Tristan Gebbia

I had forgotten about this, but remember the comments from Gebbia's dad last October.  

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/nebraska-mike-riley-part-ways-would-huge-mistake-tristan-gebbia-dad-says/77QkTyIeh29qeyAVR6e9mI/

I am sure Gebbia appreciated the fact he could compete with Martinez for the starting job under Frost, but we shouldn't be surprised that he decided to transfer.

19 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Jason Peter can be a jerk.

There's no denying that. There is a point in there though. Every time the NCAA talks about relaxing transfer rules, the immediate push back from coaches is the fear that making it too easy to transfer limits how much they can challenge players. Even with the rules being relatively strict we see high transfer rates, so their fears seem well founded.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think it should read "R.I.P. Failed Mike Riley Era"

I don't really understand all the butthurt in the comments about what he said.  It wasn't really a dig at us IMO.  Him and Gebbia were the primary recruits (maybe Dismuke and Tyjon) for the "Calabraska" thing so he's not really wrong.  Oh well, chalk it up to the cesspool that is twitter I suppose.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, RedSavage said:

I don't really understand all the butthurt in the comments about what he said.  It wasn't really a dig at us IMO.  Him and Gebbia were the primary recruits (maybe Dismuke and Tyjon) for the "Calabraska" thing so he's not really wrong.  Oh well, chalk it up to the cesspool that is twitter I suppose.

Initially it said RIP Nebraska, and it was then changed to Calabraska.  Regardless, I get that KJJ is hurting for his friend who lost the starting QB position.  I don't think anyone is "butthurt" and I have posted earlier in this thread that Gebbia leaving can be a positive for Nebraska.   I am not blaming Gebbia for looking out for himself, but if I were his father, I would have recommended he stick out this season and see where it takes him.  He chose otherwise, its a news item today, and people are commenting on it now.  It will blow over as we have so much to look forward to in this new era.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, NUance said:

While it's true Peter can sometimes be a jerk, I think he's right about this.  

Hard to know what happened behind the scenes. Gebbia might have thought he won the job and by not actually getting it he saw the writing on the walls. Frost and co. are going with their guy and maybe TG just thought regardless of what he did he was fighting a losing battle.

Doesnt mean he was crying or "took his ball and went home." He just saw the writing on the wall and made a business decision.

Of course we all like to say "WORK HARDER AND EARN IT" but we have all been in a work situation where no matter what you do, the boss isnt going to give you what you think you deserve so you move on.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Initially it said RIP Nebraska, and it was then changed to Calabraska.  Regardless, I get that KJJ is hurting for his friend who lost the starting QB position.  I don't think anyone is "butthurt" and I have posted earlier in this thread that Gebbia leaving can be a positive for Nebraska.   I am not blaming Gebbia for looking out for himself, but if I were his father, I would have recommended he stick out this season and see where it takes him.  He chose otherwise, its a news item today, and people are commenting on it now.  It will blow over as we have so much to look forward to in this new era.

Didn't see the initial tweet but I'm talking about all the comments on the tweet.  There is a lot of butthurt in those comments (maybe they were more directed towards the initial tweet).  Regardless, I think we will be fine and Gebbia made a choice that will probably end up paying off for him.  He wants to start and knows he has the skill set for it.  I don't fault him at all for it, personally.

1 hour ago, JKinney said:

These kinds of posts are REALLY hard to take at face value.  You can certainly argue that TG doesn't owe NU anything, but it's hard to argue that he is making the best decision for himself on transferring?  What you are in essence arguing is that it is smart for TG to do everything in his power to try to make it into the NFL (for the chance of making a lot more money).  Here are the statistics (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/estimated-probability-competing-professional-athletics).

So the average NCAA football player has a 1.6% chance of making the NFL, but for the sake of argument I will be generous, and say that TG has a 3.5% chance of making the NFL.  As it states on the NCAA's website, athletes best hope for future success is to GET A DEGREE.  The best decision for TB would be to use his football playing gifts to get a full ride scholarship and enter a school with the best academic support and graduation rates for football players (UNL is consistently near the top 10 in this).  Worst case scenario he would get a free college education and degree, best case scenario he would get drafted in the NFL.  I don't mean to pick on your post, but there are so many people trying to use a "free market analogy" or a "business analogy" to explain these points.  Basically your analogy would be more accurate as....Would you leave a company you have been working at for a year with one of the highest proven rates of employee promotion and profit-sharing for a 3.5% chance to make a lot more money at another company?

By staying at NU TG could end on Frost's staff in a few years. Why not learn from the most innovative coach in the business. You have to think long term.

28 minutes ago, brophog said:

There's no denying that. There is a point in there though. Every time the NCAA talks about relaxing transfer rules, the immediate push back from coaches is the fear that making it too easy to transfer limits how much they can challenge players. Even with the rules being relatively strict we see high transfer rates, so their fears seem well founded.

Not to mention coaches will be poaching other programs. I can image Saben losing a top cornerback, then trying to lure a top corner from another team. Do not ease the transfer rules. 

1 minute ago, MichiganDad3 said:

By staying at NU TG could end on Frost's staff in a few years. Why not learn from the most innovative coach in the business. You have to think long term.

Gebbia is thinking to go for the NFL.  He will have peak earning power in his 20s.  He can always fall back into coaching later on in life, and if he's smart enough and works hard enough, he will climb through those ranks pretty quickly.

Who knows if he even wants to go into coaching.  He's seen his dad be pretty successful in the business world (I have no idea what his dad really does), so he could very well end up doing something similar.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, MichiganDad3 said:

I agree that almost all long-term thinking by TG, it would be best if he would stay here and finish his degree, with some of the best academic support staff in D1 college football.  If he transferred out to somewhere else where he could get a full ride scholarship, AND better support academically more power to him.  As my original post states, I believe it would be a bad decision to transfer to a school with a lower graduation rate, and academic support staff to pursue an NFL dream that has a 1.6% chance of coming true. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, JKinney said:

I agree that almost all long-term thinking by TG, it would be best if he would stay here and finish his degree, with some of the best academic support staff in D1 college football.  If he transferred out to somewhere else where he could get a full ride scholarship, AND better support academically more power to him.  As my original post states, I believe it would be a bad decision to transfer to a school with a lower graduation rate, and academic support staff to pursue an NFL dream that has a 1.6% chance of coming true. 

Nothing like telling a kid to not pursue his dream.

• Plus1 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Tristan Gebbia