Gun Control

13 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

This.  Similarly, I've always thought state senators and/or governors who vote for the death penalty should be required to witness one being carried out.

10 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

That would actually be pretty cool

My idea has always been to televise them on all the major networks. Sort of a mixture of a Presidential address and the fictitious Running Man movie. They would break into your regular programming with an official notice like in the book 1984.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

My idea has always been to televise them on all the major networks. Sort of a mixture of a Presidential address and the fictitious Running Man movie. They would break into your regular programming with an official notice like in the book 1984.

I’d be more than fine with having my older ones watch and let them know that if you turn out to be a major piece of s#!t and kill people, this is the reward you get.   

I wonder what the ratings would be??  I’m guessing pretty darn high. 

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I’d be more than fine with having my older ones watch and let them know that if you turn out to be a major piece of s#!t and kill people, this is the reward you get.   

I wonder what the ratings would be??  I’m guessing pretty darn high. 

It’s nothing I’d want to see but it might help some people actually experience the effects of their preferences. I think the viewership would be pretty good. I mean plenty of people (not me) watch reality TV and things like Smackdown/Raw. Heck I won’t watch anything that has commercials anymore except for sports.

33 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Can someone post the actual bill and or reasoning behind the vote before saying that?  

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/2377/text

Republicans didn't like that the bill gave Federal Courts the power to take away guns. They want it left to states. Which, of course, is stupid.

Republicans are simply unserious about passing anything. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/2377/text

Republicans didn't like that the bill gave Federal Courts the power to take away guns. They want it left to states. Which, of course, is stupid.

Republicans are simply unserious about passing anything. 

They don't want one sweeping bill so that they can then fight it on the state levels where they have majorities in many states.

Republicans don't support red flag laws.  I think that's pretty clear.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

They don't want one sweeping bill so that they can then fight it on the state levels where they have majorities in many states.

Republicans don't support red flag laws.  I think that's pretty clear.

Exactly. 

They simply want a bill to that leaves it up to states to implement whatever weak law eventually gets through Congress. Gun loving states will simply chip away at and dull the law over time. They also have the court system ready to backup whatever they want to do at the state level. 

So, in a few short years, we'll be back to where we are now. Republicans have simply accepted that having children blasted to the point their bodies are unrecognizable is worth gun ownership.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Every state should have the death penalty.  There are people that do things that demand execution.  Everyone knows it and believes it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Parker_Ray

A wouldn't shed a tear for some of those guys. 

It's a religious or moral objection for some. But I think much of the fight against the death penalty comes from the fact that a) we've executed innocent men more often than we'd like to admit and b) the application of the death penalty has long had a racial component.

None other than Justice Anton Scalia declared Henry McCollum "a poster case for the death penalty" but Scalia lived just long enough to see McCollum exonerated 20 years after his imprisonment. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/01/arizona-death-row-supreme-court-shinn-innocence/

• Plus1 2