Lee vs. POB

The Great Husker QB Battle of 2017  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I didn't get to watch all of the Spring Game, but I did make it a point to watch the quarterbacks, and I only missed Bunch.

That said, I think all the others looked really good. I think Lee will be named the starter but O'Brien isn't that far behind him. And Gebbia...well, he is going to be pretty damn good when he finally gets his chance to play. Overall, the quarterback position is looking really excellent this year.

Riley left the door open a tad (atleast unlocked) as to Gebbia being in the QB race for this fall in his post game comments. He clearly indicated (as I have been stating for couple years now) that we need 3 (not just two) QBs ready and availbe for service this fall. He even suggested that the Gebbia redshirt was contingent on seeing the continued development and progression of Lee/POB and one other serviceable backup being available. It seems pretty clear that Gebbia is no less than our #3 QB and arguably it may be that we have about 3 co-number ones. There is very little difference between the three. Gebbia is awfully thin and perhaps not physically big and strong enough to take a lot of pounding yet but he certainly throws the ball as well as the others and is quite poised as Langs indicated was a very big part of the spring game 'test'.

We can realistically expect our starter to be injured at some point and will see the number 2 guy at some point. That could be game 1 or 2 or game 6 or 7 but it is highly likely. Once our first guy goes down, we are just one play away from playing our third stringer. If that guy is Z Darlington, for example, the prospects for winning games going forward would be reduced to slim and none. Most would agree. You NEED three deep at the minimum at the most critical positions to make it through the year.

I suggest Gebbia ONLY redshirts if he is NOT needed and it is more likely than not he will be needed. Will he play? Probably not but he must be ready to go in my view. If he is running the scout team all fall, he won't be ready to run our offense if called upon. We have 3 capable young QBs. all seperated by a year or so of eligibility. No need to save for the future when we are actively recruiting and getting top notch QBs to stay 5 years 'just in case' is hard enough these days. Let them play. There are more QBs to recruit for 3 or 4 years from now anyway.

What this doesn't take into account is that the starter could be injured on the first play or just flat stink it up. We're not choosing players for a video game.

​Will the 2nd string QB pout and leave is a modern question.

​And with our recent history it'll probably be Bunch backed up by a converted TE.

I guessed Tanner Lee but they all looked good and whoever the coach decides is okay with me.

I'm all in on Tanner Lee. POB and Gebbia looked good as well but Tanner is just the more polished one out of the bunch. Between Lee and POB, Lee to me anyways seems more mobile which I like. Not Armstrong like but in a way if the pocket collapsed, he'd have a better chance of gaining some yards.

He looks comfortable in the pocket, doesn't panic, waits for the receiver to get open and does his check downs. Really loved when he rolled out, stop, ran, stopped to pull it back in and threw a nice TD to Stroll.

Gebbia didn't look like a kid that should still be in high school right now. Had a lot of great passes but did throw some wobbly balls and missed his target either by throwing behind the receiver or a head.

I would redshirt Gebbia, allow him to grow and gain some weight. I feel comfortable with POB as a back up and even Bunch as our 3rd string. Gebbia is going to give everyone fits come 2018 though.

I think you're going to get more or less the same thing if either Lee or POB starts. Lee to me is the obvious starter simply due to experience.

As for Gebbia he went 28-45 with a TD and a pick. I thought both Lee and POB played much better but obviously Gebbia is behind the 8 ball as far as experience. He hit some throws but at the same time all 3 QB's at times had some pretty wide open guys to throw to yesterday against a pretty soft looking defense out there.

Truth be told I can't say I'm a fan of the new dink and dunk offense. It is strange times for me as a fan right now especially from an offensive perspective.

I think you're going to get more or less the same thing if either Lee or POB starts. Lee to me is the obvious starter simply due to experience.

As for Gebbia he went 19-30 with a TD and a pick. I thought both Lee and POB played much better but obviously Gebbia is behind the 8 ball as far as experience. He hit some throws but at the same time all 3 QB's at times had some pretty wide open guys to throw to yesterday against a pretty soft looking defense out there.

Truth be told I can't say I'm a fan of the new dink and dunk offense. It is strange times for me as a fan right now especially from an offensive perspective.

Similar to the defense, the offense was also pretty vanilla. Don't get too caught up in the spring game, the offense for actual games will look much different.

As for Gebbia he went 19-30 with a TD and a pick. I thought both Lee and POB played much better but obviously Gebbia is behind the 8 ball as far as experience. He hit some throws but at the same time all 3 QB's at times had some pretty wide open guys to throw to yesterday against a pretty soft looking defense out there.

Similar to the defense, the offense was also pretty vanilla. Don't get too caught up in the spring game, the offense for actual games will look much different.

Situationally yes. Make no mistake though. Nebraska is going to be a pro stye/passing emphasized team going forward. I know we'll still incorporate a running game obviously. Interesting stat. Nebraska threw the ball 95 times yesterday. They ran the ball 40 times.

Situationally yes. Make no mistake though. Nebraska is going to be a pro stye/passing emphasized team going forward. I know we'll still incorporate a running game obviously. Interesting stat. Nebraska threw the ball 95 times yesterday. They ran the ball 40 times.

that's not what Riley has said. Doubt we would see that in a real game. Riley has been quoted multiple times he wants to run the ball in a balance offense. We will be in the 50/50 range. Last year we were closer to 60/40 in favor of the run (57% runs I believe)

Maybe RB is more settled than QB?

It was also a practice.

Also, Gebbia was 28-45 for 268 yards.

Maybe RB is more settled than QB?

That's a good question.