*** 2019 Recruiting ***

Sprint to the finish.  21 commits right now.  25 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30 - though a couple might be grad transfers.

Current Scholarships/Commits

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
RB - 3 - RAHMIR JOHNSON, RONALD THOMPKINS,  JUCO DEDRICK MILLS
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASEZay FlowersJarrad Baker, Winston Wright
TE - 1-2 - CHRIS HICKMANSkylar Loving-Black
OT - 3-44 - MATTHEW ANDERSONMICHAEL LYNNBRYCE BENHART, Jimmy Fritzsche
OG/C - 1 - JUCO DESMOND BLAND

NT - 1-2 - JUCO TONY FAIR
DE - 3-4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMTy RobinsonBrant Banks
ILB - 2-3 - JACKSON HANNAHNICK HENRICH

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT SNODGRASSGARRETT NELSONJUCO Dru Mathis, Lloyd Summerall, JUCO Amare Barno

CB - 2-3 - QUINTON NEWSOMEJAVIN WRIGHTTavian MayoMyles BellJamel Starks
S - 2 - MYLES FARMERNoa Pola-GatesJosh SanguinettiJUCO Markquese Bell

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, Nance, Hickman, Bland, Fair, Henrich, Nelson

Edited by Mavric
Updated
  • Plus1 1

I  don't disagree Mav - at this point, we could use 44 OTs. 

Edit: Are we recruiting anyone still at OG? Considering Bland is far from solid, and that he's a JUCO, you think we'd want someone younger for some roster balance. Unless they think they can slide one of our OTs inside. 

Edit2: Looking at our depth chart according to the final week of the season, we have three (3) players between LG, C, and RG that are not seniors, and one of those is a walk-on who has never actually played in a game. That is... concerning to only take one player and for it to be a JUCO. 

• Haha 1

It would be hard to get to the top 15 - however all class ranks aren't the same.  Juco's are always going to be under-ranked and based on Mav's nice chart we may have 5 or 6 this class.  Also stud lineman typically don't get the same rating as stud skill players.  Guessing most of those teams that keep consistently hitting the top 15 don't grab juco's too often.

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

I  don't disagree Mav - at this point, we could use 44 OTs. 

Edit: Are we recruiting anyone still at OG? Considering Bland is far from solid, and that he's a JUCO, you think we'd want someone younger for some roster balance. Unless they think they can slide one of our OTs inside. 

Edit2: Looking at our depth chart according to the final week of the season, we have three (3) players between LG, C, and RG that are not seniors, and one of those is a walk-on who has never actually played in a game. That is... concerning to only take one player and for it to be a JUCO. 

I haven't seen much for interior linemen right now.  With Jurgens moving there and the possibility of Piper going there as well, I don't think they're that worried.  Plus I think Farniok would move inside if we get enough help on the outside.  So I think it's pretty much OTs for this year.

Part of that is just because we have a lot of seniors.  Raridon, Bland, Wilson, Bando, WFarniok and Jurgens plus possibly Piper and MFarniok is a pretty good set to choose from.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I haven't seen much for interior linemen right now.  With Jurgens moving there and the possibility of Piper going there as well, I don't think they're that worried.  Plus I think Farniok would move inside if we get enough help on the outside.  So I think it's pretty much OTs for this year.

Part of that is just because we have a lot of seniors.  Raridon, Bland, Wilson, Bando, WFarniok and Jurgens plus possibly Piper and MFarniok is a pretty good set to choose from.

Any thoughts on if we're going to be able to hold off FSU for Bland. I feel like that would be a hit even with the depth you listed. I suppose off season development will speak to this a lot. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sprint to the finish.  21 commits right now.  24 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30 - though a couple might be grad transfers.

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASEZay FlowersJarrad Baker, Jalen Cropper
OT - 3-44 - MATTHEW ANDERSONMICHAEL LYNNBRYCE BENHART

DE - 3-4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMTy RobinsonBrant Banks, Lloyd Summerall

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT SNODGRASSGARRETT NELSONJUCO Dru Mathis

ATH - Jalen Cropper

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, Nance, Hickman, Bland, Fair, Nelson

Do they really think summerall can grow into DE? We really need a stand up pass rusher at olb.

13 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Do they really think summerall can grow into DE? We really need a stand up pass rusher at olb.

No, I should probably change that.  I'm pretty sure he'll be an OLB for us.  

I usually go with what the recruiting sites list guys at unless I see for sure we're recruiting them for a different spot.  I guess I don't remember seeing anything specifically for him but he's got to be an OLB.

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Mavric said:

Sprint to the finish.  21 commits right now.  24 open spots plus however many over-signs.  Word is we are taking 30 - though a couple might be grad transfers.

