OWH: Top Five Storylines Going Into Spring Practice

Mavric

Nebraskas running game in 2016 generally got worse as the season progressed. NU averaged 6.6 yards per carry in a 24-13 win over Northwestern then never again eclipsed 5 yards per carry that season.

In losses to Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee, Nebraska outright abandoned the run NUs struggling defense had something to do with that and gained 78, 90 and 61 yards, respectively. The 61 yards against Tennessee was NUs second-lowest output of the Big Ten era. In Rileys two seasons, Nebraska rushed for fewer than 100 yards five times; from 2011-2014, it happened twice.

That's kind of a big deal.

Cavanaugh said the scholarship numbers NU has 17 linemen on scholarship, which doesnt include Conrad are closer to what he wants.

Uh, Cav, you have 20% of the roster tied to your position group. If you can't get it done with that many guys....

3 of those scholarship linemen shouldn't be on scholarship anymore.

Yeah, but NU doesn't cut dead weight. Here's hoping the RsFr guys progress quickly.
We should.
  • Fire 1

Nebraskas running game in 2016 generally got worse as the season progressed. NU averaged 6.6 yards per carry in a 24-13 win over Northwestern then never again eclipsed 5 yards per carry that season.

In losses to Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee, Nebraska outright abandoned the run NUs struggling defense had something to do with that and gained 78, 90 and 61 yards, respectively. The 61 yards against Tennessee was NUs second-lowest output of the Big Ten era. In Rileys two seasons, Nebraska rushed for fewer than 100 yards five times; from 2011-2014, it happened twice.

Cavanaugh said the scholarship numbers NU has 17 linemen on scholarship, which doesnt include Conrad are closer to what he wants.

Uh, Cav, you have 20% of the roster tied to your position group. If you can't get it done with that many guys....

3 of those scholarship linemen shouldn't be on scholarship anymore.

Yeah, but NU doesn't cut dead weight. Here's hoping the RsFr guys progress quickly.
We should.

Agreed. All 3 should have their degree by now. If they haven't contributed meaningfully in 3 seasons, they should graduate transfer somewhere else.

Line should be much better with a Healthy Gates, Foster, and Farmer alone. Not to mention a decent center in Raridon. Need to have Farniok and another backup at that RT spot take a leap. Would watch Wilson as well.

Not to get too wild, but I would like a scenario where Farniok is good enough to push Gates back to RT.

The Tennessee kid punished Gates, but when healthy, he's an exceptional LT in my opinion. Wouldn't hold my breath on Farniok pushing him this fall.

Nebraska’s running game in 2016 generally got worse as the season progressed. NU averaged 6.6 yards per carry in a 24-13 win over Northwestern — then never again eclipsed 5 yards per carry that season.

In losses to Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee, Nebraska outright abandoned the run — NU’s struggling defense had something to do with that — and gained 78, 90 and 61 yards, respectively. The 61 yards against Tennessee was NU’s second-lowest output of the Big Ten era. In Riley’s two seasons, Nebraska rushed for fewer than 100 yards five times; from 2011-2014, it happened twice.

Riley didn't have the luxury of Helu, Abdullah, or Burkhead neither.

If we are talking raw talent (recruiting ranking) at RB, Riley had more to work with and did less with it.

Nebraska’s running game in 2016 generally got worse as the season progressed. NU averaged 6.6 yards per carry in a 24-13 win over Northwestern — then never again eclipsed 5 yards per carry that season.

In losses to Ohio State, Iowa and Tennessee, Nebraska outright abandoned the run — NU’s struggling defense had something to do with that — and gained 78, 90 and 61 yards, respectively. The 61 yards against Tennessee was NU’s second-lowest output of the Big Ten era. In Riley’s two seasons, Nebraska rushed for fewer than 100 yards five times; from 2011-2014, it happened twice.

Cavanaugh said the scholarship numbers — NU has 17 linemen on scholarship, which doesn’t include Conrad — are closer to what he wants.

That 20% seems high however OL should have a 2-deep that is 75% or higher of upperclassmen. Our 2-deep is currently 50% FR and SO with that # likely to increase to 60 or 70% by the first game.

Gates in my view, is a way better RT then LT. getting an accurate throwing QB is paramount. When you talk about guys buying in and not buying in, if MR had brought in a transfer QB who threw accurately when he got here, i believe the team and program would have been better off. I also believe the team would have declared mutiny. in 2016 the mutiny wouldn't have happened, as tommy wasn't even elected captain. Tommy was/is a tuff guy but let's face it, when he ran the ball he got nicked up easily. he had some upside but also downside. To me, but probably not to the majority, i think MR tenure starts now. I will keep score on what he does from now on.

• Fire 1

20% of the scholarships is roughly the number of positions out of 22 the five linemen represent, particularly considering the fact that the center handles the ball more than any other player on the team and that position and depth thereof is as critical and vital as the QB if not more so. Throw in a 'deep snapper' and you really shiould have 3 true centers and atleast 1 long snapper on scholarship all the time, plus several walk ons and or 4th stringers who can fill in for a few plays in an emergency.

So, figure 4 centers, 6 tackles and 6 guards and that is just three deep at 16. Considering offensive line is probably the least likely position for a true or even redshirt freshman to actually play, that means you need to put those scolarships on sophs, juniors and seniors. Arguably therefore you need perhaps as many as 18 or 19 scholarships for those 5 spots. You can certainly have too many tight ends and wide receivers as those are more interchangeable and you will get fewer injuries and can rotate guys much more. O lines need to platoon so they maintain and develp cohesion and coordination and know each other's moves and calls, etc.

Teams need to build the team from the interior lines out as without a great line, you just won't win consistantly and be competitive against the top teams. The many comments on this board about the need to rebuild the pipeline are correct in my view. It all starts with the line. I don't believe I have ever once heard a head coach of any team at any level ever contradict this point.

Yikes. I was just posting the same thing as 84 before realizing he did it already. Gonna give the short version though.

22 + kicker + punter = 24

There are 5 lineman not counting TE.

5/24 = 20.83

Why does 20% of the roster seem like a big number?

It seems like a big number because Cav likes to play only the starting 5 all game every game.

• Fire 2

Line should be much better with a Healthy Gates, Foster, and Farmer alone. Not to mention a decent center in Raridon. Need to have Farniok and another backup at that RT spot take a leap. Would watch Wilson as well.

Not to get too wild, but I would like a scenario where Farniok is good enough to push Gates back to RT.

The Tennessee kid punished Gates, but when healthy, he's an exceptional LT in my opinion. Wouldn't hold my breath on Farniok pushing him this fall.

I thought he was better on the right side as a Freshman than he was on the left last year.

If we are talking raw talent (recruiting ranking) at RB, Riley had more to work with and did less with it.

I know Newby had the stars, but after four seasons under two coaches he never looked like the heir to Helu, Rex and Abdullah to my eye. Neither did Imani Cross. Riley did far more with Janovich that his predecessor, though I would have loved even more. And he brought Ozigbo in as a stop gap, which still might pan out.

I'm not ruling out an improved running game under Riley.

I know Newby had the stars, but after four seasons under two coaches he never looked like the heir to Helu, Rex and Abdullah to my eye. Neither did Imani Cross. Riley did far more with Janovich that his predecessor, though I would have loved even more. And he brought Ozigbo in as a stop gap, which still might pan out.

I'm not ruling out an improved running game under Riley.

I think Tre Bryant will be the true indicator of how Riley develops a RB

• Fire 1