100 teams ranked below us in third down conversion.

Mic drop, exit stage right.

Where did the notion come from that Scott Frost's ties to Nebraska are an invaluable asset? Does anyone really think that? Has anyone actually said that?

History with a program is just another piece of the puzzle that must be weighed and measured. The point I've always argued is a coaching candidate's experience should be more valuable than what they may have done as a player or whatever their history with the university may be.

If a candidate happens to have ties to Nebraska - great. Added bonus.

But look who he was coached by. He was coached by one of the best in Tom Osborne. Obviously Frost and TO still have a relationship to this very day. Obviously TO has been a great influence is still a mentor so I'm thinking that his Nebraska ties especially when it comes to the coach he was privileged enough to have played for and be coached by is definitely not just a good thing but a seriously great thing.

He was also coached and has learned from Bill Walsh at Stanford, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck and of course again he was coached and has learned from one of the greatest college football coaches in the history of college football at Nebraska.

osborne_gill1_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b8

Just to clarify, I wasn't criticizing the résumé he is building or his ties to Nebraska. I'm just pointing out that having ties to Nebraska as a former player, to me, is more of an added bonus than a significant contributing factor. And despite what some other people here think, I don't believe Nebraska is a place to cut your teeth as a first time head coach.

History with a program is just another piece of the puzzle that must be weighed and measured. The point I've always argued is a coaching candidate's experience should be more valuable than what they may have done as a player or whatever their history with the university may be.

But look who he was coached by. He was coached by one of the best in Tom Osborne. Obviously Frost and TO still have a relationship to this very day. Obviously TO has been a great influence is still a mentor so I'm thinking that his Nebraska ties especially when it comes to the coach he was privileged enough to have played for and be coached by is definitely not just a good thing but a seriously great thing.

He was also coached and has learned from Bill Walsh at Stanford, Bill Parcells, Bill Belicheck and of course again he was coached and has learned from one of the greatest college football coaches in the history of college football at Nebraska.

Just to clarify, I wasn't criticizing the résumé he is building or his ties to Nebraska. I'm just pointing out that having ties to Nebraska as a former player, to me, is more of an added bonus than a significant contributing factor. And despite what some other people here think, I don't believe Nebraska is a place to cut your teeth as a first time head coach.

Yeah I didn't think you were criticizing his resume. I was just pointing out that Frost really was more than just a former Nebraska player in that he is still confiding in Coach Osborne to this day so he obviously learned quite a bit from TO while he played under him and was around him. He's learned from the best in other words in Osborne and of course under the other great coaches he's had the privilege of being around.

I would take SF cutting his teeth at Nebraska over Mike Riley, Mark Banker and Danny Langsdorf any day of the week. Frost is also a helluva recruiter also and obviously not in the twilight of his career staring at the end of the road as far as coaching like Riley is. In the long term Riley is just a short term fix whereas Scott Frost is basically the complete opposite and offers much, much more as far as the future of a program is concerned.

After watching how things unfolded this season along with knowing what Riley's past record has been I would take the chance of Scott Frost cutting his teeth at Nebraska in a heart beat.

Yeah I didn't think you were criticizing his resume. I was just pointing out that Frost really was more than just a former Nebraska player in that he is still confiding in Coach Osborne to this day so he obviously learned quite a bit from TO while he played under him and was around him. He's learned from the best in other words in Osborne and of course under the other great coaches he's had the privilege of being around.

I would take SF cutting his teeth at Nebraska over Mike Riley, Mark Banker and Danny Langsdorf any day of the week. Frost is also a helluva recruiter also and obviously not in the twilight of his career staring at the end of the road as far as coaching like Riley is. In the long term Riley is just a short term fix whereas Scott Frost is basically the complete opposite and offers much, much more as far as the future of a program is concerned.

After watching how things unfolded this season along with knowing what Riley's past record has been I would take the chance of Scott Frost cutting his teeth at Nebraska in a heart beat.

I think it's fair to question the Riley hire so I won't argue against you there. People have brought up some very valid points in this regard.

From my perspective, however, we tried out the whole coach cutting his teeth here and didn't work. To what extent would we have allowed Frost to figure it out? Would his shortcomings, which every coach has, overwhelmed his positives?

