Injury updates

mwj98

Well it is tough to hear we are so short on QBs. I am very disappointed that all of my dire warnings clear back in August about having POB ready to play and making sure we had serviceable QBs aplenty were apparently not heeded by Riley and Company. I know many on this board poo-pooed my feeling that playing POB was important THIS YEAR as a redshirt of one freshman QB is not worth losing several games or even one or two later on. Hopefully we make it through with the skin of our teeth! But ??? All we need is a simple blow to Darlington's head in the second quarter and we are in big trouble. Punting on first down is NOT a viable option, especially with our lackluster punting.

We lose this one to Iowa for want of a QB and Minne knocks off Wiscy and there will be lots of serious grumbling going on. This could end up costing us a good bowl spot and hurt the recruiting class as we attempt to finish out in the top ten vs outside the top twenty five.

I can't speak for the rest of the board, but I'm still okay pooh-poohing your dire warnings.

• Fire 4

I am very disappointed that all of my dire warnings clear back in August about having POB ready to play and making sure we had serviceable QBs aplenty were apparently not heeded by Riley and Company.

who says he isn't ready to play if he has to? they won't burn his shirt at this point unless it is the only option left though. and actually...no one has said that tommy, ryker, or darlington is out for this weekend. and DPE also played highschool qb if i recall correctly. we may not be full strength...but we will have someone out there.

If POB's redshirt is burned on Friday, Riley needs to be fired on Saturday.

Can you explain your thoughts on this one... What should have Riley done differently?

I am very disappointed that all of my dire warnings clear back in August about having POB ready to play and making sure we had serviceable QBs aplenty were apparently not heeded by Riley and Company.

who says he isn't ready to play if he has to? they won't burn his shirt at this point unless it is the only option left though. and actually...no one has said that tommy, ryker, or darlington is out for this weekend. and DPE also played highschool qb if i recall correctly. we may not be full strength...but we will have someone out there.

Everyone knows redshirting means you don't talk to the guy. POB during practice was relegated to the portajohn and not allowed to come out until everyone had left the field.

:)

Not sure why people are so obsessed with the "experience" that 5 minutes of garbage time would give a backup QB

• Fire 4

Honestly, experience is fine and dandy...but there are quite a few examples in the past few years of Freshman QB's who have never played a snap coming in and just owning things.

Ability doesn't care what year you are in college or how many games you have started. You just play bizalls out.

Yep. Experience is over-rated, imo. Either you can play or you can't.

It's not un-important. But it's one piece of the puzzle. Talent >>> experience. Experience can help you get better. But without talent, you can only go so far.

That's why TA is basically the same QB as a senior that he was as a freshman (from a throwing/decision-making standpoint). His talents only get him so far. Having four years of experience has really not made much difference.

• Fire 1

Honestly, experience is fine and dandy...but there are quite a few examples in the past few years of Freshman QB's who have never played a snap coming in and just owning things.

Ability doesn't care what year you are in college or how many games you have started. You just play bizalls out.

Agree. But my guess is that if Mike Riley thought Patrick o'brien was the second best qb available he wouldn't have redshirted him.

There's a really good chance POB isn't exactly owning things in practice yet, and Fyfe is a much safer bet.

• Fire 1

That snap that Ryker took, looked a little "heavy" to me when he grabbed a hold of that ball. I'm probably reading into it and having a hard time describing it, but it didn't look real comfortable with that brace. Hopefully TA can start so we don't have to worry too much, that doesn't mean he's going to be able to finish the game though. *crosses fingers* I hope he can start and does get us a W in Iowa City.

That snap that Ryker took, looked a little "heavy" to me when he grabbed a hold of that ball. I'm probably reading into it and having a hard time describing it, but it didn't look real comfortable with that brace. Hopefully TA can start so we don't have to worry too much, that doesn't mean he's going to be able to finish the game though. *crosses fingers* I hope he can start and does get us a W in Iowa City.

Immediately thought the same. He did not like grabbing that ball. Looked painful.

• Fire 1

Immediately thought the same. He did not like grabbing that ball. Looked painful.

Ditto. Tommy looked to be favoring that left leg when jogging too.

Edit: Just realized how Tommy's brace was constructed and I'm sure that has something to do with it.

• Fire 1