Time Change or Locations change? Hmm

ScottyIce

you guys sound like a bunch of little kids.  It is a big deal to those planning on attending the game.  2k mile drive into an inferno with bad weather conditions,  maybe  5K invested in  a trip at this point.  They need to make a decision and do it fast.  I find it hard to drive Palm Springs with no idea if the game will be played or not.  I am sure I am not the only one in this situation.   Yes or no, live with it, but don't wait until Friday to decide.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, skersfan said:

you guys sound like a bunch of little kids.  It is a big deal to those planning on attending the game.  2k mile drive into an inferno with bad weather conditions,  maybe  5K invested in  a trip at this point.  They need to make a decision and do it fast.  I find it hard to drive Palm Springs with no idea if the game will be played or not.  I am sure I am not the only one in this situation.   Yes or no, live with it, but don't wait until Friday to decide.

The game is not moving, this whole thread is pointless, my family lives there and said it is no big deal, and will clear off by today.

50 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I would assume they will wait as long as they can before they make a decision to cancel the game unless there is an immediate threat to the campus/stadium. Unfortunately it is the risk you as a fan are taking when planning a trip like this. 

Local TV station 10/11 is reporting that the air quality in Eugene is improving and expected to be much better by the end of the week.

Oregon air quality expected to improve in time for Nebraska game

AIRQ-OREGON.JPG
By 1011 News | 
Posted: Wed 10:53 AM, Sep 06, 2017  | 
Updated: Wed 11:13 AM, Sep 06, 2017

Eugene, OREGON The Nebraska football team is set to play Oregon Saturday at 3:30 p.m. CDT, but currently, Eugene, Oregon is experiencing air quality problems.

Smoke from multiple wildfires burning in the region is causing air quality issues in the Willamette Valley.

As of Wednesday morning, the air quality in Eugene is unhealthy. This means people with heart or lung disease, older adults and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion. Everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.

Looking ahead into the rest of the week, good air quality is expected as west winds are expected to continue through Friday, and switching to out of the north by the weekend.

So if the forecast holds true, tailgaters and players shouldn't be affected.

• Plus1 2

We have been waiting for an official announcement, but if we are going to get there we need to leave today.  We can always turn away from the area if they cancel.  My point was that it affects a lot more than just watching the game for some.

I live in wild fire country,  I have never heard of a game being cancelled.  LA just finished having the largest fire in its history and USC and UCLA played with no notice of health danger.  I guess we are just more used to it than other areas.   Two major fires have burnt right next to my property over the last ten years.  Deal with ash every fall, and it comes from as far away as 100 miles.  It seems it maybe a bit over the top on the precaution, but who knows.  Will monitor and if need be cut that part of the trip out I guess.

We see smoke like the picture, but would have to agree I have never seen it near the stadium.  Does not mean it was not there, but have never seen.   The last one we drove thru 100 foot flames on Twin pines road to get people out.

Was looking forward to the beauty of Oregon, does not sound like that is really going to be possible.

4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

We have been waiting for an official announcement, but if we are going to get there we need to leave today.  We can always turn away from the area if they cancel.  My point was that it affects a lot more than just watching the game for some.

I live in wild fire country,  I have never heard of a game being cancelled.  LA just finished having the largest fire in its history and USC and UCLA played with no notice of health danger.  I guess we are just more used to it than other areas.   Two major fires have burnt right next to my property over the last ten years.  Deal with ash every fall, and it comes from as far away as 100 miles.  It seems it maybe a bit over the top on the precaution, but who knows.  Will monitor and if need be cut that part of the trip out I guess

Perhaps the state of Oregon cares more about it's people than California does.

In all honesty, I think the people monitoring the situation care more about the people that are there as opposed to the people that WANT to be there.  Which is the correct outlook.

44 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Local TV station 10/11 is reporting that the air quality in Eugene is improving and expected to be much better by the end of the week.

Oregon air quality expected to improve in time for Nebraska game

AIRQ-OREGON.JPG
By 1011 News | 
Posted: Wed 10:53 AM, Sep 06, 2017  | 
Updated: Wed 11:13 AM, Sep 06, 2017

Eugene, OREGON The Nebraska football team is set to play Oregon Saturday at 3:30 p.m. CDT, but currently, Eugene, Oregon is experiencing air quality problems.

Smoke from multiple wildfires burning in the region is causing air quality issues in the Willamette Valley.