There are just a lot of questions even with Frost's growing list of experience. But, I will always be hesitant for a first time head coach to take over at Nebraska. Now that he has been at UCF, if he has success, I will be much more open to bringing him here. I think people mistake my criticism for dislike of Frost and that's definitely not true. I've always appreciated what he did here and think he has potential to be a great coach.

• Fire 1

Great post Enhance. I can definitely understand someone's hesitancy in taking on a first time coach. The only thing I think/feel is that just because it didn't work out with Bo for example doesn't necessarily mean it won't work for another first time coach. I just think Bo is a sucky head coach. He's a whole other beast/topic actually.

It did however work out for Tom Osborne (among others). He became Devaney's offensive coordinator after starting his career off as an unpaid offensive assistant. When Devaney retired he handed over the reigns to Osborne who at the time had zero head coaching experience. There are other legendary/successful college coaches past and present who also started at major programs with no head coaching experience. Other sports as well. Pat Summitt in women's college basketball comes to mind. It really isn't a new thing.

As is every good OC.

were we better on 3rd and long or 3rs and short this year? Shall I pull the quote where riley "jokingly" said he preferred to be in 3rd and long based on the year so far?

As for the yardage comparisons, let me know when the NCAA starts deciding outcomes on that rather than points.

I can't tell if you're trying to convince me or yourself that Langs and Riley are great offensive coaches...

But look who he was coached by. He was coached by one of the best in Tom Osborne. Obviously Frost and TO still have a relationship to this very day. Obviously TO has been a great influence and is still a mentor so I'm thinking that his Nebraska ties especially when it comes to the coach he was privileged enough to have played for and be coached by is definitely not just a good thing but a seriously great thing.

And I thought l had a problem letting bills pile up...

Given the state of the Nebraska football program, I would gladly accept Scott Frost to be our head coach any day and give him whatever time he needed to coach here. He's so young that he can only learn and grow in the position and he could be here for a long time, which is very rare these days in college football. Invest in the young coach and watch him grow. Will he fall short? Absolutely, but like I along with many others have stated, I will take a Frost 5-7 Nebraska team over a 5-7 Riley team. Why? Because Frost is 40 and Riley is 62. Riley is what he is, Frost can grow and learn and get better. Also, Frost being so young I could look at 5 years down the road and be excited about what he has built. 5 years down the road with Riley and he's retired.

I am excited to see how UCF does, and will most definitely follow UCF football. I expect Frost to be at Nebraska in 2 years. Hopefully he has built a good recruiting ground in Florida by then.

Oh and I see his first hire with his staff is a former Nebraska football player. He very well could reunite former Nebraska players, ultimately with the goal of all of them returning to coach at their school.

• Fire 1

Great post Enhance. I can definitely understand someone's hesitancy in taking on a first time coach. The only thing I think/feel is that just because it didn't work out with Bo for example doesn't necessarily mean it won't work for another first time coach. I just think Bo is a sucky head coach. He's a whole other beast/topic actually.

It did however work out for Tom Osborne (among others). He became Devaney's offensive coordinator after starting his career off as an unpaid offensive assistant. When Devaney retired he handed over the reigns to Osborne who at the time had zero head coaching experience. There are other legendary/successful college coaches past and present who also started at major programs with no head coaching experience. Other sports as well. Pat Summitt in women's college basketball comes to mind. It really isn't a new thing.

Very true, and I can't really argue against that line of thinking. I think it really comes down to what direction you lean and there's really nothing wrong with either line of thought. I would just rather play it safe when it comes to a head coaching hire and you inherently take on more risk with a 1st time head coach.

There is a difference between Frost becoming a 1st year HC and Osborne becoming a 1st year HC. Osborne was a part of the staff for the team he took over and knew the situation he was getting into, Frost wouldn't. The same was with Pat Summit, she was a grad assistant for Tennessee when she got promoted to HC. She knew the dynamics of the team that she took over.

There are definitely examples of 1st time HCs that had nothing to do with a team that they took over and excelled. Are we willing to take that chance again. I'm not. I know Riley didn't light it on fire here this last year but he at least has experience on how to deal with things. That is currently what we need right now. Now, if Riley had hired Frost as OC and then passed him the reins after 4-5 yrs, I wouldn't have an issue with Frost being a first yr HC here.

• Fire 5