Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why do I think they are going to turn the QB's into a bunch of Checkdown Charlies in this offense?

How do you get to that thought process from watching the clip in the tweet?

It's not watching the clip, it's the thought process of Langsdorf that is commented in the tweet.

When a coach is focusing more on limiting mistakes rather than making plays, it can hamper a QB's thought process. I know it's early, but there is a fine line between ensuring the QB making the right play and neutering him to where he's so afraid of making mistakes that he's not a "play maker" for the offense.

You're right. And, you seem to have jumped way out into "neutering him" for no apparent reason.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's for no reason. If you read comments from Langs over the last week, he brings something like this up almost all the time. Not making a bad play, short quick throws, etc. Riley has made some of the same comments.

So I think ColoradoHusk is correct in saying there's a fine line. And I think it's fair to wonder how that will look. Even some of the media guys were commenting on it in this last week, bringing up Sam Keller as Checkdown Charlie and how it led to Lucky being the leading receiver on the team.

We need to move more in that direction with our QB play. But you don't want to go too far either.

I saw tweets from the local media after they watched the first spring practice. Sipple was joking about how Lucky's single season reception record may not be safe with the amount of RB check downs that Lee had during the first practice.

Again, I am not saying there is never a place for that type of throw. It's important to make the right decision in an offensive play. However, there is a fine line between making the "safe" decision and the best decision.

• Fire 1

Why do I think they are going to turn the QB's into a bunch of Checkdown Charlies in this offense?

It's not watching the clip, it's the thought process of Langsdorf that is commented in the tweet.

When a coach is focusing more on limiting mistakes rather than making plays, it can hamper a QB's thought process. I know it's early, but there is a fine line between ensuring the QB making the right play and neutering him to where he's so afraid of making mistakes that he's not a "play maker" for the offense.

You're right. And, you seem to have jumped way out into "neutering him" for no apparent reason.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's for no reason. If you read comments from Langs over the last week, he brings something like this up almost all the time. Not making a bad play, short quick throws, etc. Riley has made some of the same comments.

So I think ColoradoHusk is correct in saying there's a fine line. And I think it's fair to wonder how that will look. Even some of the media guys were commenting on it in this last week, bringing up Sam Keller as Checkdown Charlie and how it led to Lucky being the leading receiver on the team.

We need to move more in that direction with our QB play. But you don't want to go too far either.

I saw tweets from the local media after they watched the first spring practice. Sipple was joking about how Lucky's single season reception record may not be safe with the amount of RB check downs that Lee had during the first practice.

Again, I am not saying there is never a place for that type of throw. It's important to make the right decision in an offensive play. However, there is a fine line between making the "safe" decision and the best decision.

With guys like Wilbon and Bryant, that is really exciting. It makes me think about what DL can do with the RB pass game when he has a QB with touch, think James White or Dion Lewis in the patriots system.

The comment in the tweet is....."It's not how many good plays you make, it's how many bad plays you dont!"

That does not mean that every play is going to be a check down. Sometimes the check down is the bad play. Sometimes the ten yard out is the play that isn't a bad one. Sometimes taking a sack is the play that isn't a bad one. Sometimes the crossing rout is the play that isn't a bad one.

The comment in the tweet is....."It's not how many good plays you make, it's how many bad plays you dont!"

That does not mean that every play is going to be a check down. Sometimes the check down is the bad play. Sometimes the ten yard out is the play that isn't a bad one. Sometimes taking a sack is the play that isn't a bad one. Sometimes the crossing rout is the play that isn't a bad one.

Yes, but there is more that we are talking about than just that one tweet.

Why is a RB run for 4 yards the best game plan in NU history and the RB screen pass for 4 yards the end of any chance that NU has a relevant offense?

Straw men are fun.

If you say so..... You're the man!!!

I do say so. And unless you can find where someone has actually said any of those things, I'm right.

• Fire 1

OH NO! Fire Diaco? JK!! I really hope to see some passes were I dont hold my breathe everytime we throw the ball.

Diaco sucks, who can we steal?

Well, that didn't take long. :facepalm:

Come on Wade, you're better than that.

I heard he's already been demoted to punter coach ............. :sarcasm

• Fire 1

Why is a RB run for 4 yards the best game plan in NU history and the RB screen pass for 4 yards the end of any chance that NU has a relevant offense?

Straw men are fun.

I do say so. And unless you can find where someone has actually said any of those things, I'm right.

People have constantly said that passing the ball is not the recipe for success. We need to run the ball damn it!!!!

Using the RBs and having plenty of short outs and those hard to stop 5 or 6 yard sideline & out of bounds pass plays can work a team down the field and get those first couple first downs which are the hardest to get a long drive going. If your offensive line is not 'over powering' and therefore struggles to simply push the line of scrimmage down the field relentlessly (we haven't had a consistant line push in a long time - like we showed for a couple quarters or so vs UCLA in the farmer bowl), then swing passes and screens and draws and etc are a possible substitute. You get the backs in some space and hopefully they are shifty enough with power to break a tackle and get enough gained to create that run or pass quandry for the defense on the next down.

The key is getting 4 plus on first down. The quick toss is very difficult to get a sack on and many teams are afraid to blitz on first down so your QB will have time to make a couple reads further down field. And if your playcalling includes some running plays on first downs as well, the defense will play you more honest. Now, 2nd and 7 or more is a likely throwing down for us without the power run game so teams will tend to want to rush hard so quick throws mixed with draws and inside screens or other similar plays will make the defense hesitate as well.

It seems reasonable to me that Riley and Langs will be game planning on these lines but with a good passer, they will take some shots 15 or 20 or even longer as well. IF (the key as many have said) the QB is completing more than 50% - 65% or goodness gracious 70% will be amazing in the positive outcomes for the offense - opponents will not be loading the box and single covering our best receivers. Teams will want to blitz our young QBs but only if they fail to complete the higher rates. We will be hard to stop and the run game will surprise some folks if teams truly do fear our passing game.

It has been decades since teams truly feared our passing and even then, they feared the 'surprise' pass as they continued to crowd the line in desperate attempts to stop our running. It seems to me with will present a very 'balanced' attack (a dreadful term for many observers) which can actually be quite effective. Those short passes also tend to be like runs in that they keep the clock running for time of possession and ball control benefits.

Let's all watch the spring game and the first few games this fall and then we can assess accordingly. I will remain positive based on the successful passing reports so far.

Straw men are fun.

People have constantly said that passing the ball is not the recipe for success. We need to run the ball damn it!!!!

I believe the sentiment is that a pass first offense is not the recipe for success.

OH NO! Fire Diaco? JK!! I really hope to see some passes were I dont hold my breathe everytime we throw the ball.

Diaco sucks, who can we steal?

Well, that didn't take long. :facepalm:

Come on Wade, you're better than that.

I heard he's already been demoted to punter coach ............. :sarcasm

#FourFifty