What did we learn-Wyoming edition

JJ Husker

I know some hated Gerry's hand off, but I liked it. It's been forever since we had a sh!t talking screw you defensive player capable of getting into the heads of opponents. For full disclosure, if he was on another team, I'd hate it. BUT NU needs that swagger.

I personally didn't hate it, but thought it was a jerk move. It's possible to do all those things you mentioned without getting penalized, like trash talk or... play good defense. He had just made an interception. That seems good enough to me to get into the opposing players' heads.

Honestly I think the WYO run D was better than we will see from Oregon

I would say they are having watched Oregon live last week. UC Davis ran right at Oregon.

Great. UC Davis visits Laramie next week...

Nice to see you hanging around this week, Virginian. I think most Husker fans sort of like Wyoming a bit too. (Well, maybe not the week we play. lol) Quite a few Wyoming players from the state of Nebraska over the years. Good luck with the season!

• Fire 1

I learned that we have no special teams. We should rush 11 on punts and forget about a return.

Against better competition, we will not be able to win by attrition and "wearing them down".

Our receivers are money. Solid across the board.

We are loaded at RB.

Tommy is and will always be Tommy.

I know some hated Gerry's hand off, but I liked it. It's been forever since we had a sh!t talking screw you defensive player capable of getting into the heads of opponents. For full disclosure, if he was on another team, I'd hate it. BUT NU needs that swagger.

I still have no real idea how good we are, can be or can't be. If we could put together 4 solid quarters (I haven't seen that in probably 15 years) we could easily win the West and give the East a fight in the B1G CC if not win.

Still unsure on the staff....

Great game as it was a win. Plus TO, since I can't remember.

Last week? :D

• Fire 1

What did we learn?

-For two games that were supposed to be glorified scrimmages according to some posters, the final outcome wasn't indicative of the game played for 3 quarters.

-Our O-Line, once they get snaps under their belt, will be good. Our center seems to be the weakest link, but considering how most snaps they were out-manned because of constant blitzing, the fact that there were only a couple of sacks and TFLs really is pretty good.

-Ogizbo is our best RB because of the O-Line's current state; however, if we had this year's RBs behind a more experienced O-Line, I believe Newby would be showing exceptional improvement. But since Newby is a finesse back that's having to power his way to yardage, he's always going to look inferior to Ogizbo until our O-Line matures and can run block more effectively for the RBs.

-Playcalling is better, but there's still too many head scratching calls for this staff (e.g. the stretch play w/Ozigbo, the pass play where Tommy went YOLO in the end zone). But it HAS improved and it appears that Riley and Co. have learned lessons. Let's hope this keeps up when we start seeing opponents that aren't "glorified scrimmages".

-For an 11am kickoff, the fans sounded great on TV. Here's hoping the fans shake the stadium when Oregon comes next week. If that requires someone spiking the Runzas with Geritol for the blue-hairs, then let's get the Iron N on this ASAP.

-Special teams gaffes have already been blown up something fierce in this thread already...but I am glad we have another quality kicker. Something we should never take for granted.

I get pretty damned sick of seeing people bag on Ben, Jake & Sam Cotton. They've been good Huskers.

I'd like to see suspensions for that kind of crap.

+1

Or Huskerboard just doles out the same punishment Ben Cotton took at the bottom of the pile vs. aTm in 2010?