As of Wednesday morning, the air quality in Eugene is unhealthy. This means people with heart or lung disease, older adults and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion. Everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.

Looking ahead into the rest of the week, good air quality is expected as west winds are expected to continue through Friday, and switching to out of the north by the weekend.

So if the forecast holds true, tailgaters and players shouldn't be affected.

There's a lot of "if" with that forecast, to be honest. 

Plus, there are a lot of danger spots that fans traveling will need to go through to get there. 

Just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze in this case. 

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

There's a lot of "if" with that forecast, to be honest. 

Plus, there are a lot of danger spots that fans traveling will need to go through to get there. 

Just not sure the juice is worth the squeeze in this case. 

LOL yea, just for the fun of it, I did a google maps driving directions from Lincoln, NE to Eugene, OR. It said 25 hours driving time. Well that's without fires or game day traffic. If someone is planning on coming via Hwy 126.......... good luck with that. You'll be heading right into the fires. They evacuated part of that area last night. Very possible that they won't let traffic through. Plus, if they do, add several hours to your driving time.

Next best option is via Portland and I-84 of course part of that was closed due to fires yesterday. So add another couple hours, plus if you are driving I-5 between Portland on "Game Day" for BOTH Oregon State AND the Univ of Oregon. So add a few more hours.

Other option might be via Klamath Falls. That could be your best bet.

If you leave right now and average about 9 hours driving time a day you might make kick off.

13 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I do apologize for the Pat Forde sighting.

As well you should. :D He keeps turning up like a bad penny, though.

Seriously, though, they just need to call this game off. It's not worth risking the health of fans, players, and staff. 

28 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

LOL yea, just for the fun of it, I did a google maps driving directions from Lincoln, NE to Eugene, OR. It said 25 hours driving time. Well that's without fires or game day traffic. If someone is planning on coming via Hwy 126.......... good luck with that. You'll be heading right into the fires. They evacuated part of that area last night. Very possible that they won't let traffic through. Plus, if they do, add several hours to your driving time.

Next best option is via Portland and I-84 of course part of that was closed due to fires yesterday. So add another couple hours, plus if you are driving I-5 between Portland on "Game Day" for BOTH Oregon State AND the Univ of Oregon. So add a few more hours.

If you leave right now and average about 9 hours driving time a day you might make kick off.

Thanks. I don't think people realize that the logistics of getting there are going to be extremely compromised. Plus, just because it *may* rain and get better at game time, it doesn't mean it won't get worse by the time these fans leave or get worse the next day again. 

Feel really bad for the folks up in Oregon having to go through this, btw. :(  

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

As well you should. :D He keeps turning up like a bad penny, though.

Seriously, though, they just need to call this game off. It's not worth risking the health of fans, players, and staff. 

Thanks. I don't think people realize that the logistics of getting there are going to be extremely compromised. Plus, just because it *may* rain and get better at game time, it doesn't mean it won't get worse by the time these fans leave or get worse the next day again. 

Feel really bad for the folks up in Oregon having to go through this, btw. :(  

We're hanging in there. I just got back from the grocery store. Just saw a guy on the on exit ramp with a cardboard sign... you know the guys.... Only this guy was wearing a paper face mask and he had it pulled down under his chin while he was smoking a cig..... Funny yes, sad yes, just don't know what to say after that.

36 minutes ago, GoDucks349 said:

We're hanging in there. I just got back from the grocery store. Just saw a guy on the on exit ramp with a cardboard sign... you know the guys.... Only this guy was wearing a paper face mask and he had it pulled down under his chin while he was smoking a cig..... Funny yes, sad yes, just don't know what to say after that.

Man, if you'd have gotten a picture of that with any modicum of composition, that may have gotten you into a National Geographic!

Even if the air is downgraded from unhealthy, I feel bad for any players who have mild asthma or allergies.

Each year around Independence Day, I have to take a break from running outside (if I'm in my rare exercise mode). The smoke just from fireworks keep me from getting enough oxygen to my muscles. I can't imagine wildfire smoke!

It wasn't an issue in central Nebraska, but the first time I tried to run in Lincoln, I was literally too pooped to poop. I used to use that phrase when I was fatigued, but now that I've actually experienced it, I don't go into that hyperbole any more.

IMG_3282.GIF

1 hour ago, GoDucks349 said:

Don't remind me.  I'm taking my dad to PDX that morning and driving back.  I did this two years ago as well when Michigan State was in town.  Pure torture on I-5.