The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

19 minutes ago, Landlord said:

People in free countries are allowed to benefit and even profit off of their name and their association, and companies are allowed to view a powerful name/reputation as a bonus in hiring someone.

First of all, any law that would prevent an unprovable assertion of excess benefit because of your notoriety, and not because of any wrongdoing on any person's part, would frankly be a terrible law and very infringing on freedom. There's no clear way to draw a distinction between "bad" behavior and harmless behavior; I got an internship at my mom's work in college. Was I entirely and the most qualified? idk probably not. Did my mom lobby on my behalf? No. Did her being a long time employee at the company factor into the hiring decision and choosing me? Yeah, of course it did.

Second of all, in regards to, "...Hunter Biden wasn't at all qualified for the position he got.," .....are you sure? Have you ever actually looked that up?

- He graduated law school, took a position at MBNA after school and rose to executive vice president in two years.

- He worked in the USDOC for three years. 

- He was appointed by Bush to a spot on the board of directors for Amtrak, and was the board's vice chairman. Gave up the position when Biden was VP.

- Founded an investment firm in 2009 with partners.

- Applied to the Navy Reserves at 43.

- Founded another business investing Chinese capital out of the country, and in response to a ton of false Trump allegations way before Burisma, he stepped down from the board of directors of his own company.

- Was working as an attorney for a very high-profile law firm in NYC, and THEN joined the board of Burisma holdiings. 

So someone with experience as a lawyer, with being an executive and a board member of companies, with starting business, and with capital investment, wasn't AT ALL qualified for a board position at a big company? 

Amazing how people keep hiring Hunter, and you didn't mention but probably knew his ventures easily attract capital.  

@BigRedBuster  your allies think owning a hotel amounts to taking a bribe from the guests. 

A lot of replies about Hunter Biden, so just going to summarize.

Someone said "at all?", and yes I was being somewhat hyperbolic, but a person who graduates law school and serves on the board of a passenger train company is qualified to serve on the board of a foreign natural gas company - one of the largest in Ukraine? If you think Burisma hired Hunter based on much more than his last name, I've got a bridge in Ukraine to sell you.

But just because Burisma may have been trying to get favorable treatment from Joe Biden doesn't mean Joe Biden was favorable towards them. And all evidence indicates Joe Biden show no favorable treatment. And to head off being accused of being brainwashed by the left or right or space aliens, here's the Reuters article that IMO does the best job of capturing the different facets:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hunter-biden-ukraine/what-hunter-biden-did-on-the-board-of-ukrainian-energy-company-burisma-idUSKBN1WX1P7

1 minute ago, Moiraine said:

Maybe have it be the runner up in votes then people should still vote for whoever is running against Trump.

I agree that makes sense, but that'd be Bernie, and no way the Dems pick Bernie. But even if they did, you'd see outrage from the all the same parts of the party that were outraged when Bernie was leading.

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

A lot of replies about Hunter Biden, so just going to summarize.

Someone said "at all?", and yes I was being somewhat hyperbolic, but a person who graduates law school and serves on the board of a passenger train company is qualified to serve on the board of a foreign natural gas company - one of the largest in Ukraine? If you think Burisma hired Hunter based on much more than his last name, I've got a bridge in Ukraine to sell you.

But just because Burisma may have been trying to get favorable treatment from Joe Biden doesn't mean Joe Biden was favorable towards them. And all evidence indicates Joe Biden show no favorable treatment. And to head off being accused of being brainwashed by the left or right or space aliens, here's the Reuters article that IMO does the best job of capturing the different facets:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hunter-biden-ukraine/what-hunter-biden-did-on-the-board-of-ukrainian-energy-company-burisma-idUSKBN1WX1P7

to consult on legal issues yes. Not sure what that article does other than refute the narrative you are trying to sell completely. There is no there there and I have no clue why you are spending any time playing devils advocate especially considering this has been discussed numerous times on here and you have never argued the point you are arguing now, a point usually only argued by the likes of ND Joe. No one said you have been brainwashed by aliens but its clear your view on Biden is tinged by the left wing anti Biden content. 

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

to consult on legal issues yes.

There's 1.35 million lawyers in the US (link), and you think Hunter got hired to consult on issues in a field he had never worked in?

Not sure what that article does other than refute the narrative you are trying to sell completely. There is no there there and I have no clue why you are spending any time playing devils advocate especially considering this has been discussed numerous times on here and you have never argued the point you are arguing now, a point usually only argued by the likes of ND Joe.

What narrative am I trying to sell? I'm curious what you think I'm saying since I've been clear that I consider this to be a systemic, societal issue that's not just about the Bidens. And I've also said that it's a difficult one to legislate.

No one said you have been brainwashed by aliens but its clear your view on Biden is tinged by the left wing anti Biden content. 

Yep, that must be it. Your opinion is correct, so mine must be "tinged". And that left-wing, anti-Biden Reuters content is especially bad, amirite?

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's 1.35 million lawyers in the US (link), and you think Hunter got hired to consult on issues in a field he had never worked in? yes. There doesn't seem to be any evidence to the contrary. 

What narrative am I trying to sell? I'm curious what you think I'm saying since I've been clear that I consider this to be a systemic, societal issue that's not just about the Bidens. And I've also said that it's a difficult one to legislate. That Hunter Biden had no qualifications and was only hired for his name. 

Yep, that must be it. Your opinion is correct, so mine must be "tinged". And that left-wing, anti-Biden Reuters content is especially bad, amirite? you are saying things here that are refuted by the reuters article you posted. Nothing in the Rueters article supports the point you have been trying to make, in fact it does the opposite. 

This is an edit but let me make clear I don't think you are swayed by left wing media because you are using Rueters as a source, I think you are being swayed by left wing media because you are making this point that you have never made before despite this being discussed many times over here. That Rueters article has probably been posted on here 5 other times and you never pulled this conclusion before. But now Hunter was unqualified and they were just hiring him for his name which is something that is wrong and Bidens won't do anything to fix. Hmmm

It's not difficult to legislate; it's impossible to legislate. Hunter Biden's name and father are part of him and his sell/draw as an individual, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that (laws only work towards inherent properties; laws do not work in the realm of subjectivity/context/motivation), nor is there a practical way to forbid it that isn't completely unconstitutional.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

to consult on legal issues yes. Not sure what that article does other than refute the narrative you are trying to sell completely. There is no there there and I have no clue why you are spending any time playing devils advocate especially considering this has been discussed numerous times on here and you have never argued the point you are arguing now, a point usually only argued by the likes of ND Joe. No one said you have been brainwashed by aliens but its clear your view on Biden is tinged by the left wing anti Biden content. 

I'm hearing a lot of people pointing out that Hunter Biden, WENT TO LAW SCHOOL :koolaid2:

But no one is alleging that Hunter was Burisma's lawyer.  I haven't heard if Hunter even tried a case. 

I got my first job because of my last name, I have no doubt. I mowed for the school during the summer, one kid got the job.  The head custodian knew my dad wouldn’t let me skip work or slack off.  His son was also good friends with my older sister.

i was qualified for the job, but so were 3 or 4 other kids that applied.  But in small towns, family reputation matters. Apparently on a global level too.

39 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I got my first job because of my last name, I have no doubt. I mowed for the school during the summer, one kid got the job.  The head custodian knew my dad wouldn’t let me skip work or slack off.  His son was also good friends with my older sister.

i was qualified for the job, but so were 3 or 4 other kids that applied.  But in small towns, family reputation matters. Apparently on a global level too.

Heck yeah it does.