[Poll/Discussion] Are you optimistic or pessimistic in regards to the 2017 season?

Optimism or pessimism?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Interesting that a 6-6 season two years after a 6-7 season is not considered a massive failure.

To say nothing of 6-6 not actually being the expectation.

I think everyone would consider a 6-6 season a failure, especially the people who seem to be expecting a 6-6 season.

The slightly different question is what would it take to get Riley fired after Game 12 this season.

And I'm not sure why we'd be that cranky in July about a season that hasn't been played yet.

Redux was the one who said 6-6 wasn't necessarily a massive failure, though he's since backed off that so perhaps he didn't word it how he wanted to. But he said it would take a massive failure for us to have a new coach and said 6-6 was expected and Riley would be back after that so that implies that 6-6 was not a massive failure.

He gets another year even if we go the expected 6-6. Then in 2018 we will win 10 games because of talent influx alone and he will get to end up retiring here.

Nobody should get their hopes up we get a new coach anytime soon. It would take a massive failure or scandal to achieve that.

I don't think Riley will be out for 7-5 or better. It will be very interesting to see what happens if we go 6-6. I don't think that's very likely to happen but it wouldn't be a shock if it did.

I'm optimistic because I think we will have a defense that is excited about what our new DC is selling and we finally have a quarterback that can consistently complete passes (IF the receivers can catch them!). I just want to believe in these kids. So many are naysaying them-the need to know that there are a few of us that think they have a chance.

Interesting that a 6-6 season two years after a 6-7 season is not considered a massive failure.

I think everyone would consider a 6-6 season a failure, especially the people who seem to be expecting a 6-6 season.

The slightly different question is what would it take to get Riley fired after Game 12 this season.

And I'm not sure why we'd be that cranky in July about a season that hasn't been played yet.

Redux was the one who said 6-6 wasn't necessarily a massive failure, though he's since backed off that so perhaps he didn't word it how he wanted to. But he said it would take a massive failure for us to have a new coach and said 6-6 was expected and Riley would be back after that so that implies that 6-6 was not a massive failure.
I consider 6-6 a failure

I consider 8-4 a failure

You chose to read it how you wanted to. IMO a MASSIVE failure would be 4-8 or worse. Please don't respond only to the words you want to, you knew exactly what I was implying from the get go.

The main reason I'm optimistic is beacuase of what we didn't return.

This is gonna be another weird year that frustrates us all idn't it?

Riley better hope not!
He gets another year even if we go the expected 6-6. Then in 2018 we will win 10 games because of talent influx alone and he will get to end up retiring here.

Nobody should get their hopes up we get a new coach anytime soon. It would take a massive failure or scandal to achieve that.

The reason I said 6-6 is because that's the measuring stick the national pundits have put on us this season. 6 or 7 wins is expected. I consider that a failure.

I really shouldn't have had to spell this out this far.

Pessimistic only because my expectations are low. Purely because of the lower number of experienced starters. With that in my mind I think it has given me a weird, not stressed about the season feel. I am open to whatever comes and will try to really enjoy it more so than the last few seasons.

GBR

I consider 6-6 a failure

I consider 8-4 a failure

You chose to read it how you wanted to. IMO a MASSIVE failure would be 4-8 or worse. Please don't respond only to the words you want to, you knew exactly what I was implying from the get go.

I wasn't choosing anything. That is exactly what you wrote. Maybe you didn't mean it that way and that's not that big of a deal. But you said he gets another year "even if he goes the expected 6-6." You said it would take a "massive failure" for us to get a new coach. So if he's back even if he goes 6-6, that must not necessarily be a massive failure. Now we can spend some time semanticing "massive" if you want.

But I wasn't trying to take a jab at you. I was just explaining to Guy why I posted why I did.

I consider 6-6 a failure

I consider 8-4 a failure

I wasn't choosing anything. That is exactly what you wrote. Maybe you didn't mean it that way and that's not that big of a deal. But you said he gets another year "even if he goes the expected 6-6." You said it would take a "massive failure" for us to get a new coach. So if he's back even if he goes 6-6, that must not necessarily be a massive failure. Now we can spend some time semanticing "massive" if you want.

But I wasn't trying to take a jab at you. I was just explaining to Guy why I posted why I did.

We have been semanticing for 7 years before Riley, one 4 loss season is not like the other.

To me, 6-6 is a pretty massive failure yes. But I don't see it being enough that Riley is fired, even 5-7 if we get dealt yet another sh**ty hand of injuries. Where this program is right now, 6-6 isn't a "massive" failure...it's just another failure.

Optimistic. Can't you guys just enjoy the season, and stop worrying about how to get the coach out the door before practice has even started.

He's not going anywhere. Nebraska will win at least 8 games this year and he will easily be retained with that record. I'm a guy that expects to see major results by year 3, but if it takes another year I won't be shocked. After year 4, then the seat is more than rightfully hot enough to play around with.

If Riley goes 4-8 this year and ADSE is forced to make a change he will. His tenure will be decided by the replacement he chooses.

ADSE already fired the last coach and hired Riley. His tenure is attached to Riley.
No, it's not. At least it doesn't have to be. If this year starts really badly and he makes a move mid season he will easily save his job. He was brought in to fire Bo and change the culture. He has done that.

To play Devil's Advocate, we must remember the perception if Riley were to have a poor season - a relatively young athletic director fired a nine win head coach and replaced him with an underwhelming head coach. I think a majority of SE's future at Nebraska is tied to Riley, for better or worse.

Ultimately, SE was not hired to fire Bo and change the culture. SE was hired to grow the brand and success of Nebraska football.

• Fire 1