QB - 1 - LUKE McCAFFREY
WR - 3-4 - JAMIE NANCEDARIEN CHASEZay FlowersJarrad Baker, Jalen Cropper
OT - 3-44 - MATTHEW ANDERSONMICHAEL LYNNBRYCE BENHART

DE - 3-4 - ETHAN PIPER, MOSAI NEWSOMTy RobinsonBrant Banks

OLB - 2-3 - GARRETT SNODGRASSGARRETT NELSONJUCO Dru Mathis, Lloyd Summerall

Early Enrollees: McCaffrey, Mills, Nance, Hickman, Bland, Fair, Henrich, Nelson

So, remind me again how early enrollees affect the number of recruits we can take.  If I remember right, they can count towards last year's class.  But, that's only if last year's class has room.

Do all early enrollees count towards last year's class?  If they don't, do they pay their own way for this semester and then go on scholarship starting in the summer?

If not all, how many of these will count towards last year?  Right now, this lists 8.  So, if all fo them would count to last year, doesn't that actually make it possible to take 36 recruits in 2019?  25+8 early enrollees+3 over sign.  

I don't expect us to take that many.  But, isn't that how the numbers would be?

Of course, all that has to stay under the 85 limit.

Thanks,

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, remind me again how early enrollees affect the number of recruits we can take.  If I remember right, they can count towards last year's class.  But, that's only if last year's class has room.

Do all early enrollees count towards last year's class?  If they don't, do they pay their own way for this semester and then go on scholarship starting in the summer?

If not all, how many of these will count towards last year?  Right now, this lets 8.  So, if all fo them would count to last year, doesn't that actually make it possible to take 36 recruits in 2019?  25+8 early enrollees+3 over sign.  

I don't expect us to take that many.  But, isn't that how the numbers would be?

Thanks,

You are "limited" to 25 signees per class but you can back-count early enrollees against last year's numbers.  We are looking to take up to 30 in this class but they may save a couple spots for grad transfers.  So we would need to be able to count up to five early enrollees back to last year's class.  I don't think you have to count all early enrollees as going back to last year's class.  As I understand it you "may" count them back.

Last year we signed 23 guys so we already have two open spots that we can back-count out of this class.  Then last year's early enrollees can be back-counted to the prior year.  In 2017 we only signed 18 so we have plenty of room to back-count three guys from last year's class to 2017 which would give five spots from last year's class to back-count this year's early enrollees and make all the numbers work out.

Without getting too into-the-woods on the numbers, I think your example is pretty much correct.  In 2016 we signed 21 so we could back-count (at least) 4 from 2017 to 2016.  So we would have (at least) 11 open spots in the 2017 class to back-count 2018 guys.  Just looking through this thread, it appears that Martinez, Bell, Woodyard, Farniok, McGriff, Honas, DWilliams and Pickering enrolled early so those 8 could be back-counted to 2017.  That would leave (at least) 10 spots open in 2018 to back-count this year's early enrollees.

The over-sign number is apparently more fluid than I realized it was before last year.  Basically the coaches can turn in an "expected" roster number and work from that.  So it could be more than 3.  So we could have 25 regular spots plus (at least) 10 back-counted early enrollees to last year plus 3-5 over-signs.  So we could push 40 if we really wanted to.

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You are "limited" to 25 signees per class but you can back-count early enrollees against last year's numbers.  We are looking to take up to 30 in this class but they may save a couple spots for grad transfers.  So we would need to be able to count up to five early enrollees back to last year's class.  I don't think you have to count all early enrollees as going back to last year's class.  As I understand it you "may" count them back.

Last year we signed 23 guys so we already have two open spots that we can back-count out of this class.  Then last year's early enrollees can be back-counted to the prior year.  In 2017 we only signed 18 so we have plenty of room to back-count three guys from last year's class to 2017 which would give five spots from last year's class to back-count this year's early enrollees and make all the numbers work out.

Without getting too into-the-woods on the numbers, I think your example is pretty much correct.  In 2016 we signed 21 so we could back-count (at least) 4 from 2017 to 2016.  So we would have (at least) 11 open spots in the 2017 class to back-count 2018 guys.  Just looking through this thread, it appears that Martinez, Bell, Woodyard, Farniok, McGriff, Honas, DWilliams and Pickering enrolled early so those 8 could be back-counted to 2017.  That would leave (at least) 10 spots open in 2018 to back-count this year's early enrollees.

The over-sign number is apparently more fluid than I realized it was before last year.  Basically the coaches can turn in an "expected" roster number and work from that.  So it could be more than 3.  So we could have 25 regular spots plus (at least) 10 back-counted early enrollees to last year plus 3-5 over-signs.  So we could push 40 if we really wanted to.

Do they have to enroll early to count towards last year?